ARRAY(0xb5943660)

Precious and Fragile Things
by Megan Hart
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that has inspired me..., 20 July 2013
I read this book not knowing from the description if I would like it or not. Well, it turns out I did like it a lot. The best parts for me where Gilly's constant psychological battle with herself - she loved her kids but was also at the edge of what she could manage and wasn't enjoying motherhood. I'm a mum of two young children and so I could empathise with her perspective, and I think it was refreshing to read this rather than the usual 'being a mum is just amazing' descriptions. It he description of constantly having a list of jobs to do that only matters to you but you still have to do them. Particularly felt was accurate for me and my former mum friends.

I liked the whole story and I read it in two days - I liked how Todd was not described in a way that jus made me hate him, but instead he was made to seem human and someone who just couldn't manage to get anything quite right. However, the reason I didn't award five stars is that he seemed a little too changeable - from little boy hurt to angry man, from dumb to smart...it was just a little too unbelievable - I felt that he didn't really have a definable personality like Gilly did.

As mentioned in my headline, this book has inspired me to try not to worry about the little things...it's just made me realise that that load of washing is not as important as enjoying my babies while I can. Probably not the intended outcome of the novel but never mind :)

Bundle Buy - Letraset Promarker 12 Pen Set One & Promarker 12 Pen Set Two - Plus 1 Blender Pen in Each Set (Total 26 Pens)
Offered by Areema Online
Price: 33.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Love them, 6 Feb 2013
Great for card-making, good fast service from seller. Really pleased with the effects and how they look, great for blending colours and a 'soft' watercolour type effect.

Revenge of the Tide
Revenge of the Tide
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth a read.., 27 Oct 2012
Okay, first of all, i bought this book because i loved 'Into the Darkest Corner' the authors first novel. That was a unique book that has become one of my favourite reads.
Revenge of the Tide was an enjoyable read - i think that Haynes has a talent for creating a good, strong main character, and i liked how the story developed. Genevieve is a woman who has escaped from her past and is living the life she had always hoped to live. However, her past is not resolved and so this is not all that simple.
I read this book in two days, and thought the suspense and drama were great. I loved the 'barge' descriptions, and the barge life - i loved the sense of community that was described too. I also liked the idea of a female who has so many aspects to her personality, and talents. She had a sales job, pole danced (very well), but was also able to do DIY and renovate a barge almost single handedly. I enjoyed this, and thought that Genevieve was a good role model / central character, and i liked and related to her.
However, although i enoyed it there were small niggles, which is why i haven't given this book 5 stars. I think these niggles are mainly because of how much i enjoyed her previous novel, so my expectations were higher.
I think the plot was not quite so strong, or believable as her previous novel. I do not think that a good reason was ever given for the reason that the people from her past came back into her present (i'm trying not to give too much away!) and also, some of the more minor characters were not given much of an identity. For example, Malcolm was characterised, but not as strongly as the main character, and i could never really get a sense of who he was.
My other main niggle was the ending. I'm not going to say too much about it, other than that i thought that it seemed more designed to tie up loose ends than to end the story.
However, i would read this (and other) books by Haynes again. I will recommend to others, and would recommend this as a good read.

The Girl You Left Behind
The Girl You Left Behind
Price: 3.66

5.0 out of 5 stars Read in one sitting., 11 Oct 2012
I have read two books by Moynes previously, and i loved both of them. I bought this one really looking forward to another great story, and definately was not disappointed.
The characters were so believable i thought; Sophie was portrayed so cleverly, and from the first page there was drama, there were twists and there was humour. This novel has a mixture of all of those things all the way through.
The scene about half way through with Lilliane, when she was arrested by the Germans was so vivid, and so realistic that i went to sleep afterwards still thinking about this scene - it really brought the realities of living through war in a town controlled by Germans to life.
Moynes is defintely now one of my favourite authors - i have loved all of her work, and look forward to her next novels in the future. I would definately recommend this novel to others.

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable story, 12 Sep 2012
I bought this book based on the positive reviews, but to be honest i wasn't sure what to expect; It could easily have become a cliche, but luckily for me i really enjoyed it, and was very glad to have bought it.
The story focuses on two periods in time, and on two women, Jenny and Ellie, who through a series of coincidences come together - Ellie, whose life is not as she had expected it to be, finds a letter which was published in a paper, which leads her to try to find the writer, and to find out what happened to the author of the letter. Through this, we hear the story of Jenny and Boot.
For me, the story of Jenny and Boot was lovely; Maybe because it was set in an era when everything was so different, but i really related to Jenny and enjoyed travelling her journey with her. Her own confusion and memory loss meant that the reader is given titbits of information, not piecing the full story together until near the end. I thought that this worked really well.
Elli's story, as other reviewers have also commented, was not quite as gripping although i did still enjoy it. Elie's situation is one which many people struggle to relate to anyway, and Ellie as a character seemed at times quite immature and self-centred. This did appear to change towards the end. She was however well written as a character, and i did enjoy reading about her situation which is the sign of a good author!
I did not like the 'break-ups' which started each chapter - they really irritated me and didn't make much sense in relation to the plot.
I would read again and look following this will look for other books by this author as she has shown that she has talent. Reading her biography, i think this must come from having been a journalist previously, and this knowledge helped when describing how both Ellie and Boot functioned within their day to day lives as reporters.

Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Numatic HVR200A Henry A1 Bagged Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner plus Kit A1, Red/Black
Price: 94.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with my purchase of Henry., 6 Sep 2012
I love Henry Hoovers - they are practical, simple, long lasting and powerful, everything needed from a hoover. I also love the fact that he has a face - my 2 year old loves our new Henry and says that he likes being a hoover, so he must be doing something right :)
I am so glad i bought one, and it does the job it is designed to do perfectly.

The Light Behind The Window
The Light Behind The Window
Price: 3.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good read :), 6 Sep 2012
I bought this book because i had previously read 'Hothouse Flower' and enjoyed it.
The story is set in two periods of time - one in wartime France, and one in the modern day. I like books set over two time frames anyway, and i really enjoyed this story. I feel that the author has really developed her style of writing, and the characters were very well written and the story was well written.
I enjoyed the section about the wartime the most; I think that the reason for this is that it is a new perspective about the war; It was set in France, and from the perspective of Constance rather than a soldier or anyone directly involved in the fighting. Constance was involved in a more subtle way, which enabled her to see the way in which the war affected all different types of people.
One of the other things i liked the most about this book (while trying not to give too much away) was the fact that germans were also shown to be individuals rather than a 'mass' - one German for example was shown to not be a believer in the Nazi ideals, and this is something whihc is not often covered.
I found the modern section well written, and contrasted well with the other sections, while linking in at the end to all provide an ending to the story.
Overall i would read this again and would recommend this story, as it was a really good read.

Vigilante (Jessica Daniel Book 2)
Vigilante (Jessica Daniel Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but slow to start and it never really gripped me, 8 Aug 2012
I bought this book based on the bargain price, and the fact that i have previously read 'Locked In' and really enjoyed it.
The storyline wasn't bad, but if i'm honest i don't think i ever related to Jessica in this book - she came across as quite self-centered and not a team player at all. I didn't think the book was well written either which may have added to my feeling that something was missing. I also found that there were so many names that i started to struggle to remember who everyone was.
However, i will say that this book did get much better about 3/4 of the way in - the pace seemed to increase, and i did feel that that part of the book, and the ending, was quite well thought out and unexpected.
I think that for the price, the book was a good read - something that was quite light, not particularly memorable but kept me reading until the end. If you have read and do like it, go and read 'Locked In' by the same author.

The Wicked Girls
The Wicked Girls
Price: 1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Made me feel uncomfortable..very close to the truth at times.., 1 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Wicked Girls (Kindle Edition)
I have struggled to rate this book to be honest. I have just finished it, and although in many ways i liked it, i also feel quite disturbed at the emotions i have felt while i have read this book.
I feel that the plot is a powerful one - the subject of a child being murdered in any circumstance is emotive at the best of times, and i think that it is in parts very accurately described - particularly the descriptions of the media creating their own scenarios, which may not necessarilry be based on fact.
There are a lot of themes contained within the book; Child murder, neglect and abuse being the primary themes. Then there was class, relationships, friendships, the media and societal values.
For me, what was interesting was the fact that Jade moved up in class through the experience, while Annabel moved down, and as an upper class child was considered more intelligent and evil than Jade. I also found the parts about the media very interesting - very accurate, and very scary in the way lives can so easily destroyed.
I never really understood the character of Martin, and am not entirely sure that he added much to the novel.
Overall - i don't think i would read this book again as it made me feel very uncomfortable, but on the other hand, i know that i will be thinking about it for days and that is a book that will stay with me.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 6, 2012 7:33 PM BST

Double Deal
Double Deal
by Jenny Pitman

3.0 out of 5 stars Good light read, 28 July 2012
This review is from: Double Deal (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book - i have not read the first one, and may or may not read the others, but i found that even as a book on it's own it was enjoyable. Very similar to the 'Dick Francis' books, focusing on horses and horse riding.
What i liked best about the book was the way the hrses were characterised - i have read that the author worked with horses, and this is clear from the descriptions, and i felt that this is where the book excelled. Each horse had it's own character and personality, and the day to day running of a stables was brilliantly described and broght to life for me.
I am not sure that i would read this book again, but i think that i would read the other books by this author.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4