Profile for AllThingsBooks > Reviews

Content by AllThingsBooks

AllThingsBooks "WGx" (Glasgow)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
Waiting For Prince Harry (A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance)
Waiting For Prince Harry (A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars!, 4 Nov. 2015
This book is all about Kylie and Prince Harry - well, Harrison Flynn. Harrison is a local celebrity, a hockey player and a player into the bargain! Kylie meets him in a bar whilst at her brothers wedding, she is hiding from her overbearing family & stumbles upon him, actually, she pours upon him a glass of wine!

Kylie isn't your typical lead romance female - she doesn't whine, feel sorry for herself and mope around. She is clever, artistic and full of energy. Sure, she is shy but it is an endearing trait not an irritating one.

There are twists & turns, smiles & sadness, hope & happiness and everything in between.

"I can be your Prince Harry tonight." You already are, I think as his lips meet mine.

I truly recommend this novel! It will lift you from any book slump.

Surviving the Rachel
Surviving the Rachel

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolute and complete perfection, 4 Nov. 2015
Aven Ellis has brought us Connectivity (UK/US), Waiting on Prince Harry (UK/US), Chronicles of a Lincoln Park Fashionista (UK/US) and now she brings us SURVIVING THE RACHEL.

This is another witty, comical and heart warming books by one of my all time favourite authors. Again, Aven has brought us a tough minded and strong spirited female lead in the form of Bree Logan.

Nothing screams "I'm a woman ready for a change" than a completely new hairstyle. And if anyone needs a change, it's me, Bree Logan.

Bree has finished her studies on a high and is planning to move to the city with her boyfriend when he suddenly dumps her, leaving her saddled with an apartment she can't afford and no where else to go other than back to her mom and dads to figure out her next move. This is where the fun kicks in...Bree's Mom. She is an overbearing, pushy and far too much of an over-sharer but I still kinda liked her.

So you're sure you want to know all the PR your mom has done on your behalf?

Now right about here, I've gotta throw Diva into the mix. Diva is Bree's mom's happy little dog who likes to get Bree into all sorts of trouble. She is my guilty pleasure!

"So is this," he says, sweeping his arm out toward Diva and her puddle, "how you planned to introduce yourself to me, Breanna Logan?"

The above quote brings me to Jack, Bree's new neighbour. Jack is anything but Bree's type, but for some reason, they seem to have a connection. Even if that connection is built on embarrassment.

The story of Jack and Bree is a journey of self discovery, endings and beginnings and learning to love again. The dialogue is engaging, the story flows beautifully and the characters are so full of life and love that it's impossible not to adore Surviving the Rachel.

"Now that," he says, squeezing my hand in his, "is what I call a silver lining. No. Make it platinum."

The Aubrey Rules (Chicago on Ice Series Book 1)
The Aubrey Rules (Chicago on Ice Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Rule-Breaking, Yes-Checking Stars, 4 Nov. 2015
"I've ripped up all my precautions and rules because of you."

Aven Ellis can do no wrong - seriously, she has yet to deliver anything other than five-star, heart-warming, romantic, I-can't-wait-to-read-this novels and this is another which does not disappoint.

Aubrey Paige is a Social Media expert who has recently taken on a job at one of the top firms in Chicago. She is sassy, quirky, clever and has lived her life by her own self made rules.

'When you have a meeting with someone important, confidence is key. You stride into the meeting, not walk. You maintain eye contact. You speak with authority. You win this meeting.
**Note: Okay, obviously I was high when I wrote this rule.

Beckett Riley is the Captain of the Chicago Buffaloes hockey team - on the ice he is confident, demanding and bold. Off the ice, he is the polar opposite.

He's sexy, he's funny, he's kind, and he will be the death of me.

Aubrey and Beckett stumble upon each other - quite literally - in the elevator of the building they are both living in under some unconventional circumstances. This was one of those classic meet-cute moments which went oh-so-wrong but made me feel all the oh-so-rights!

Aubrey is one of those heroines who is relatable - she is grounded, loyal and has just the right amount of self-confidence vs lack of it.

