Profile for P. Griffiths > Reviews

Content by P. Griffiths

P. Griffiths (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
1x LEDVero® LED Security Floodlight with PYR Sensor 50W Outdoor - silver - cold white

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality light, 6 Dec. 2015
Very poor quality light. Flex entry is on the top of the light which although may satisfy regs does not seem a good plan to me.
Flex is very short, 230mm, so pretty much useless. Took cover off to see if I could add longer flex and connections are crimped. Sort of expected that but one wire was so badly crimped that I gently pulled it out.

So I will not be installing this lamp and will be junking it.

CVLIFE 1800Lm Zoomable CREE T6 LED Lamp Light Flashlight Torch Free 18650 & 2 Chargers
Offered by cvlife-uk

2.0 out of 5 stars Good torch - no UK wall charger, 4 Dec. 2014
Torch is seems good - nice and bright. Beware though as mine was supplied with Type I (China) wall charger and no adapter. Amazon could only offer return and refund so I will need to buy adapter or UK USB wall charger.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2014 7:43 PM GMT

Expower 5w*2 Bookshelf furnishings / computer desk / home wireless Bluetooth speaker (microphone, FM radio, alarm clock, AUX input) (Black+Red)
Offered by Smart techonology

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought another!, 13 Aug. 2014
Very impressed with this portable Bluetooth speaker.

I was looking for a small lightweight portable speaker that was easy to use, inexpensive enough take on my travels without worrying about damage and sounded good - most importantly I wanted an micro SD card facility.

Sound Quality
OK it is not a Bose soundlink mini but still has a nice well balanced sound that is a pleasure to listen to. Bass is good for speaker of this size and does not distort or get too boomy. It goes loud enough to get my wife to ask me to switch it down and fill a medium sized room.

Controls
This speaker has control buttons located on the top with a positive click action - much better than the touch sensitive controls which some rivals have. The little screen shows the volume level as you adjust which is another good feature as on others it is easy to skip tracks when you try to adjust volume. The on/off button is a small slider on the back.

Radio
Does not seem to require the usb cable to be plugged in to use which is good. Simply press and hold the FM button and it will scan and store available radio stations which you can then step through by pressing the play button. Reception is pretty good where I live and the built in display shows frequency setting.

Bluetooth
Have not tried this yet but not expecting any issues.

Micro SD card
This was my main reason for buying the speaker so I could play without having to have my phone or iPod with me. If SD card is inserted then speaker defaults to this when you switch on. You can select FM or Bluetooth by pressing the buttons on the top. I have another speaker make which defaults to Bluetooth and you have to take the SD card out and reinsert to play which is annoying. Tracks are played in sequence and you can skip forward and back. The lcd screen shows track number and run time. I would have liked a shuffle feature but have not found any speaker like this that will do that.

Battery
The unit has a battery condition indicator in the lcd screen which is again a nice little feature. It came showing a full battery and I have played for several hours now and the full indicator has not moved.

Clock and alarm
It does have a built in clock and alarm but have not tried yet - not a feature I will use much.

LCD display
Did not think this would be of any use but actually it is helpful particularly when adjusting volume and choosing FM stations.

Overall I am delighted with this speaker which provides the features I wanted, good sound and great value.

Ricco P18 MINI DSP 2.0 Channel Aluminium Portable Travel Speaker with BUILT-IN BATTERY and SD MEMORY CARD READER upto 16GB Compatible with ANY 3.5mm Audio Line-in Device mobile phones mp3 players iPhone 3GS 4 iPad iPod Nano Touch Classic 3G G3 G4 G5 (1xBLACK)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value portable speaker with surprising sound delivery, 4 Aug. 2011
To be honest for £[] I wasn't expecting too much but was stunned by the quality and performance of this portable speaker.

It is small and light enough to carry in your luggage but packs a great sound. OK it is not going to blow your windows out with bass but for it's size it compares well with far more expensive portables and is loud enough to fill a medium sized room.

It has a solid metal case with a metal grill and buttons with firm positive action - it feels quality. The controls are on the front, volume up and down, play/pause and skip track forward and back. You charge the Li-on batteries through a mini usb socket on the back - I have not used it enough to report on how long a charge will last yet. Leads supplied include USB/Mini USB and 3.5mm male to 3.5mm male. It also comes with a little fabric protective bag.

It takes an SD card up to 16GB which slots into the side. I popped one in with some MP3 tunes on it and away it went. There is also a 3.5mm socket to connect to the headphone socket of your device. I connected up my iPod classic with a FiiO L1 line out dock and this worked really well.

There are a few little grumbles but not enough to knock a star off. You cannot fully open the little stand on the back if anything is plugged in but it is so small the plug stops it from tipping backwards anyway. As far as the SD card goes when you switch the unit off it goes back to beginning - it would have been good for it to remember where it was or have a shuffle feature. If you load a 16GB card in you are going to get a little bored with the first 30 - 40 tunes.

For it's size and price it is the best of its type I have seen.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 1, 2012 7:57 PM BST

Philips DS700/05 Fidelio iPod Docking Speaker
Philips DS700/05 Fidelio iPod Docking Speaker

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful sound, 4 Aug. 2011
I have never really regarded Philips as a strong player in the audio market - fine for TV's, kettles and razors but with audio products my experience is that they have been average. I bought this for taking on holiday on the strength of recently buying one of it's bigger brothers, the DS8500/05 PHILIPS DS8500/05 Fidelio Docking Speaker for iPhone/iPod - White, which is superb.

Out of the box the DS700/050 is a neat looking product, small and light and perfect for travel. It has a universal dock which means you don't need to fit different adaptors and it is long enough for me to dock my nano with the protective case on. It comes with a mains adapter and all was looking good.... and then I listened to it.

