ARRAY(0xaa93057c)

Profile for E. Ives > Reviews

Content by E. Ives

E. Ives "e-clectica" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
He Never Let Go
He Never Let Go
Price: 1.98

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're suffering a crisis of faith, or know someone who is, read this book!, 5 April 2012
This review is from: He Never Let Go (Kindle Edition)
This is a courageous telling of one woman's loss of faith - particularly courageous because she was an evangelist. (The first chapter had me with my heart in my mouth - what a ghastly position to be in!) But it's an autobiography that I think any Christian could identify with, and some really good lessons that many of us need to learn, if we haven't already. Grace versus works. Church versus God. Have we built our house on a foundation of sand or rock? Will our faith stand in a time of crisis? Do we believe things that actually the Bible doesn't say? Do we have to be 'really good and pure' before God will grant us the desires of our heart? And if God doesn't grant those desires, why might that be and what can we do about it? How much is our faith a 'slot machine' - "if I read my Bible every day and pray, and do lots of churchy things and good works, then and only then will God love me and grant the desires of my heart"?

This book got me thinking about aspects of my own beliefs that I've never questioned - and in my mind that has to be a good thing. Buy it, enjoy it and be challenged!

Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Aerobie AeroPress Coffee Maker
Price: 23.79

4.0 out of 5 stars One gadget I've not regretted buying, 4 Jun 2011
What it does well:
- It's really quick and easy to make a cup of fresh coffee.
- Dispose grounds quickly in bin, not down sink (which can block it)
- Coffee just somehow tastes better than using cafetiere

What it doesn't do so well:
- Found making coffee for several people a bit of a faff. You have to make a concentrate using the Aerolatte in a jug, then dilute it down with boiling water.
- Agree with comments re espresso, it really doesn't make crema, although I'll admit I haven't gone to the forums.

We got it specifically for going on camping holidays, or for use at work. But actually, I end up using it every day at home. I'd recommend it. Friends that have used it at our place often end up buying one themselves.

The Third Tribe
The Third Tribe
by Rob Chidley

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally absorbing!, 16 May 2009
This review is from: The Third Tribe (Paperback)
The last non-fiction book that I read was The Shack - you know, the book that everyone's raving about.... Well personally I feel that The Third Tribe beat it hands down. It's very well written, extraordinarily atmospheric, and I'd agree with GP Taylor that it does indeed keep you on the edge of your seat, I've been reading it every night until the early hours! Now I've reached the end, I feel like I've just said goodbye to someone I've become great friends with and don't know when I'll see them again. Do hope that there is a sequel before too long!

Cool Camping: England
Cool Camping: England
by Jonathan Knight
Price: 13.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality not quantity, 25 Dec 2006
This review is from: Cool Camping: England (Paperback)
I always loathed camping as a child. As a 40-something adult, financial circumstances have forced me to overcome my dislike. Thankfully, the clothing and kit available these days make it much more bearable (by the way, check out the novel but useful gear on [...])

A trawl on Amazon led me to Cool Camping and, based on the other reviews, I got a copy.

It has definitely lived up to expectations. OK, maybe there are only 40 campsites featured and they are clustered in the furthest places in England. But I haven't so far found one that looked like a duff inclusion. Each site is described very well in lots of photos and words to get across the special features and character of each one, and there's a summary for each including upsides and downsides, costs, nearest decent pub, things to do on a rainy day, and alternative sites if it's full. There's also a 'directory' of sites with headings such as 'Surf's Up', 'Stunning Views', 'Good for first timers', 'Something Different'. And it will take me quite a while to get round 40 good sites, so I really don't care that the book doesn't contain hundreds. It would only make choosing more difficult still!

So I'm very happy with my book and the minute there's a version out for Scotland or Wales, it will be on my Wish List...
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 21, 2010 11:26 PM GMT

Mull and Iona
Mull and Iona
by Allan Wright
Price: 8.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Best photos of Mull, 30 Sep 2006
This review is from: Mull and Iona (Paperback)
I wanted to get something to remind me of my wonderful visit to Mull this autumn, and this was the best book of photographs that I came across. They really capture the essence of both Iona and Mull, there are just simple captions, and if you want a book that really takes you back there, I'd recommend this one.

Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast (Cadogan Guides)
Bay of Naples and the Amalfi Coast (Cadogan Guides)
by Dana Facaros