Beckett is even more of an unconventional leading male but one that made me swoon at least a hundred times over.

Where is my Captain Smart Ass?

There isn't an Aven novel that I'd go into with anything less than stellar expectations - the woman has set herself a high bar but constantly manages to outdo herself.

Happiness floats down my spine. I know I'm in trouble. Big, big, trouble.

This was the best moment in the entire novel for me and to understand it - you HAVE TO READ IT!

"Thermals, aromatics, messy buns...and to think two weeks ago I pretty much talked hockey nonstop. What are you doing to me, Aubrey Paige?"

Aven - you wrote this line and I'll repeat it back to you a million times over if you keep supply me with Beckett-style Men...

"I'm so lucky I checked yes."

Breakout (A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance)
Breakout (A Dallas Demons Hockey Romance)

5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic, packed with humor and a sassy lead!, 4 Nov. 2015
5 Sparkly Stars!

Aven Ellis is my go to author - if I'm sad, her books will cheer me up. If I'm happy, they will keep me there. If I'm insecure, they will provide me some reassurance. If I need reminding that the world isn't a horrible place, they'll do that and BREAKOUT was no different - it is everything anyone needs in a romance novel and so much more.

"Come on, Lexi, trust me. Give me one of your hands."

Breakout is the story of Lexi and Niko - Lexi is a young, vibrant video editor who lands a summer job at a corporate firm doing work that, whilst great experience, isn't exactly what she wants to be doing. Whilst working there she meets Niko - the Dallas Demons TV producer. Niko is new to the role and the cit and is looking to prove himself worthy whilst also learning to live in an entirely new place.

The two of them have a an instant connection, though neither of them are willing to let their hearts or bodies make the moves as they've both got a crap ton of baggage from various aspects of their lives.

Lexi is such an adorable character - I related to her on almost every level and her internal dialogue made me laugh out loud almost every other page.

"My life really is an episode of Gossip Girl"

Then we have Niko...how do I describe Niko? ... ***comes back to computer after daydreaming for an hour***

Niko is:

Hard working
Focused
Funny
Clever
Adorable
Manly
Hot

Did I mention he is HOT?!

I was lucky enough to be a beta reader for this book as it was being written and since its been finished, I've re-read it twice...that's THREE TIMES in a year! It is just that GOOD!!!

Making Faces
Making Faces

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 29 April 2015
This review is from: Making Faces (Kindle Edition)
My first Amy Harmon novel - I'm glad I read it as it was well written, sweet, touching and loving but I don't put it up there with the best books I've ever read.

Ambrose is our hero - he is strong, caring, a great friend and very damaged.

"And if he was being honest with himself, he wasn't Hercules and he wasn't The Tin Man. He was The Cowardly Lion."

Fern serves as our lead female and she was very down to earth - she seemed like she was a typical girl next door with a s e x y twist.

"She was small and homely. Ugly."

The friendships in this book is what made it for me. This quote sums it up.

"Good friends are hard to find. They take care of each other and watch out for each other, and sometimes they even die for their friends.

A lot of my friends absolutely LOVED this novel and are struggling to understand why I didn't fall head over heels for it - but it just didnt speak to me in the way it did to others.

A solid 3.5 Stars for writing style and relatability.

The Pact
The Pact

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Refreshingly Real, Loving Stars, 28 April 2015
This review is from: The Pact (Kindle Edition)
It all started with a pinky swear…

Karina Halle has written many novels and this was mt first venture into anything of hers - I am now hooked!

This book is thought provoking, realistic, swoon-worthy and written flawlessly.

"I don't want to lose them. But as I look around the table, I'm wondering if that's just the way things go in life. Age brought us together, age will tear us apart."

Steph is our lead female and whom the book centres around. She is spunky and very loveable - she makes mistakes in life which makes her all the more relateable.

Linden is our lead male - he is Scottish (being a Scot myself, I love them!) and a Pilot...yes, ladies - you may swoon!

The two of them grow up together and decide to make a pact to marry when they are 30 if none of them are in relationships.

