Profile for SarahLJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Revival
Revival

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 16 Nov 2014
This review is from: Revival (Kindle Edition)
Revival is written in the first person perspective from Jamie Morton's point of view. It starts when he is just 6 years old and spans decades throughout his life, with a truly chilling end.

The start of the book is brilliant and it really drags you in from the first page, so much so that I was nearly late because I was so into the book. The characters are so realistic, I had a hard time remembering it was just a story when I'd finished the book. Even two days later, the events that happened and the characters won't leave my mind. The plot itself is utterly brilliant and as always with Sai. King it's very well written. If you like chilling endings then this book is for you.

The story itself doesn't start to really get horrific until about 70% through, but after that point it intensifies so much until you get to it's dramatic, chilling and if I'm quite honest scary ending. I was reading and the further along I got, the more the feeling of dread that had been accumulating for a while took hold of me. My eyes watered and my breath quickened and I had to force myself to breath slowly. Of all the horrors I've read, this is the first in a long time that has actually scared me. The synopsis as found on stephenking.com said 'It's on it's way to the most terrifying conclusion Stephen King has ever written' and of the ones of I have read of his, for me at least, it's true.

Overall a fantastic book that I just couldn't put down. It's definitely more of a psychological horror story, one that really get's you thinking and it's the concept itself that is terrifying. Just a warning, there is religious references scattered throughout the book, particularly throughout much of the first half, but coming from someone who isn't religious myself it doesn't spoil the book at all.

I urge all fans of horror and Stephen King to pick up this book. Even if you are one of those people who prefer his older work. This one really goes back to his horror roots and will leave you thinking about it for days afterwards.

Ghost Moon Night
Ghost Moon Night

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but not brilliant, 10 Nov 2014
This review is from: Ghost Moon Night (Kindle Edition)
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. The story is set in the Philippines and it is set in a small village that was cursed by pirates with the flying undead 75 years before the story itself. It is up to Antonio Pulido, a 17 year old to help rid the village of the curse that has been plaguing people every Ghost Moon Night.

I enjoyed that the book was set in the Philippines. It's the first book that I read that was set there and it was nice reading the descriptions of the buildings and the village. That and the intriguing plot is what made me want to read this book and it is what kept me reading. I could see the potential Antionio had and would a good strong character he could be. He had a strong personality and the drive to do anything he wanted.

For me, unfortunately, that is where the good points ended. The book has that unfortunate slump in the middle. The actions scenes were few and far between and when they were just getting started, they ended. By 60% there had only been one Ghost Moon Night and even that was over quickly. I also expected more talk about it and how they were going to end the curse and rid the village of the Langbaum. It seemed like it was all but forgotten about and Antonio was just trying to make a life for himself. I also didn't feel any attachment to any of the characters, he didn't seem very real to me and I didn't seem to care about what happened to him at all.

When it actually came to the ended, I expected more than I got. I feel like it was a little anticlimactic.

Overall, I felt it was a little slow and the action scenes dropped off too quickly back to Antonio acting anything but himself. Some scenes felt forced, like the author was adding it just because she needed to word count, not because Antonio would do that. I would have liked to see more planning for ending the curse. It read more like it was a last minute thought and I felt like she spent a lot of it telling the story rather than showing the story.

Overall, an OK story, but not one that I would likely re-read.

Madeline (A Short Horror Story)
Madeline (A Short Horror Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Creepy, 6 Nov 2014
Jonah is a hard-working man just trying to do his best for his family. His wife Julia is getting stranger by the day and no longer keeps the house clean and tidy. She prefers to be doing stuff in the shed instead. He get's home one night to find his daughter Madeline gone from her bed and that's when he realises what Julia has intended to do. He has to try to save himself and his daughter.

A great creepy short horror story with a surprising ending. I could see another story coming from it. I'm not sure if that was the author's intention, but I love the endless possibilities that could come off this story. It really intrigued me. I just had to know where he was going with it as soon as I realised what Julia was planning. A well written story and it's well worth the read.

Look Behind You
Look Behind You

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, fast paced read., 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Look Behind You (Kindle Edition)
Look behind you is a thriller, that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Chloe Benson wakes up underground, locked up and had no memory of how she got there. She manages to escape and has to retrace her steps and try and recover her memories to find out how she got there and who put her there, but the challenge she faces, is that nobody believes her.

I like Chloe, she seems such a nice, caring person, but has life has beaten her down. She just wants to please everybody. There is nothing unusual about the plot, but it still makes for a great story. The suspense builds slowly throughout the book, with not much breathing space, but I love stories like that. Sibel is a great author and she manages to bring the characters to life with her words, you follow the characters around as they go through the story as though you are there with them.

The only problem I had with the story, is that to me, I found it a little too obvious, she tries hard to hide who does it and did make me doubt it for a short while, but I would have liked to see it twisted up a little at the end instead.

Overall a 4 star book though that fans of thrillers and mysteries might enjoy. A quick, fast paced read.

www.lfbookreviews.co.uk

WIPE - Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Story)
WIPE - Part 1 (A Post-Apocalyptic Story)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hooked, 20 Oct 2014
The Wipe is first being published in five parts, with the whole book published together shortly after all five parts have been released.

Wills and Maze are talking about theories for the Wipe, or rather Wills is listening to Maze voice her conspiracy theories and because he is hopelessly in love with her. He goes with her to the Deadlands and they risk life and limb to try and prove her conspiracy theories. What they stumble upon, will change their lives forever.

