Profile for fooxman > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
FoneM8 - HTC Desire Black Gel Case Skin, Includes Screen Protector
FoneM8 - HTC Desire Black Gel Case Skin, Includes Screen Protector

3.0 out of 5 stars Functional, 19 May 2010
Case fits pretty perfect, the only downsides are; it doesn't look like the case shown in the picture, where you can see the buttons/optical trackball, as the one I received had rubber over this area with 'buttons' printed over where the actual buttons were. My main issue with this case was that mine had the optical trackball section completely covered, which meant I had to try and cut out a hold so that I could actually use it, and as a result I now have 'rough' looking rubber around this area, whereas the rest of the case is smooth.

Need for Speed: Pro Street (PS3)
Need for Speed: Pro Street (PS3)
Offered by GAMES CONSOLES BARGAIN

2.0 out of 5 stars Need for Bug Testing: Pro Street, 15 Jan 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
There's not a lot to say that hasn't already been said about this game, so I will be brief. I would like to highlight a few items that keep this game from greatness (in fairness it's not that bad).

The graphics are good, and all the sounds etc. are spot on. However, a few items of concern are as follows: There are a few glitches, the most noticeable of which is that some of the cars have a habit of "jumping" around when lining up to race (literally bouncing like they have hydraulics).

My main concern however, having been through all of the career and got to the final "event" is: not being able to beat Ryo Wantanabe. The game actually cheats to stop you even being able to overtake him, allow me to explain:

I won the grip kings car (BMW M3) and changed the blueprint to "speed", I then added back all the stage 4 parts and played with the final gear ratio so that the M3 tops 210 and beats anything the AI has to offer. However, when racing Ryo, the M3 gets left behind his 4WD Evo off the line but then as I breeze up behind him, I suddenly found myself limited to around 140/150mph.... The only way I found to stop this was to use Nitrous to pass him, then the problem goes away, this also appears to be the case for a couple of other events.

Whilst I also, initially like the "total" system and the fact that damage remains during (and after) race days, there are some desert races where despite having a 4WD super-evo I found that just letting one tyre creep (even slightly) onto the dirt resulted in a catastrophic flip (instead of the 4WD/LSD sorting out the lack of traction like it would in real life) totalling my car.... This prove highly irritating after the tenth attempt of driving fast and in the end I overtook everyone on the first lap then was forced to drive like I was out on a Sunday morning taking in the sights just to get that particular race out of the way.

Despite the negative comments (and unforgivable glitch with Ryo) I did enjoy this game and kept going back `til I'd got all the cars and dominated all events (except the final). If there's a patch correcting these issues I'd recommend this game, if not, then I'd steer clear.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 16, 2008 10:16 PM BST

MotorStorm (PS3)
MotorStorm (PS3)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

4.0 out of 5 stars Going down a storm!, 19 April 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: MotorStorm (PS3) (Video Game)
Motorstorm was the reason I bought my PS3, I got it home, set everything up, put the disc in and just sat back and looked at how gorgeous everything looked. From the intro movie to when you actually start playing everything looks right (almost real) and adds to the excellent experience that is Motorstorm. The first few races you do consist mainly of driving round not quite believing how detailed everything looks, and of course pausing a lot so that you can swing the camera around and admire the mud spraying up as your chosen vehicle romps through the desert!

Ok, first thing's first, the mud, it's awesome, it glistens in the sun, sprays up when you drive through it, it splashes/hits the screen and covers your car... Not to mention the fact that you leave permanent tracks (at least for that race) on the course when you drive through it.

Now that's out the way, the rest. The vehicles you get to drive in the game range from super-fast rally cars to slow big-rigs. Having practically lived the Burnout series Motorstorm initially caused me a lot of problems, there's a boost button, but you have to wait and use it tactically rather than just "wasting" it as with the Burnout games, this proved frustrating on many occasion as the AI opponents you race seem to have boosting down to a fine art and always seem to boost longer and faster than you. The only other thing of note is the start of each race, there have been very few times I've actually stayed up with the pack at the beginning of a race and find this odd, there's obviously a trick to getting a good start, but unless you fluke this you'll be miles back.