5.0 out of 5 stars The key to a great stay, 10 Jan 2006
To my mind, a good travel guide should not just provide practical information on where to stay, eat and visit: It should also entertain in the weeks leading up to your departure, and give you a good flavour of the place you are going to visit. This guide does this admirably for the Bay of Naples.
My husband and I went to Italy in 1996 armed only with this book, and had a whale of a time! We felt that it was a pretty good guide, and also hilarious; take what the authors say about The Napoletani: "(they) do not stand in lines, or fill out forms, or stop for traffic signals; they will talk your ears off, run you over in their ancient Fiats, criticize the way you dress, whisper alarming propositions, give you sweets, try to pick your pockets with engaging artlessness, offer surprising kindnesses, and with a reassuring smile they will always, always give you the wrong directions. In an official capacity, they will either break the rules for you or invent new ones; in shops and restaurants, they will either charge you too much or too little. The former is much more common, though, whichever it is, they will do it with a flourish". How true - this certainly summed up our experience! But having been forewarned about it, when it happened it gave us a good laugh, rather than leaving us irritated. And the authors were right about the driving too - I thought that they were being a little over dramatic when they said that drivers slow down at junctions when the traffic lights are on green, because the cars on red will invariably jump the lights. But it IS true, as we discovered on a memorable 70mph taxi ride through the centre of Naples one night!
On the basis of this book, we discovered places off the beaten track: The beauty and peace of Ravello, high above the coast; the bizarre and charming little island of Procida (which was one of the highlights - only 4 miles across and with streets so small that the buses were converted Cinquecentos that held about 10 passengers maximum, standing upright), and the wonderful temples of Paestum, to us more impressive even than the Acropolis at Athens because of their quiet location.
So, if you want to get more out of Naples and environs than just Pompeii, Herculaneum, Sorrento, Positano and Amalfi, and if you want a guide book that paints a real picture of what the place is like - I'd say that this is a good book to go for.

Weekend, Le
Weekend, Le
by Arthur Eperon

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb, if a little out of date, 10 Jan 2006
This review is from: Weekend, Le (Paperback)
I bought a copy of this book on recommendation when it came out, and it has been my bible for short breaks to France, whether for a day or a weekend, for the last 17 years. Without this book, I would never have discovered the wonderful Phillippe Olivier cheese shop in Bolougne, the unbelievably tall and thin multicoloured houses of old Honfleur that teeter above the tiny harbour, the lovely hill fort town of Montreuil, the delights of bouillabaise at Perard's in Le Touquet... It has given me some magical memories.
It is the fact that this book IS now 18 years old that caused me to give it 4 stars and not the full 5. It is worth reading anyway, not just for its history of places but for the wonderful little anecdotes from M Eperon who has a charming style of writing.
If an updated version of this wonderful book came out, I would buy copies as gifts for anyone I know within shouting distance of Dover! Meantime, I'm not going to sell my ancient copy to anyone, for love or money!

Sabbath Rest: Restoring the Sacred Rhythm of Rest
Sabbath Rest: Restoring the Sacred Rhythm of Rest
by Wayne Muller

5.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual Rest for the Weary, 3 Jan 2006
This book is a delightful little gem!
The author is Christian, but draws on spiritual practices from many traditions. It re-teaches us how to use the concept of a Sabbath day as a time for reflection and renewal, and provides lots of real life stories and observations without being at all dry. The chapters are short and well laid out, and at the end of each one, there is a practical exercise to try for yourself.
I read it pretty much in one sitting, it's that readable - but it's the sort of book that you could better benefit from by reading one chapter a week and putting it into practice before moving on and trying more. And they are ideas worth putting into practice - well, they have worked for me!

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
by Mark Haddon

5.0 out of 5 stars Singing to a different tune, 26 July 2004
I have just been working on a project with people with learning disabilities, and it was the first time I had contact with someone with Asberger's Syndrome. Having read this book, I feel that I now understand a lot better how this young lady views the world and communicates. I find also that, having read this book, my own view of the world has been slightly changed.
I enjoyed the interaction - or lack of it - between the characters, and observing that whilst my sympathies swang from one to another, based on the objective and unemotional observations of Christopher, his sympathies were not based on right or wrongs that those characters had done, but on whether he was afraid of them or not.
Personally, I found that I couldn't put it down and had read it within 24 hours - very unusual for me!

Ordering Your Private World
Ordering Your Private World
by Gordon Macdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb book for busy Christians!, 25 July 2004
Like many Christians I know, I seem to always be rushed off my feet. I take on too much, and hate to let people down or say 'no'. And then I realise, usually too late, that I have taken on too much. Ultimately, and ironically, it's my relationship with God that suffers and gets pushed to one side.
This book doesn't lecture or posture. Gordon Macdonald is sympathetic to those of us that end up in this mess, he freely admits to having been there himself. His writing is very perceptive - time and again I found myself nodding in agreement and smiling at behaviour that I recognise in myself.
This book is Scripture based and really PRACTICAL. It shows you HOW to get the balance right. It looks at how Jesus Himself spent His time. It helps you to look at your own life, one aspect at a time, recognise the weak areas and helps you to make practical changes for the better. Having read the book once, I am now working through each chapter a week at a time and doing the study. This gives me a chance to put one change into practice before trying to take on another one.
I wouldn't be overstating things to say that this book has revolutionised my practical life and my faith life. Rather than squeeze God in last, I am learning to put Him first, to develop my relationship with Him, and to draw off His strength for everything else I have to do. And I am learning to assess my time before I take on new projects and say 'NO!' when necessary!
If you are a busy Christian who is feeling frazzled and living on an empty tank - I would warmly recommend this book.

Page: 1 | 2