Profile for Michael Ranes > Reviews

Content by Michael Ranes

Michael Ranes (Hong Kong)

Gotham - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
Gotham - Season 1 [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Ben McKenzie

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh wow, 23 Jan. 2016
Excellent series. Gripped me from the start. Does not follow the 'traditional' origins of Batman route....and thank holla it doesn't.

Oh yes...and I am also in love with Fish Moon.....

THAMES VALLEY TALES
THAMES VALLEY TALES

5.0 out of 5 stars Eclectic collection, 15 Sept. 2015
Great collection of stories. Intriguing and witty. Popeye shouldn't read this...but everyone else should.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and straightforwardly lovely...., 8 May 2015
Wow...I loved this book! Beautiful writing. This is an uplifting story which engaged my head and my heart right the way through. Watch out for page 288. I cried on page 288, which is the first time I have done that reading a book since I was a young lad, misunderstood a sentence and thought Rupert the Bear had died....

The pilgrimage is a normal man doing something extraordinary and touching hearts as he goes. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants an emotional lift or wants to be touched by the power of human love which shines constantly bright throughout this book.

Rachel Joyce....thank you.

Cold Comfort Farm (Penguin Classics)
Cold Comfort Farm (Penguin Classics)
by Stella Gibbons

5.0 out of 5 stars The funniest book I can remember reading for a long time...., 6 Jun. 2014
I decided to buy this book after hearing a Radio 4 review and recommendation. Wow...am I glad I did!

Stella Gibbons knows how to carry humor through an entire novel. The continuing themes - I was hanging on to know what was seen in the wood shed so long ago - are superbly executed. Written in a different era, but still very relevant and funny today, this is a book I would recommend if you are looking for gentle humor wrapped up in poetic prose and some cutting social commentary.

Moving On - From Short Story To Novel (Secrets to Success Writing Series Book 9)

5.0 out of 5 stars This book contains clear, concise advice for budding authors, 6 Jun. 2014
I have read many 'advice on writing books' - some good, some poor - but this is one of the few that stands out as a winner. Della Galton lays out the differences between delivering good short fiction and a good novel and does it in a non-patronizing, humorous way. Her chapter on 'Titles' is a great example: who would have known the difference between effective short story and novel titles? Her analysis is intriguing,

I have already begun applying her insights as I make this difficult step in my own writing, and I am finding most of her suggestions to be helpful.

For a budding author like myself, this is a fantastic book. I highly recommend.

Wycliffe And The Redhead (Wycliffe Mysteries)
Wycliffe And The Redhead (Wycliffe Mysteries)
by W.J. Burley
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Wycliffe, 29 Dec. 2010
If you love Wycliffe already or even if you just like British detective novels, then this is a book for you. Well crafted plot, leanly written, always compelling. I am a fan of this W.J Burley series and this book never let me down. Very worthwhile buy.

Swan DO1 Teasmade Ceramic Teapot Alarm Clock 4 Cup Capacity
Swan DO1 Teasmade Ceramic Teapot Alarm Clock 4 Cup Capacity

1.0 out of 5 stars Ouch..., 28 Feb. 2009
If you want a machine that works very well for the first 8 days then buy this. If you want one to last into next month, don't bother. A very very disappointing product.

The Thirty Nine Steps (Classic Drama)
The Thirty Nine Steps (Classic Drama)

4.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worthwhile, 28 Feb. 2009
From beginning to end, a great drama. Even if you already know the plot of this famous story, you will still enjoy. The action is skilfully laid out with the excellent acting expected from the BBC.

A worthwhile buy.