Profile for MikeD > Reviews

Portable Support Grip Grab Handle - Bath & Shower Disability Aid
Offered by KAIKSO-IN
Price: 4.60

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless and Dangerous, 26 Jun 2014
Initially, the support handle stuck like a limpet to our smooth shower tiles. However, after about 30 minutes, it fell down on the shower tray. No matter how I tried to attach the handle to the tiles it eventually dropped off the wall. Now, I may have purchased a faulty unit; however, that is still inexcusable as it indicates that the manufacturer employs very poor quality control.

As a supposed safety device, the support handle cannot be relied on. It is useless and, indeed, dangerous. Avoid to be safe!

I am really surprised that Amazon sell such a product.

Vitrex 10 2120 Soft Grip Tile File
Vitrex 10 2120 Soft Grip Tile File
Price: 6.96

1.0 out of 5 stars Misled by the Stated Dimensions of the Tile File, 6 July 2013
I already have a small tile file; however, I needed a large one to file down the long edges on 500 x 250 mm tiles. As Amazon states that the dimensions of the Vitrex 102120 Soft Grip Tile File are: 340 x 28 mm, I thought that it would be ideal for my needs. Alas, I was most disappointed on its arrival as the dimensions of the file are only: 150 x 15 mm. As a small file it does its job OK, however, I can get this size of tile file anywhere (B&Q, Screwfix etc) at lower cost.

Clearly, I was misled!

It would appear that Amazon are now making so much money that they no longer worry about minimising their postage costs. Instead of using something like a jiffy bag, Amazon sent the small 150 mm long file in a relatively large cardboard box measuring 400 x 300 x 110 mm. What a waste!

Verbatim 43676 16x Livescribe DVD+R - Spindle 25 Pack
Verbatim 43676 16x Livescribe DVD+R - Spindle 25 Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent LightScribe DVDs, 24 Jun 2013
Having always bought Verbatim LightScribe DVDs, I have never been let down once. Perfect results every time: their quality can always be relied upon. Highly recommended!

Note to Amazon: These are LightScribe DVDs not Livescribe DVDs!

Select Safe-T-Shapes Bathtub Decals, Blue Star
Select Safe-T-Shapes Bathtub Decals, Blue Star
Offered by Compac Industries
Price: 4.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Peeled Off after Two Days, 15 May 2013
The decals look nice and should provide a good anti-slip surface; however, they are in fact absolute rubbish. Following the installation instructions, I spent quite aaa bit of time thoroughly cleaning our ceramic shower tray. Also, I spent just as much time carefully positioning the decals into position. It was all a waste of time!. After two days the decals started to peel off.

Absolutely useless! Stay clear off this product until the manufacturer uses a better adhesive

Bosch Washing Machine Heater 265961
Bosch Washing Machine Heater 265961
Offered by Spares4Appliances
Price: 8.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Quality Product at a Very Good Price, 15 May 2013
When our 12-year-old Bosch WFO2465GB washing machine blew a fuse whenever it started to heat the water, I realised that a new heating element was required. I first went on the Bosch website; however, the cost of a genuine Bosch 265961 heating element is 51 + postage. Not prepared to pay that price, I opted to buy the Amyazon equivalent part for 10.88 including postage.

Initially, I was concerned about buying a non-genuine part; however, I need not have worried. The element supplied is a very high quality part made in Italy. Indeed, It looked identical to the original element it replaced. Fitting the new element was relatively easy; although the YouTube video 'How to replace a washing machine element in Bosch washer' helped a great deal. One point, though, that is not emphasised in the video, make sure that you slide the new element so that the end goes into the holder. This will ensure that it is held nice and steady.

Overall, an excellent buy.

ClimaxDigital VCAP303 USB 2.0 Video capture with Audio + DVD/VCD Maker from video source: VHS, V8, Hi8 for laptop/PC,video recorder, camcorder, DVD player or Satellite TV receiver,supports *XP/Vista 32/Vista 64/Window 7/8 32&64*)+Support Xbox 360/PS3 colour recording+upload video directly to YouTube + ArcSoft ShowBiz 3.5+*FREE AV cable & SCART Adaptor*
Offered by ClimaxDigital UK (VAT NO: GB948688449)
Price: 25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Video Capturing Device, 10 Feb 2013
Having decided to get rid of our many VHS tapes, I decided to buy this device to capture the video data from our VCR. The only problem I had was installing the supplied Arcsoft ShowBiz software: the supplied intallation code was printed using a dot matrix printer and the letter 'u' was printed like a 'v.' After realising this, I followed the supplied instructions to install the driver and set up the device to work on a Windows 7 64-bit computer without any problems. I was very happy with the resulting digitised data. The quality is excellent.