This isn't the first I've read a book from Joseph Turkot. I read The Rain trilogy and he's done it again. What a fantastic start to a book. It is the perfect amount of suspense and information to push you through and keep you turning the pages. The end of it keeps that suspense up and makes you want to get Part 2, which hasn't been released as of yet and no known date either.

Joseph is a great writer, nice simple writing that gets straight to the point and shows you the story. The images are so vivid in my head as I read his work, it's well worth picking up one of his books if you haven't yet. His characters are so realistic, right from the start and the dialogue is fantastic. I can't wait to follow them through their journey throughout the rest of the Wipe

Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)
Mind Games (Mindjack Origins #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prequel, 17 Oct 2014
Mind Games is a short prequel to the first novel in the Mindjack Trilogy, Open Minds. I read this short story after Open Minds, if you want the experience to learn things as Kira does in the novel, then I think it's good to read if afterwards, but it doesn't spoil anything if you want to read it first either. It's written in first person from Raf's point of view and is set a few months before Open Minds, which is written in first person from Kira's point of view.

I really enjoyed this for the most part. Reading from Raf's point of view is nice as it gives some insight into his mind and his view on Kira. It's not particularly needed to understand the series, but it's nice to read all the same.

Something for those who want to read Raf's point of view.

The Damage Done
The Damage Done

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisted, 17 Oct 2014
This review is from: The Damage Done (Kindle Edition)
Jervis Samsa was withdrawing from Heroin the damage done. This story is a dark, twisted tale about his thoughts and reactions has he goes through two days of withdrawal.

It’s not a bad story, it’s nicely dark and twisted and it captures the essence of what strange things I expect a person could go through when withdrawing, with dark sinister repercussions.

It isn't my usual book, nor would I would usually pick up. It was a very quick read though and it was kind of creepy too.

Baby Talk - Book 1: Every Parent's Horror Story
Baby Talk - Book 1: Every Parent's Horror Story

3.0 out of 5 stars Only half a story, 17 Oct 2014
Neil wanted his wife to abort their baby, Natasha. Now, she is 5 months old and he thinks she is out to get him.

The story is enough to keep wanting to read, to want to know what happens next. As it started off, I felt intrigued with the plot. It has a lot of potential and it wasn't a bad story either.

I'd like to have seen the finished product in one book though. The story get's to what feels to me like most of the way through the book and just abruptly stops and tells you to buy book 2 to read the conclusion to the story. My problem with this, is it doesn't read like a series and the abrupt ending didn't help that. For me, the writing itself wasn't great. The characters were my main problem with the book, they felt one-dimensional to me and I didn't feel invested in them at all. I'm not bothered what happens to them and for that reason, I probably won't be going ahead and buying book 2. I don't feel the need to continue, if the characters stood out to me, then I would go ahead and buy book 2. Unfortunately, I didn't.

I picked this up because it was free and it was suppose to be a horror story, but for me. It didn't feel like horror.

www.lfbookreviews.co.uk

Brainstorm
Brainstorm

2.0 out of 5 stars it wasn't a great story, I expected more action a lot sooner ..., 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: Brainstorm (Kindle Edition)
Michael Eriksson is a Psychologist, he's lonely, depressed and suffering himself, but as a Psychologist, he has to help save people, that includes saving somebodies life if they are about the jump.

For me, it wasn't a great story, I expected more action a lot sooner than it was. It didn't start badly, it did make me want to carry on reading, which is a good start. After that, when I expected to have some action or something, it didn't happen. It read to me, more like it was a character analysis than a story. You learn bits and pieces about Michael as the story progresses, but just as the story starts, it's over.

I think it could have had great potential as a story and a lot more could have been done for it. I rated it 2 stars because I feel like the story didn't start until it was too late and the character analysis took centre stage rather than the plot.

My Sister's Grave
My Sister's Grave

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic legal Thriller, 11 Oct 2014
This review is from: My Sister's Grave (Kindle Edition)
MY Sister's Grave is a fantastic legal Thriller that I picked up as part of Kindle First and is due to be released 1st November. My review of this book has not be comprised by the fact it's an arc. The story is a mystery that grabs you, pulls you in and doesn't let you go until the last page. Even then, it lingers with you and leaves you wondering about the characters and what is next for them.

Tracey Crosswhite let her eighteen year old sister drive her car home alone one night after a shooting competition and never saw her alive again. The story takes you through her battle with finding out what actually happened to her sister using flashbacks from that night, twenty years ago and the battle in the present.

I loved the characters, they were so realistic and I still find myself thinking about them two days later. I can't help but feel sorry for them and wonder what happens next for them. The story itself is really interesting and contains some edge of the seat stuff. I particularly liked how the story moved between part and present to bring the story together to its epic conclusion. It was done well, the plot was great and it was written well too.

The only part of the story I didn't like was the usual, side line romance. It seems pretty standard in most thrillers or mysteries I read to include a romance between two of the characters. This romance was predictable and if I'm completely honest, unnecessary. There wasn't anything unusual in it and it didn't help the story along at all. It could have been done without it just as well.

Overall, a great novel, my first from this author and it won't be my last. I recommend this to all readers of legal Thrillers and mysteries. I struggled to put this down, when I had to put it down to sleep it kind of felt like it was being forcibly removed from my possession whilst I was was kicking, screaming and holding on to it for dear life. I don't think you will be disappointed in this one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20