Once you do get a few races into Motorstorm, the point of the game seems to come into focus and you learn how to drive the vehicle you have for that race in the correct way (big rigs love mud where-as bikes need to stay high and dry) and the whole game seems to make sense, it really does compel you to play it. That said, you will inevitably get to a race that leaves you pulling your hair out! As there's no option to select which car you have for which race (save for one course - The Grizzly) you really do have to learn the correct route round the track, which, if you miss a shortcut the first few tries, can become exhausting until you finally spot where you're supposed to be going.

There are a few minor niggles with the game, most of which are forgivable however, choosing a car before each race can become a chore, as you can't scroll through them using the text, you have to wait for each to load in turn, which on occasion, has taken a fair few seconds for some of the larger/more detailed car models.

That said, I can't praise Motorstorm enough, it has convinced me that there's massive potential that people still need to tap into on the PS3 before we even see half of what it can do, in the mean-time, Motorstorm will keep me going.

Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)
Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Resistance is Futile?, 5 April 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having bought this game when I got my PS3 at launch I was initially blow away by the step up in the graphics that the PS3 can produce. However, since playing through the single player game a little more I've discovered that while this FPS is good it's not that great. The thing is, it starts really slowly/easily and builds to some impressive set pieces mid-way through, but then it seems to run out of ideas and you get a "generic" (albeit beautiful) underground section. I'm now on the last level but have noticed that the last part of the game is, ironically, not as well produced as the rest!

Let me give you an example; you arrive in London, in what appears to be Leddenhall Market, in which there are some crudely textured red `phone boxes, and while an initial sweep of the cavernous market place looks impressive, the carts look badly done with no fruit (rotting or not) to be seen, just generic wooden crates, it feels very empty (not in an atmospheric "where's everyone gone" kind of way though). If you look up, you'll see a vast glass ceiling replete with massive end window for you to destroy at the end of this section. However, unlike with the rest of the glass in the game the roof cannot be destroyed and looks almost yellow and has a texture I'd expect on PS2! Although you can smash the end window to pieces it really smacks of bad coding that you can't destroy all the glass, especially given that this is a next gen title, and while you are in a large space the rest of the objects in that space are poorly done and so I couldn't fathom a reason why they'd need to restrict me in this way.

Having mentioned the glass, I should point out that when you do get a chance to shoot some it's a joy, it breaks in a unique way each time and is one of the best effects in the game!!!

I was initially impressed with the graphics as I stated and the outside locations really do feel like big expanses of land that are ready to explore, however, the interior sections are often run-of-the-mill, with a few excellent exceptions. However, there are often times, if you explore enough that you'll stumble upon a poorly textured item which slightly takes the sheen of this otherwise beautifully crafted game. A few more noticeable programming errors (for want of a better phrase) include; bullet holes appearing in snow as though you've shot an object, repeated rubbish strewn over the floor, and bullet damage appearing on some objects but not others.

One of the main criticisms I've read about this game is the lack of a sense of achievement and while I felt this to be true, I wanted to keep playing. As straightforward as the story is, it's told in such as way that you end up wanting to find out the protagonist's fate.

The guns are also worthy of a mention here, with some excellent twists on standard FPS fare - slow-mo sniper rifle and the awesome "air-break" rocket launcher are two fine examples of weapons that are fun. The step up from the weapons, are obviously the vehicles you get to pilot, these include a tank, stalker and jeep, all of which feel slightly "wrong" in the handling department, but this is a shooter so I won't criticise. My main gripe with the vehicle sections are that they are over too quickly and are often devoid of things to shoot; take the tank section, you are driving through street with buildings either side but there seems to be little in your path, save the odd enemy and shooting the scenery results in minimal damage to building façades, with only the windows breaking.

I'm sounding quite negative now so the good points.... The Chimera you battle are impressively detailed and react well to various types of body shot, (although once dead they do not appear damaged) as well as having good AI - they flank, sneak and swarm you quite well. The story is compelling if a little obvious. The levels themselves are excellent when they work and some of the set pieces certainly take you by surprise, often coming when you start to tire of playing, resulting in that "just one more level" attitude to come in to play and keep you going.

I think that to sum up, if you want a good FPS for your PS3 get this, the inventive weapons and brilliant set pieces (even though they are sometimes few and far between) make it different enough and impressive enough to justify the price, just don't expect perfection.

Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble (PSP)
Viewtiful Joe: Red Hot Rumble (PSP)
Offered by 1stvideo

4.0 out of 5 stars Hot Enough?, 2 Jun 2006
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having brought this game as a bit of an impulse but I was surprisingly impressed with it. I've never played a Viewtiful Joe (VJ) game before but was instantly struck by how nice everything looked on the PSP's screen, the characters are well animated and the scenery looks stylish and "3D" when the camera swoops in at the start of a match.

It plays well too with the numerous characters providing enough variety to keep you going for a while, although their attacks are rather limited - you don't tend to notice though as the battles are short and sweet, that said though, there almost certainly will be a time you're playing when you get hit by a special move/VFX power and your character will fly off somewhere and you won't know where you are! I've actually had times when I thought I was another character or simply couldn't see my character after an attack just because of the amount of action packed into the PSP's screen!

The amount going on at any one time on screen is something of an achievement (in so much as there's an impressive amount going on for a portable system) and a let-down in the fact that it becomes confusing too often and you end up getting "lost" in the action, maybe only briefly, but it's enough to make VJ harder and more frustrating than it needed to be.

The game play is broken down into simple out and out scraps between characters with the winner being the last one standing and various objectives - ranging from turtle riding to destroying a space station! - but the problem is that despite you having to win at these objectives in certain circumstances at the end of a level it simply boils down to how many coins you've collected whilst playing which can be infuriating when you've beaten everyone convincingly only to have your energy run out (thus losing a large amount of coins in the process) only to re-spawn without enough time to get them back! I guess it means it's more of a challenge but it hardly seems fair!

You can also play this game wirelessly with friends and it also supports game-sharing which automatically "earns" it another star in my opinion, as not enough games use this feature!

I can recommend Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble even if you're not a fan of the series just because it's a fun, pick-up and play game that doesn't take itself at all seriously. That said, keep in mind that you will often feel cheated by this game when it snatches victory from you.

Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick Freeview receiver, black
Freecom Digital TV DVB-T USB Stick Freeview receiver, black

3.0 out of 5 stars Luke-warm Reception, 1 Jun 2006
Well I cheated a little bit - my friend had one of these so I knew that it was only ever going to work if I hooked it up to the roof aerial.

That said I wasn't expecting the aerial supplied with it to be just a redundant piece of plastic however, that's exactly what it turned out to be - even after scanning the channels with it hooked up to the roof aerial and switching to the mini one that comes with it I still got the message "no signal" which is a shame because it would have been excellent to be able to sit out in the garden with my laptop and not be restricted in the same way that you are with a "normal" TV.

I think everyone here has identified that the aerial that comes with it is a waste of plastic so I won't dwell on it any longer.

The initial set up for this was relatively painless, although annoyingly I had to install the drivers twice for some reason as although the setup guide shows you just putting the CD in and connecting the USB receiver after my computer detected the USB device it then didn't automatically open and run the install program for the software.

Minor hiccup aside everything else went smoothly and within minutes I was watching crystal-clear "Freeview".

Now I really can't fault this for doing exactly what it said it would - that's allow me to watch digital TV on my laptop - but there are some rather annoying points to take into account:

- The User Interface for this product looks dated and ugly all the features are there and it's quite well set out but someone really has awful taste!

- The order that the channel scan detects the channels is the order thy stay in. You can't easily drag and drop channels to change their order. Although you can customise a "favourite" list but even this has the same problem as you have to add the channels in order and if you add one by mistake then you can't easily drag it into place, you have to delete it and re-add it again.

Now the good stuff, recording and playback are perfect (although you can't playback the recorded footage in Windows Media Player for some reason). You can screen-grab any image you want, although these always size to something like 540 x 514 and don't keep the TV aspect ratio for some reason. The EPG and other features also work very well in their horrid user interface!

Unlike most people on here my remote worked pretty well - I couldn't use it from the other side of the room like with a regular TV remote but it's range was acceptable and considering my laptop doesn't have the largest screen in the world it's not like I'd be sitting that far away from it anyway.

I would love to give this a higher mark, after all it's inexpensive, quite stylish (hardware only, software still makes me cringe), and does the job of getting TV to my laptop very well but the little things let this down too much and that is a shame as with a tiny bit of effort this could be a great product!