Using an iPod Classic with equaliser set to flat highs were bright and mids were clear, however in the mid to bass range the sound is badly muffled and distorted. I am not just talking about bass guitar or drums but even lower vocals.This occurs at 50% - 70% volumes so not even when the unit is being pushed. It was so bad I contacted Philips customer support and they suggested it was faulty and that I request a replacement from Amazon. No problems there, replacement arrived promptly today but sadly this unit is just as bad so that will be going back as well.

If you are looking for a small travel speaker check out the Ricco P18 Mini. It is not an iPod dock but does have lithium rechargeable batteries, an SD card facility, sounds much better the Philips and is a lot cheaper! You can still get digital output from your iPod into the speaker by using a FiiO L1 line out dock FiiO L1 Line Out Dock Cable for iPod, iPhone and iPad or similar. If docking and charging are important to you look at the JBL On Stage Micro JBL On Stage Micro II Speaker Dock for iPod - Black which is small, sounds good and has a remote.

As for the DS700/05 I think Philips should be embarrassed and certainly it has undermined my new found confidence in their audio products.

Tonight Josephine!
Tonight Josephine!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Electro Swing, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Tonight Josephine! (MP3 Download)
I discovered Electro Swing after hearing Caro Emeralds 'A Night Like This' on the radio and then downloading Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor. Electro Swing is basically jazz, swing and big band style music from the 20's, 30's and 40's fused with modern genres such as Electro, House and Hip Hop - it works really well. For me some other Electro Swing music goes a bit too far towards the modern but Tonight Josephine stays pretty true to the original swing style and feel.

Normally a bit of Prog Rock fan I find this type of music fun and uplifting and you will find it hard not to tap your feet, fingers and other body parts to the beat! Tonight Josephine is a very fine album, well produced with quality vocals and superb musicians - I love it.

If you like this album also check out Swing Republic Electro Swing Republic which is also a very good album.

iLuv Stereo Speaker Dock for iPod and iPhone with jAura Sound Technology (IMM289)
Offered by UK Surplus Central Ltd - Dispatched Same Day If Order Received By 14:00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sound, great value but better small docks are out there, 13 July 2011
I bought this on the strength of a What Hi-Fi? five star rating review looking for something to take on my hols that would also let you to watch video on iPhone or iTouch in landscape mode.
Firstly the most important thing - the sound. With 10 being Monitor quality Hi-Fi and 1 being a 1960's AM transistor radio I would rate this as a 5. Treble and midrange are OK with acceptable bass dropping away as you would expect with such small speakers. There is a slight boxiness to the sound - there are better sounding small docks out there. It is loud enough to fill a medium sized room and I have not noticed any distortion apart from the highest volume.

The design allows you rotate it through 90 degrees so you can use your iThingy in landscape mode which is good. However this results in an odd bracket which clips into place on the back of the unit which I think looks pretty awkward and makes positioning trickier than it need be. You can easily detach this bracket should you want to take this away with you but in my view the unit is too big for travel unless you have a pretty large suitcase. There is no remote control and the unit does not take batteries.

In summary good sound for the size, very good value, ability to rotate is a nice feature but better sounding, greater functionality and more portable docks are available. Take a look at JBL On Stage Micro II.JBL On Stage Micro II Speaker Dock for iPod - Black or if your budget will stand it JBL On Stage IIIP Portable Loudspeaker Dock for iPod and iPhone 3G (Remote Control - Battery or A/C )

Sennheiser HD 448 High Quality Closed Back Circumaural Headphones
Sennheiser HD 448 High Quality Closed Back Circumaural Headphones

2.0 out of 5 stars Good sound but uncomfortable, 12 July 2011
I am a big fan of Sennheiser headphones having bought them for years and I own both HD570's and HD600's which are superb. They are open back though and I wanted a closed back pair so I could listen to my stuff without the intrusion of Britain Comes Shuffling or whatever my family are watching on TV. The sound quality of these cans is very good although to be honest I have not even burnt them in yet as they are so uncomfortable. The headband is too tight and the ear pads are simply not big enough to fit around my ears - I don't think mine are particularly large! The other Sennheisers fit fine with the cup going around the ear unlike these which pinch the ear against the head. As the fit is not that good the sound isolation is also less than I had hoped.
So they are sitting in the provided storage bag on the floor by my Hi-Fi and not I am not sure what I am going to do with them. Do I have any small eared relatives who might like a surprise used gift?
I have now got some Audio-Technica ATH-A500's which in fairness were double the price but sound amazing and fit like a glove, they are also are very effective at blocking out X-Talent and the like!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Works a Treat, 12 July 2011
OK so it's a brush so what can you really say? The bristles are firm but not scratchy so it gets into all those important crevices in your car, electronic equipment etc without damage. It's a good size, about the same as a small paintbrush and so far it has not dropped any bristles. A good addition to your car cleaning kit.

Logic3 FM Transmitter for iPad, iPhone and iPod
Logic3 FM Transmitter for iPad, iPhone and iPod

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 12 July 2011
I have had few FM transmitters and they have varied from junk to average with constant hiss and other station interference. Using this one in a C Max and a Focus it works really well with clear sound and, in the country side where I live at least, no interference.
The unit plugs into your iPod and takes it power from the player so you don't have to plug it into your cars power socket. To get a clear frequency simply press the 'S' button on the Logic 3 and it will find one for you and displays it on the LCD screen, then tune your car radio. The unit has a mini usb power input socket so you can hook it up to your cars power supply and if this is connected it will also charge your iPod but you will have to buy this lead separately - one star knocked off for not including this.

Page: 1 | 2