Profile for P. I. Choppen > Reviews

Content by P. I. Choppen

P. I. Choppen

The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge (Penguin Social Sciences)
by Thomas Luckmann

1.0 out of 5 stars Self-absorbed claptrap, 10 Sept. 2011
I bought this book on the basis of the reviews and the pithy title. I will also admit that the cartoon cover display, which hinted at a light-touch treatment to the subject, was also persuasive. My disappointment was complete long before the pages of the preface had been read. I kept thinking that the author must make a statement or adopt a particular stance at some point. Instead the book comes across as an exercise in self-massage of the intellect, endlessly looking for the longest words in the dictionary to hide behind, and for good measure throwing in annoying Latin and German quotes to proclaim, "look at me, and how clever I am". As for the study of reality goes, this book has challenged my understanding of what constitutes valid English language!

For anyone who, like me, was looking for some worthy insight into the theory of reality, to augment existing study, give this book a wide berth, as you too will be frustrated and angry at the tortuous ramblings contained within. However, if you enjoy a challenge and know lots of long words, this may be just the book you have been waiting for. Good luck, you have been warned. I would like my money back please.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 5, 2013 10:24 AM BST

Sonnet Technology FireWire 400 to 800  Connector Adapter
Sonnet Technology FireWire 400 to 800 Connector Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little gadget, 13 Feb. 2009
Sonnet Technology FireWire 800 to 400 Adapter

What a wonderful little gadget! I upgraded from my Powerbook to a MacBook Pro and needed the old 400 Firewire access for my Ist Gen iPod (yes, honestly). I pondered buying yet another cable (how many different ones do you have), when I came across this little beauty. Simple, easily storable, and does exactly what I want. A wonderful product.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality and frustration in equal measure, 13 Feb. 2009
Samsung NV100HD Digital Camera - Silver ((14.7MP, 3.6x Optical Zoom) 3.0'' LCD
I felt so smug, having bought a high resolution camera, loaded with features. Don't get me wrong, it delivers pin-sharp pictures ...... but, why, oh why did they put all the features - in the wrong place. Anyone buying this item will soon get frustrated with their fingers inadvertently touching the screen just as they are about to take a snap. Then they will discover, it is almost impossible to take a snap with the flash, as your left hand grips the camera .... right on top of the flash cover! Another issue is the video. Again, it creates superb video on the laptop and delivers what it says on the tin. However, at the highest setting, do not try and zoom in and out whilst recording. The sound freezes and the lens takes several seconds to re-focus, spoiling the entire shot.

So, in summary, a very good camera, but flawed. Next time I will follow my wife's choice and get a Sony Cybershot.