Profile for Alioth > Reviews

Content by Alioth

Alioth

Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 Grey - smartphones (Single SIM, Android, EDGE, GPRS, GSM, HSDPA, bar, 3G)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great smartphone, the screen disappoints, 15 Dec. 2011
Samsung Galaxy Y is my first smartphone. I have been using it for a month and I really like it. It is not a fully featured phone: it doesn't support flash (so you can't watch BBC iPlayer) and the screen is fuzzy (resolution 240x320) compared to top of the range, or even similarly priced phones like Orange San Francisco (480x800). The screen is not pixelized, but it's not as good quality as a standard computer monitor, which makes a difference for gaming. Having said that, the phone has many features that make-up for its flaws: the touch screen is very responsive, and the processor is fast (832 MHz, compared with San Francisco's 600 MHz).
The phone comes ready to use with pre-loaded apps but if it's your thing, you can customize almost everything. If you're used to a standard Android system, probably you will want to customize it as Samsung added their own 'improvements' (some of them better than others), such as a horizontal scrolling app drawer. One of my favourite things about the software is that it has a Swype keyboard, which lets you type by swiping your finger from letter to letter instead of tapping. It makes typing very easy, and you can't buy it on the Market.
The rest of the phone's features are pretty standard. The camera is adequate for using from time to time, and the battery lasts a few days of light use. The phone is very slim, light and easy to hold.
Overall, this is a pretty good entry-level phone available at a great price (£89.99 from O2). It does almost everything that the fully-featured phones do, and is totally adequate for making phonecalls, browsing web, reading (short) ebooks, viewing Powerpoint presentations and staying entertained during commuting. I regret that the screen is not as good as it could be, but I can always turn on my PC for good quality graphics.

Sekonda Ladies Diamond Watch 4126.27
Sekonda Ladies Diamond Watch 4126.27

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, but very small, 15 Dec. 2011
I really like this watch, it has a great quality leather straps and the gold plated face sparkles beautifully. It's very elegant and understated. However, the watch is very small, and the strap is slim. It still looks very beautiful, but it isn't as large as the photo suggests. The mother of pearl face is of a very light cream colour and sparkles subtly, the diamond is too tiny for a sparkle. It would look better if they put in a larger cubic zirconia or a semi precious stone instead. The presentation box is a standard cushioned faux leather. Overall a great purchase, however not what I expected.

Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub
Burt's Bees Citrus Facial Scrub

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit too coarse, 11 Aug. 2011
I have used a small pot of this scrub, available in Burt's Bees Facial Kit. It's very thick and grainy. To use it, you need to take a small amount on your hand, and mix it with a little water, to form a paste. It has a great smell reminding me of home baking, I could mostly smell cloves and nutmeg. However, I found the grains a bit too coarse, and the scrub scratched my face a bit too hard.

The ingredients list:
Vegetable glycerin, sweet almond oil, almonds, oat flour, orange peel powder, rose petal powder, pecan shell powder, grapefruit seed extract, nutmeg powder, clove powder, orange oil, tocopherol (vitamin E), rosemary extract, soybean oil, water, glucose, fragrance, canola oil, sodium chloride, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxidase, geraniol, limonene.

Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Facial Cleansing Cream, 170g
Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Facial Cleansing Cream, 170g

2.0 out of 5 stars Not an effective cleanser, 5 Aug. 2011
I bought this product as I like the Burt's Bees brand, and a large tub seemed a good value. However, I must say I am disappointed. The product doesn't remove make-up effectively, so I need to use it twice and tone with something containing alcohol. As the cleanser itself contains quite a large amount of it already (it's a natural preservative), my skin receives an alcohol feast every evening! I must say I would prefer a chemical additive, which would be better for my skin.