“I wanted Steph. My best friend. She was my baby blue and I was her cowboy. So a pact, a foolish, naÔve pact, was born.”

This seems simple enough, right?

Wrong.

"The door shuts behind him. I breathe out a giant sigh of relief. It's followed by nothing but regret."

Throughout their twenties, they encounter trials and tribulations which are conspiring to keep them apart. Fate doesn't descriminate.

"I'd give her up for you," I tell her, staring at her relentlessly until she's forced to meet my eyes again, if just for a second. "I'd give up everything for you."

The s e x is incredible - hot, steamy and filled with passion.

"I'm going to relish every inch of your body until you're begging for release. Then, I'm going to f u c k you so good, that you'll still feel me inside you days later."

I loved everything about this book and found it such a refreshing change to the usual romance stories these days.

Five excellently deserved stars.

10 Years Later: A Second Chance Romance
10 Years Later: A Second Chance Romance

4.0 out of 5 stars Four second chance, addictive stars, 27 April 2015
"You're supposed to talk me off the ledge, not walk me to it

J. Sterling is one of my all time favourite people - let alone favourite author! She is funny, sassy and always makes time for her fans which I adore. I loved The Perfect Game, The Game Changer and The Sweetest Game but this was my first Jenn novel in over a year.

Well. Worth. The. Wait!

"You cant expect me to resist that kind of temptation every night, babe.

Cammie and Dalton went to school together - whilst they weren't officially dating, it was pretty obvious they were head over heels. Unfortunately, circumstances have kept them apart for 10 years and the 10 year reunion is the perfect place for them to meet again.

"My heart was beating so violently that I was convinced I was having a heart attack. This wasn't normal, what I was experiencing."

They are so sweet together - sweet and HOT. They are made for each other but this book shows that sometimes fate can be quite the cruel bitch.

"Thank you for the cookie before dinner." I raised my glass in the air with a smile and said, "Here's to eating dessert first, and to new beginnings."

Jenn has produced another sweet, easy to read novel for the slightly more grown up NA lover and I would tell anyone who loves second chance romances to give this one a shot.
Soon.

Every Time I Think of You
Every Time I Think of You

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Star Must Read, 27 April 2015
“Life without someone to love is a life not fully lived. Don’t waste yours.”

This is my second Tracey Garvis-Graves novel after On the Island and to be honest, I was unsure anything she wrote would live up to how much I adored OTI, hence why I waited as long to pick up another.

I dont know what made me suddenly decide to give this one a go but I'm so glad I did as it well and truly showed the pure brilliance of Tracey Garvis-Graves writing.

Daisy is a young nurse who lives with her grandmother and three year old son, Elliott. Her Grandmother, Pauline, is like a parent to her and takes care of Elliott a lot, allowing Daisy to work at the local hospital. Daisy has rid herself and her family of her ex, Scott, following his recent demise into drug addiction.

Brooks McClain is a reporter for a national newspaper when he has to return to his birth down to help nurse his Mother, who is dying from ALS. As well as nursing his mother, his Father is in need of major emotional support, something that Brooks is not familiar with.

Brooks has been lucky enough to get a job with a local press company whilst he is home and, late one night, he is called out to report on the death of Pauline - Daisy's Grandmother. It is a surprising death in the small town and once Brooks sets eyes on Daisy - he is compelled to help her.

“She was the kind of woman you might overlook in a dark, crowded bar, but the first one you’d notice when the lights came up. In other words, she was exactly my type.”

The two of them are thrown together in unfotunate circumstances - throw in an ongoing investigation, no closure of her Grandmothers death, stalking and harrassment, progressive ALS and a three year old and everything is stacked against them.

The rest of this story plays out beautifully and is very well paced. Each chapter leaves you wanting to continue on and immerses you in the story.

The icing on the cake was Elliott - he was the sweetest, most unassuming kid ever who filled my heart with the warm fuzzies.

It was a five star read for me and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for something slightly different.

Favourite Quotes

“What about you? What do you want for Christmas?” “It hardly seems fair to ask for more when I’m looking at everything I’ve ever wanted.”

