Profile for SarahLJ > Reviews

Content by SarahLJ

SarahLJ (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
WIPE - Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Story)
WIPE - Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 20 Oct 2014
The Wipe is first being published in five parts, with the whole book published together shortly after all five parts have been released.

Wills and Maze are talking about theories for the Wipe, or rather Wills is listening to Maze voice her conspiracy theories and because he is hopelessly in love with her. He goes with her to the Deadlands and they risk life and limb to try and prove her conspiracy theories. What they stumble upon, will change their lives forever.

This isn't the first I've read a book from Joseph Turkot. I read The Rain trilogy and he's done it again. What a fantastic start to a book. It is the perfect amount of suspense and information to push you through and keep you turning the pages. The end of it keeps that suspense up and makes you want to get Part 2, which hasn't been released as of yet and no known date either.

Joseph is a great writer, nice simple writing that gets straight to the point and shows you the story. The images are so vivid in my head as I read his work, it's well worth picking up one of his books if you haven't yet. His characters are so realistic, right from the start and the dialogue is fantastic. I can't wait to follow them through their journey throughout the rest of the Wipe

Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)
Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prequel, 17 Oct 2014
Mind Games is a short prequel to the first novel in the Mindjack Trilogy, Open Minds. I read this short story after Open Minds, if you want the experience to learn things as Kira does in the novel, then I think it's good to read if afterwards, but it doesn't spoil anything if you want to read it first either. It's written in first person from Raf's point of view and is set a few months before Open Minds, which is written in first person from Kira's point of view.

I really enjoyed this for the most part. Reading from Raf's point of view is nice as it gives some insight into his mind and his view on Kira. It's not particularly needed to understand the series, but it's nice to read all the same.

Something for those who want to read Raf's point of view.

The Damage Done
The Damage Done

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisted, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Damage Done (Kindle Edition)
Jervis Samsa was withdrawing from Heroin the damage done. This story is a dark, twisted tale about his thoughts and reactions has he goes through two days of withdrawal.

It’s not a bad story, it’s nicely dark and twisted and it captures the essence of what strange things I expect a person could go through when withdrawing, with dark sinister repercussions.

It isn't my usual book, nor would I would usually pick up. It was a very quick read though and it was kind of creepy too.

Baby Talk - Book 1: Every Parent's Horror Story
Baby Talk - Book 1: Every Parent's Horror Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half a story, 17 Oct 2014
Neil wanted his wife to abort their baby, Natasha. Now, she is 5 months old and he thinks she is out to get him.

The story is enough to keep wanting to read, to want to know what happens next. As it started off, I felt intrigued with the plot. It has a lot of potential and it wasn't a bad story either.

I'd like to have seen the finished product in one book though. The story get's to what feels to me like most of the way through the book and just abruptly stops and tells you to buy book 2 to read the conclusion to the story. My problem with this, is it doesn't read like a series and the abrupt ending didn't help that. For me, the writing itself wasn't great. The characters were my main problem with the book, they felt one-dimensional to me and I didn't feel invested in them at all. I'm not bothered what happens to them and for that reason, I probably won't be going ahead and buying book 2. I don't feel the need to continue, if the characters stood out to me, then I would go ahead and buy book 2. Unfortunately, I didn't.

I picked this up because it was free and it was suppose to be a horror story, but for me. It didn't feel like horror.

www.lfbookreviews.co.uk

Brainstorm
Brainstorm

2.0 out of 5 stars it wasn't a great story, I expected more action a lot sooner ..., 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Brainstorm (Kindle Edition)
Michael Eriksson is a Psychologist, he's lonely, depressed and suffering himself, but as a Psychologist, he has to help save people, that includes saving somebodies life if they are about the jump.

For me, it wasn't a great story, I expected more action a lot sooner than it was. It didn't start badly, it did make me want to carry on reading, which is a good start. After that, when I expected to have some action or something, it didn't happen. It read to me, more like it was a character analysis than a story. You learn bits and pieces about Michael as the story progresses, but just as the story starts, it's over.

I think it could have had great potential as a story and a lot more could have been done for it. I rated it 2 stars because I feel like the story didn't start until it was too late and the character analysis took centre stage rather than the plot.

My Sister's Grave
My Sister's Grave

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic legal Thriller, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: My Sister's Grave (Kindle Edition)
MY Sister's Grave is a fantastic legal Thriller that I picked up as part of Kindle First and is due to be released 1st November. My review of this book has not be comprised by the fact it's an arc. The story is a mystery that grabs you, pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the last page. Even then, it lingers with you and leaves you wondering about the characters and what is next for them.

Tracey Crosswhite let her eighteen year old sister drive her car home alone one night after a shooting competition and never saw her alive again. The story takes you through her battle with finding out what actually happened to her sister using flashbacks from that night, twenty years ago and the battle in the present.

I loved the characters, they were so realistic and I still find myself thinking about them two days later. I can't help but feel sorry for them and wonder what happens next for them. The story itself is really interesting and contains some edge of the seat stuff. I particularly liked how the story moved between part and present to bring the story together to its epic conclusion. It was done well, the plot was great and it was written well too.

The only part of the story I didn't like was the usual, side line romance. It seems pretty standard in most thrillers or mysteries I read to include a romance between two of the characters. This romance was predictable and if I'm completely honest, unnecessary. There wasn't anything unusual in it and it didn't help the story along at all. It could have been done without it just as well.