Here is the ingredients list of the Burt's Bees Soap Bark and Chamomile Deep Cleansing Creme:
Water, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, stearic acid, glycerin, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, cetearyl alcohol, polysorbate 60, sodium borate, cetyl alcohol, silica, glucose, hamamelis virginiana (witch hazel) leaf extract, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, anthemis nobilis (chamomile) flower extract, echinacea angustifolia (coneflower) extract, quillaja saponaria (soap) bark extract, theobroma cacao (cocoa) seed butter, rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, tocopherol, citrus medica limonum (lemon) peel oil, coriandrum sativum (cilantro) oil, artemisia dracunculus (tarragon) oil, lavandula hybrida (lavandin) oil, jasminum grandiflorum (jasmine) flower oil, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, menthol, glucose oxidase, lactoperoxida

There is a lot of plant extracts (very impressive), sunflower oil and glycerin which make up a lovely creamy consistency. The cream is very light and doesn't foam. It seems to disappear into your skin very quickly, making it harder to spread. Sometimes, the alcohol fumes go up to my eyes, but it's bearable. The product is somewhat moisturizing.
The packaging is not very economical, if you own this product cut the tube open after you think it's finished - there will be good few inches left there!

To summarize, I struggle to place this product into my daily routine. Since it doesn't remove make-up, I am concerned if it can remove all the impurities on the skin. It may be suitable for a morning wash, or as one of several cleansing steps. It has many impressive plant extracts and moisturizing ingredients, however it also contains large amounts of alcohol.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2012 2:13 PM BST

Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, 120g
Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser, 120g

4.0 out of 5 stars A natural product that works, however a bit expensive, 5 Aug. 2011
I got this item as a sample and immediately decided to buy a whole bottle. It has balanced indredients and doesn't contain any soap, silicone and parabens. It is suitable for most skin types, it worked well on my oily/combination skin. It has a moisturising base and active ingredients such as orange oil which, according to Burt's Bees claims, help to clear out pores. Result: clearer skin without loosing the moisture.
Here is the list of ingredients. The explanation of what they do comes below:

Vegetable glycerin, olive oil, orange oil, oat flour, lanolin, oat oil, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, vegetable oil & beta carotene, tocopherol (vitamin E), quillaja extract, rosemary leaf oil.

Botanical and active ingredients are high in the list which means that there is a substantial amount of them. Vegetable glycerin, lanolin and oils are moisturisers (emollients) which are partly absorbed by skin. I found them working good on my quite sensitive and spots prone face but they may clog pores.
Orange oil is a quite powerful substance and can irritate sensitive skin. It's good for purifying pores.
Oat flour is an additive.
Aloe leaf juice: surprisingly there is a mixed evidence of any effects it has on skin.
Vitamin E, beta-carotene and oat oil are all antioxidants.
Quillaja extract has water binding and cleansing properties.
Rosemary oil can be an antioxidant and can cause irritation. In this cosmetic the amount is probably to small to work at all.

To sum up, the list of ingredients is really good, without any nasty surprises, and it does work well to cleanse your face. The cleanser made my skin hydrated. I am not sure if it made a noticeable difference to my spots, as I only used one tub. I also love the smell!
As all the cosmetics, Burt's Bees Orange Essence Facial Cleanser won't make your skin completely flawless, but it's really worth a try!

However, the product is quite expensive for a small amount that you get, and it's not very economical. It doesn't foam well, so you do need to use a larger amount. Therefore, although I really like the product, I would only buy it if on offer.

BaByliss 2088CU Pro 230 Elegance Straightener Blueberry
BaByliss 2088CU Pro 230 Elegance Straightener Blueberry

5.0 out of 5 stars Great professional product, 2 Aug. 2011
This is a first hair straightener I bought, and I was instantly impressed.
The product took only a couple of days to arrive, and when I opened the box I found a stylish dark blue straightener, 4 clips, the storage bag and a heat proof mat.
I agree with the previous reviews that the bag is too small to store the straighteners. I did manage to fit them in my bending the cable forcibly at the joint, pushing the straighteners into the bottom of the bag and placing the plug in the middle top part of the bag. I was worried that this may damage the cable so I'm now using the bag for something else. The straighteners are happily wrapped into the heat proof mat for storage.
And now onto the product itself: the straighteners are very easy to use, and the temperature range from 150 to 230°C is a great plus. On my quite straight but frizzy hair, they work well at the lowest setting. It takes me less than 10 minutes to achieve a great look. I can also turn them up and have a go at styling, however so far I only managed some (natural looking) waves. Since this straightener has a square frame, curling is not easy.
Overall, a great product for hair straightening! A great purchase at a bargain price.