Whilst the supplied Arcsoft Showbiz software adequately deals with the video capturing process, I could not discover how to use it to burn a DVD. The supplied instructions do not cover DVD burning, and there is no manual available on the internet about this software.

Normally, I use Nero to burn a DVD; however, my version does not handle the MPEG file (*.mpg), produced by the VCAP 303 device. Fortunately, I was able to use the Windows DVD Maker program, supplied with Windows 7. Able to handle MPEG files, this program is very easy to use, and allows DVDs to be produced with a menu and accompanying music,

Overall, I am very happy with the VCAP 303 device.

A4 Tracing Paper Pad with 50 Sheets
A4 Tracing Paper Pad with 50 Sheets
Offered by Layton's bits and bobs
Price: 2.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this Seller, 28 Jan 2013
Normally, I buy tracing paper from WH Smith; however, on this occasion I was ordering other items from Amazon, and decided to buy two of theses 50 sheet tracing paper pads from the Market Place supplier: Bargain Warehouse.

Unfortunately, Bargain Warehouse supplied different tracing paper pads from those that I had ordered. Calling it tracing paper, though, is most misleading. It was extremely thin - more like tissue paper.

Using a micrometer, I measured the thickness of the supplied tracing paper to be 0.01 mm, whereas the thickness of the tracing paper I normally use is 0.05 mm. Strangely, even though the supplied paper was very thin, it was less transparent than the thicker paper. Quite useless!

On returning the goods I eventually got a refund after waiting five weeks, and after having to send an e-mail querying the delay. However, Bargain Warehouse refused to pay my return postage, even though they their terms and conditions state that they do pay it when the return is a result of their error. Alas, they have just ignored my many e-mails on the issue. Acting like Pontius Pilate, Amazon state that they cannot intervene in any issue between buyer and seller

OK, the return postage was not that expensive; however, it is a matter of principle. I just do not like the idea of Bargain Warehouse reneging on their promise to customers. Avoid Bargain Warehouse!

Hard Times [1977] [DVD]
Hard Times [1977] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Allen
Offered by loftmedia
Price: 11.90

2.0 out of 5 stars Charles Dickens' Hard Times - 1977 DVD, 5 Mar 2012
This review is from: Hard Times [1977] [DVD] (DVD)
Compared with recent period TV dramas, this 1977 TV production seems to be studio bound, probably because of cost grounds. Also, some important parts of Dickens' story are omitted.

For example, the odious character Josiah Bounderby is always claiming to be a self-made man who was abandoned by his mother. In the book, Bounderby's mother turns up to tell the true story. In this TV production the mother character does not appear; hence, Bouderby's humiliation and subsequent downfall are not shown to satisfy the viewer.

Good acting though; however, overall, somewhat disappointing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 1:47 PM BST

Sophie Conran Rivelin by Arthur Price Pastry Forks (Set of 6)
Sophie Conran Rivelin by Arthur Price Pastry Forks (Set of 6)
Offered by Harts Of Stur
Price: 19.21

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality Cake Forks, 5 Mar 2012
These Cake Forks are made from finest grade of stainless steel. Dishwasher safe, the forks are guaranteed for 50 years by the manufacturer Arthur Price. Amazon's price for the forks is very good, being 3 cheaper than John Lewis. Highly recommended.

First popular pieces for the flute
First popular pieces for the flute
by #value!
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A selection of popular music for flutist beginner, 20 Jan 2012
I bought this excellent book for my granddaughter who has been playing the flute for only four months. Surprisingly, she was able to cope with the pieces in this book reasonably well. She really likes the book because of its selection of popular music. It includes pieces made famous by the Beatles, Rod Stewart and Elvis Presley.

Naturally, she is unable to sing while playing her flute. Nevertheless, she did say that it would have been nice if the book had included the lyrics so she could sing along in her mind.

Page: 1 | 2