Run It
Run It
Offered by rmdcoleford

4.0 out of 5 stars Run and get it!, 31 Jan 2006
This review is from: Run It (Audio CD)
Who is Chris Brown!? I'd never heard of him until a few months ago when I first heard this track and was blown away by it.
This isn't an "instant classic" but it has excellent production and a catchy hook that will have you bouncing along with the beat no matter how much you try and stop yourself.
A fun track, although a little limited and will probably be forgotten about in the long term. But definitely worth-while as a purchase and showcases just what Chris has the potential to do - recommended.

Nasty Girl (Feat. Diddy, Nelly, Jagged Edge And Avery Storm) [CD 1]
Nasty Girl (Feat. Diddy, Nelly, Jagged Edge And Avery Storm) [CD 1]
Offered by steelbreezeuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Bigger than Biggy, 31 Jan 2006
I admit that having loved Nasty Boy (Life after Death) I didn't really like what Diddy et al had done with this "remix" at first (is it truly a remix or a form of "answer back"?).
However, after the radio stations played it and i'd seen the video a couple of times on TV I started to warm to it.
Having said that I'm now completely hooked on this tune, you can really see why they had to call in so many people to help with the production/vocals etc as this track really seems to have it all - that said it also shows how much talent B.I.G. had when he can come up with a track like Nasty Boy pretty much single-handedly and it takes a small army of todays rap artists/producers to even match it.
I can highly recommend this if you even had a passing interest in Biggy as this is a fitting acknowledgement of his work.

Pursuit Force (PSP)
Pursuit Force (PSP)

4.0 out of 5 stars In Pursuit of Excellence...., 20 Jan 2006
This review is from: Pursuit Force (PSP) (Video Game)
Pursuit force was the main reason I brought a PSP, from reading the box and countless previews/reviews of it, this game has all the elements to be amazing - chasing down criminals whilst leaping from moving vehicles, performing Matrix-style slow-motion leaps and unloading 100's of bullets into enemies before taking over their car/boat/bike!
To be honest I wasn't expecting much and from the under whelming first mission you get to play, Pursuit Force didn't initially deliver. However, once past that simple escort mission you soon get the hang of jumping on cars, hanging off the side to avoid fire and building up your justice gauge.
The graphics are easily the best I've witnessed on PSP, with bullet holes appearing on the roof of the car as you shoot the enemies inside, glass shatters and everything looks super glossy and shiny (there are some excellent lighting effects) however, when things get crowded (often mid-mission at a very difficult point) there is some slow-down.
So how does it play? Very much as you'd expect, it's great, you get to do exactly what the box says however, this game is hard....no frustrating... no insanely-smash-your-psp-against-the-wall-in-a-fit-of-rage hard. You see there are times when Pursuit Force is the game you want to play and you'll genuinely love but then there are the times when Pursuit Force throws a mission at you that you'll end up doing about 40times or more before you pass it, it's these times and the lack of checkpoints that mean you can easily grow to loath Pursuit Force - it has one steep learning curve!
However, if you can get past that minor "fault" and you're looking for a game that pushes the PSP to the limits both graphically and in terms of game play (think you're up to the insane difficulty level?) then Pursuit Force is the game for you!

The Sims 2 (PSP)
The Sims 2 (PSP)
Offered by Game Trade Online

2.0 out of 5 stars I'll be brief..., 16 Jan 2006
This review is from: The Sims 2 (PSP) (Video Game)
Firstly, this is NOT the SIM's, at least not what you've come to expect a SIM's game to be. If like me you were looking to be able to build your own house and do all the things that you'd normally be able to then you're very much out of luck.
What this is, is simply a mystery game (almost like a point and click adventure on PC) where you go around various towns/locations talking to people and solving "puzzles" using a variety of "mini-games". The mini-games had the potential to be quite good but they're confusing and produce rather mixed results even when you appear to be following the same lines as previously. And worse still, take far too long to load.
After you start unravelling the mystery you begin unlocking things for your pre-made/brought house. Which is a nice addition and gives a sense of progress, but again isn't "the SIM's", it's an EA game - wow! you've entered your name, unlocked new plasma TV!!!
There are some elements of the SIM's left, you still have to keep an eye on your characters wants/needs and the graphics are very SIM-esque and to be honest are of a high standard for the PSP.
However, this isn't the PSP conversion that could have kept people hooked for days, there's too much loading and disc access for this to be an enjoyable experience and while the adventure/mystery element of the game would have been good even without the SIM elements the execution of it means you'll be frustrated way before you ever get into it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2014 12:29 AM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3