Profile for fizz > Reviews

Bastard Pleasure, The
Bastard Pleasure, The
by Sean McGrady

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bastard Pleasure, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Bastard Pleasure, The (Paperback)
As I set McGrady's latest offering down, I am a little shellshocked. The lilt and rhythm are what I have come to recognise as his.The plot was unexpected. Be in no doubt, this novel will leave you with a book hangover.

Within recent memory are the body searches, the Army and RUC patrols as they try and bring order to the death ridden,terror filled streets of Belfast; while the great Ulster populace attempt normality in any way they can. The trudge to work through burnt out cars and bombed buildings, safety and sanity in routine. Yet even in this routine, danger and life changing decisions are to be had. The Ulster humour and craic pokes through and will have you belly laughing while you weep as the story unfolds.

Through shouts of 'No Surrender and Brits Out' Seamus McGladdery takes us to his work at Ingalls Bakery and it is there we are challenged to take sides..as we took sides during 'The Troubles' but to expect the expected is naive with this author.
The story shows how the warring sides used the Ulster violence to set their own agendas and how the street justice of the 'Kangaroo Courts' was well used by both.

Challenging, provocative and at times uncomfortable this novel leaves me wishing that Seamus McGladdery had stayed a boy trying to spend a stolen fiver.

Whatever happened to the Windsors [DVD]
Whatever happened to the Windsors [DVD]
Offered by Special Interests

4.0 out of 5 stars The Windsors, 28 July 2013
This DVD is a fab teaching resource as well as general interest in 20th century history. Factual and interesting look into the world of monarchy.

In A Time Lapse
In A Time Lapse

5.0 out of 5 stars Lapsed Time, 1 April 2013
This review is from: In A Time Lapse (Audio CD)
This is the most chilled CD I have heard in a long time. My children even like it enough to let me listen to it in the car!

Lonely Planet Morocco (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Morocco (Travel Guide)
by Paul Clammer

4.0 out of 5 stars Morocco, 1 April 2013
Wished I had spent more time reading it before I went..but a definitive guide and a must buy for first time travellers to Morocco.

The Middle-Class ABC
The Middle-Class ABC
by Zebedee Helm

5.0 out of 5 stars So 'fun' so true!, 1 April 2013
This review is from: The Middle-Class ABC (Hardcover)
You will all recognise a little bit of self in this....haven't stopped laughing; and have been bringing it to 'kitchen suppers' as a thank you rather than booze!

The Backslider
The Backslider
by Sean McGrady

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 12 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Backslider (Paperback)
Just fell off the Moonston express, I hurtled through Maruis's day hanging on for dear life, as he jumped from thought, to word, to idea, to excuses, to manifestation of his thought process....Once on this train you can't get off .....it is disturbing, challenging, engaging and hilariously funny and left me giggling at work as I recalled the nosiness at the bomb scare ( haven't we all hung around to see what will happen!) Being called a Lisbian, that was indeed a revelation!
Marius swaggers with the rhythm and confidence of Mr Bloom, and I wonder if Bloom shocked Dublin as Moonston will shock evangelical Belfast....I think so.

Now I have been ejected I will have no choice but to get back on that train and walk those streets with Marius and Linus one more time.....at least.
This is a re-reader, in a time when Mr Grey is hailed as a success ( I gave him up at pg 44 because I was seriously bored!) it was an intense pleasure to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck, and demands made on me, to switch off my life and fully engage with that teenage boy, his rantings and ravings, and life through Moonston coloured glasses.

Monopoly City Board Game
Monopoly City Board Game
Offered by a1 Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Monoply, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Monopoly City Board Game (Toy)
The older version was played continuallly on holiday this summer. This version is even better and just as much fun!