Overall, a great novel, my first from this author and it won't be my last. I recommend this to all readers of legal Thrillers and mysteries. I struggled to put this down, when I had to put it down to sleep it kind of felt like it was being forcibly removed from my possession whilst I was was kicking, screaming and holding on to it for dear life. I don't think you will be disappointed in this one.

Watching Over You
Watching Over You

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Watching Over You (Kindle Edition)
Watching over you is a book that I just couldn't put down. Charley lost her husband and a child and in a bid to start a new life she moves into a nice little flat in Stoke on Trent, UK. It's a quiet neighbourhood and that's just what Charley is after. She meets her landlady Ella early in the novel and she seems quite nice at first. It's quite apparent from early on that Ella is schizophrenic and has plans for Charley. The novel is about the struggle Ella has between herself and her alter ego Cassandra and how that effects Charley and her new life. I have to warn you this book is an adult book. It has plenty of swearing in it as well as explicit descriptions of sex and there is a lot of sex in this book, which starts from the very beginning. The novel is much more than sex though, it's not about sex at all and it could have been written without the sex in it and still given a great picture on what the characters are like.

I loved this book, the story is fantastic and it keeps you gripped. There is a lot of scenes that can sometimes be pretty intense without much down time between, which is great. I really enjoy when you don't get much breathing space between them, it really helps to keep me turning the pages, so much so that I finished the book in around 7 hours, which is pretty fast for me. I really liked reading about the characters, you got to know them all really well. Particularly Ella/Cassandra. Ella is schizophrenic bunny boiler who is struggling to keep control of her alter ego Cassandra, it's Cassandra who is a vulgar, sex crazed psychopath. Charley is a sweet woman that just wants to put her past behind her and live in a nice quiet neighbourhood and just get on with her life. Jake is just a teenager, but he also has a massive crush on Ella and he likes to watch her from his bedroom window. The elderly woman opposite Ella's flat is Jean, a house bound, nosey woman who likes to watch and write down the comings and goings of everyone is the neighbourhood.

The audible version of this book is narrated by Anne Flosnik; however, it just doesn't work. She has what I think, is a Yorkshire accent and it doesn't really fit well with the novel at all. She also struggles to pronounce certain words correctly and it kind of spoils it. I suggest, if you can avoid the audible version narrated by her if at all possible then it is probably a good idea. Otherwise, the novel is a great read and one I would recommend in any other format.

Guns (Kindle Single)
Guns (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, interesting read, 29 Sep 2014
This is a short, non fiction book that is in five parts in which King talks about his views on guns, and the school shootings which the killers were found to have read Rage, the novel he wrote on the subject under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. I could it quite interesting actually. An easy, short read.

The Body Departed
The Body Departed

3.0 out of 5 stars OK At best, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Body Departed (Kindle Edition)
The Body departed is about a ghost, he doesn't remember much from his life and he evens struggles to remember his name sometimes. He believes he is going hell, but can't remember why. With the help of a medium, he has to try and fix the problems he caused when he was alive if he has any hope of going to heaven.

The main character is called James, he's the ghost. As a character, he is okay, but he doesn't grab me. To me, he's not very exciting and if it wasn't for the story line, I probably wouldn't stick with the story at all. You do get little snippets of information throughout the story about his life and you find out more and more about him until you get the full picture by the end of the book. I really like Jacob though, his story really pulled at my heart strings and I found myself really feeling sorry for him and wanting to find out more about him.

At the start of the story, I could see the potential it had, it didn't take too long to start getting interesting, but it didn't last until the end of the story. The pace was picking up nicely and I was just getting pulled into the story when it went down hill. There wasn't enough going on at the last part of the story to keep the suspense built up and last half of the book suffered for it.

The Basement
The Basement

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s quite clever how Stephen Leather changes perspective like that. It’s quite a shock to the system ..., 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
The Basement is a short thriller of just 135 pages. The Basement It is about a struggling writer called Marvin Waller who is trying desperately to get his screenplays recognised in the film industry. Meanwhile, two detectives are hellbent on finding a serial killer and Marvin is their number one suspect.

The Book was written from two different viewpoints, first person when it’s Marvin’s scenes and second person when it’s the killers scenes. The second person scenes are intense and can be quite graphic in parts, featuring both violence and sexual descriptions. When the perspective changes, you see a page break and italics and this perspective helps to throw you into the interactions between the killer and their captive. It’s quite clever how Stephen Leather changes perspective like that. It’s quite a shock to the system when it first happens, but for me, it totally works. Stephen Leather has done it well for the most part, it really helps to build the suspense.

The Main character, for me is annoying. I disliked him completely. He’s uptight, but he has incredible self-control and only lets people see what he wants them to see. As you read, thanks to the first person perspective, you get an incredible sense of what he’s really like underneath his façade.

The story starts off well at first and get’s you wondering from the start where it’s all going, it doesn't last long though. At only a quarter of the way through it started to feel a little repetitive. It’s worth pushing through though as it doesn't last long. The suspense builds slowly through and by three-quarters of the way though the intensity is immense. It is completely riveting and really holds me into the story and makes me see every detail of the story in my mind. It’s a far cry from the book that struggled to hold my attention at a quarter. The intensity continues after this point until the end where my heart was beating through my chest and I was all but screaming at the characters.

The ending for me was very unexpected and as I finished my first thought was wow!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20