Profile for The Alchemist > Reviews

The Alchemist

Feeling the Love
Feeling the Love
Offered by diana11802

5.0 out of 5 stars A rock song that's great fun - and no spandex in sight!, 15 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Feeling the Love (Audio CD)
If you've seen the Lynx Touch advert on TV recently, you'll know this track - judging by the frenzy I've seen on websites dedicated to finding out what music is used in particular adverts, this is going to be HUGE!
The song itself is pretty simple but manages to sound extremely cool, with dirty guitar riffs, lustful lyrics and a chorus that's simply catchy as hell! The Indian vibes sound great too, reminiscent of Kula Shaker at their kula-st (pardon the pun :o)
The song's accompanied by a suitably sleazy video of the band being roasted in an oven by two girls straight out of a men's magazine...Actually, even as a girl, I found it quite funny and tongue-in-cheek - as opposed to the aggressive ho-dissing that goes on in some rap/r'n'b videos. The guys have certainly got a sense of humour, but unlike The Darkness, there's no manic screeching or spandex catsuits in sight! They don't seem to take themselves too seriously, which is a healthy attitude I reckon.
All in all, this is a great debut from Reactor - let's hope they keep up the good work!

This Is the Last Time
This Is the Last Time
Offered by Amtrak123

5.0 out of 5 stars wow!, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: This Is the Last Time (Audio CD)
This is a deliriously catchy song - somehow it sounds completely innocent and passionate at the same time. It is a simple song that could have been unremarkable if released by another band, but Keane make it work brilliantly. The vocals change from fragile to powerful and then back again, which is what makes this song so sublime. Apart from Tom Chaplin, I think the only person who could possibly have pulled it off is Fran Healy from Travis.
Based on this and their other two singles, my guess is that by the time the album comes out in May, Keane will have gained a lot more fans, and deservedly so!

Somewhere Only We Know
Somewhere Only We Know
Offered by Musical Notes

5.0 out of 5 stars Does something beautiful NEED to be complicated?, 17 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Somewhere Only We Know (Audio CD)
Having just read not one, but two damning reviews by the same person, I felt I had to ask the question above! In my opinion, Keane are nothing like Coldplay - I do love Coldplay but to my knowledge, they don't have a monopoly on pianos! Keane do their own thing - and do it wonderfully. The magic is in the vocals and the lush string arrangements as much as the piano.
I was eagerly awaiting the release of Somewhere Only We Know, but it was the B-sides that really astounded me. Snowed Under could be a single in its own right, Walnut Tree would make a fantastic album closer - and if these songs aren't deemed good enough for the album, well Keane have obviously got extremely high standards...!
I can't say with authority whether Keane's music is groundbreaking or not, but if it sounds this beautiful and life-affirming, frankly I don't mind! I don't think emotion in music should be limited to angst, sadness or misery. It could be just as powerful when it puts a smile on your face (no Coldplay reference intended! :o) and makes you feel happy, just like the second track on this single, declaring "I don't know why I waste my time, getting hung up about the things you say, when I open my eyes and it's a lovely day!"
As for Somewhere Only We Know being repetitive...I guess that has to do with being played to death on the radio, the fate of many wonderful songs (which is one of the reasons I hardly listen to the radio these days). Buy this single and listen to it in the context of the gorgeous B-sides, and it'll make sense. Listen to Keane's first two singles, Everybody's Changing and This Is The Last Time, or the live tracks on the band's website and I reckon you won't be able to resist. The album cannot come soon enough!
Tom Chaplin's voice is pure and full of emotion, and works brilliantly on these simple, beautiful songs. Keane are young and enthusiastic - comparisons with the jaded and the weary are not the point. We all need to forget about our troubles and let ourselves be enchanted sometimes.