“I didn’t come back because you needed me. I came back because I needed you.”

“Wine is essential after a visit to Chuck E. Cheese’s. They should really give you a bottle on your way out.”

Revved
Revved
by Samantha Towle

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Fast, Feverish Stars, 27 April 2015
This review is from: Revved (Paperback)
"From the moment I saw you in the garage, bent over my car with your hair tied up, I haven't been able to get the image out of my mind of me unravelling it and getting my hands all tangled up in it while I f*** you - hard."

Samantha Towle has given us some pretty hot book boyfriends in her time - The Mighty Storm, Wethering the Storm, Taming the Storm and Trouble - were all addictive novels to read but Revved takes the trophy for s e x i e s t yet!

Andi is a female mechanic - stong willed in nature and a stunning mix of Brazillian and English beauty. She has been bred in the Formula 1 curcuit with her Dad and Uncle and moved back to Brazil when she was young. Andi is an amazing lead female - she's a perfect mix of shy, outgoing, s e x y and tomboy-ish. She mutters rubbish at the same time as speaking such sense and yes, I realise all of the above are contradictions but that's what Mrs Towle has done - balanced her beautifully.

"Why can't I stop talking? I know I'm making it worse, but the words just keep spilling."

"I always want you to be who you are. Don't ever try to be someone you're not. I happen to really f***ing like who you are."

Carrick is one of the top Formula 1 drivers in the world - he is a play boy on and off the track leaving a trail of destruction in his wake. Or at least the papers make it seem this way. He is s e x personified - everything about him made me go weak at the knees...over and over again.

"Every f*** is a good f*** Andressa - at least with me it is."

Their story is different to anything I've read in a long time - it was refreshingly real, the characters messed up and weren't perfect and that alone made me fall in love with Revved that little bit more.

A gem of a novel from Samantha Towle - bring on Revived!

Night Owl (The Night Owl Trilogy Book 1)
Night Owl (The Night Owl Trilogy Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars 5 Sizzling, Steamy, Sexy Stars, 27 April 2015
"I glared down at my c0ck.
"Hold your fcuking horses," I muttered.
God, fcuk… was this seriously my life? Stalking a girl I'd met online, parked outside her house at midnight, speaking to my d1ck?"

Someone remind me again why I waited so long to read this one?? Anyone?! No, ok - I'll berate myself!

This was quite possibly one of the hottest books I've ever read. I'm not going to sugar coat it - I was openly blushing and panting throughout it. I think listening to it on audio made it hotter and next time I must remind myself to keep the windows of the car closed at traffic lights. That was embarrasing.

"God, I felt amazing. I felt tattered in the best possible way, like our violent passion had blasted me clean. When I eased off Matt's arm and climbed out of his bed, I knew that I was leaving something behind. It was my old skin. He'd taken me for all I was worth."

Matt and Hannah 'meet' online in a writers forum and strike up a platonic relationship:

"No specifics, no last name, no phone number. Nothing. I don't want to know you, and I don't want you to know me. We write together online, that's it. I'm not looking for a new friend. I'm looking for a writing partner."

Now I'm going to throw this out there, there is a cheating element in this novel. It's stated right there in the synopsis - and it is handled as tastefully as is possible when dealing with infidelity.

They are both at a crossroads in their lives and happen to start chatting about things other than books at an appropriate time for each of them.

The passion that ensues literally jumps off the pages - it is hot, sexy, menacing and twisted.

"God, Hannah. I've been thinking about fcuking you. It's like there's something wrong with me. I can't stop thinking about it. I want my body against yours, my c0ck inside of you. It's driving me wild. Does that frighten you?"

The rest of the story deals with a plethora of issues from cheating to addiciton and it is handled with such honesty.

“But there’s no such thing as loneliness. There is only the idea of loneliness.”

A well deserved five stars from me and I can't wait to jump into the next in the series.

N.B. The whole who is he/she surrounding M Pierce has me stumped - I was sure it was a girl, then a particular line convinced me it was a guy and now I'm totally undecided. What's your thoughts?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9