Profile for SarahLJ > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Watching Over You
Watching Over You

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic read, 1 Oct 2014
This review is from: Watching Over You (Kindle Edition)
Watching over you is a book that I just couldn't put down. Charley lost her husband and a child and in a bid to start a new life she moves into a nice little flat in Stoke on Trent, UK. It's a quiet neighbourhood and that's just what Charley is after. She meets her landlady Ella early in the novel and she seems quite nice at first. It's quite apparent from early on that Ella is schizophrenic and has plans for Charley. The novel is about the struggle Ella has between herself and her alter ego Cassandra and how that effects Charley and her new life. I have to warn you this book is an adult book. It has plenty of swearing in it as well as explicit descriptions of sex and there is a lot of sex in this book, which starts from the very beginning. The novel is much more than sex though, it's not about sex at all and it could have been written without the sex in it and still given a great picture on what the characters are like.

I loved this book, the story is fantastic and it keeps you gripped. There is a lot of scenes that can sometimes be pretty intense without much down time between, which is great. I really enjoy when you don't get much breathing space between them, it really helps to keep me turning the pages, so much so that I finished the book in around 7 hours, which is pretty fast for me. I really liked reading about the characters, you got to know them all really well. Particularly Ella/Cassandra. Ella is schizophrenic bunny boiler who is struggling to keep control of her alter ego Cassandra, it's Cassandra who is a vulgar, sex crazed psychopath. Charley is a sweet woman that just wants to put her past behind her and live in a nice quiet neighbourhood and just get on with her life. Jake is just a teenager, but he also has a massive crush on Ella and he likes to watch her from his bedroom window. The elderly woman opposite Ella's flat is Jean, a house bound, nosey woman who likes to watch and write down the comings and goings of everyone is the neighbourhood.

The audible version of this book is narrated by Anne Flosnik; however, it just doesn't work. She has what I think, is a Yorkshire accent and it doesn't really fit well with the novel at all. She also struggles to pronounce certain words correctly and it kind of spoils it. I suggest, if you can avoid the audible version narrated by her if at all possible then it is probably a good idea. Otherwise, the novel is a great read and one I would recommend in any other format.

Guns (Kindle Single)
Guns (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quick, interesting read, 29 Sep 2014
This is a short, non fiction book that is in five parts in which King talks about his views on guns, and the school shootings which the killers were found to have read Rage, the novel he wrote on the subject under his pseudonym Richard Bachman. I could it quite interesting actually. An easy, short read.

The Body Departed
The Body Departed

3.0 out of 5 stars OK At best, 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Body Departed (Kindle Edition)
The Body departed is about a ghost, he doesn't remember much from his life and he evens struggles to remember his name sometimes. He believes he is going hell, but can't remember why. With the help of a medium, he has to try and fix the problems he caused when he was alive if he has any hope of going to heaven.

The main character is called James, he's the ghost. As a character, he is okay, but he doesn't grab me. To me, he's not very exciting and if it wasn't for the story line, I probably wouldn't stick with the story at all. You do get little snippets of information throughout the story about his life and you find out more and more about him until you get the full picture by the end of the book. I really like Jacob though, his story really pulled at my heart strings and I found myself really feeling sorry for him and wanting to find out more about him.

At the start of the story, I could see the potential it had, it didn't take too long to start getting interesting, but it didn't last until the end of the story. The pace was picking up nicely and I was just getting pulled into the story when it went down hill. There wasn't enough going on at the last part of the story to keep the suspense built up and last half of the book suffered for it.

The Basement
The Basement

4.0 out of 5 stars It’s quite clever how Stephen Leather changes perspective like that. It’s quite a shock to the system ..., 28 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Basement (Kindle Edition)
The Basement is a short thriller of just 135 pages. The Basement It is about a struggling writer called Marvin Waller who is trying desperately to get his screenplays recognised in the film industry. Meanwhile, two detectives are hellbent on finding a serial killer and Marvin is their number one suspect.

The Book was written from two different viewpoints, first person when it’s Marvin’s scenes and second person when it’s the killers scenes. The second person scenes are intense and can be quite graphic in parts, featuring both violence and sexual descriptions. When the perspective changes, you see a page break and italics and this perspective helps to throw you into the interactions between the killer and their captive. It’s quite clever how Stephen Leather changes perspective like that. It’s quite a shock to the system when it first happens, but for me, it totally works. Stephen Leather has done it well for the most part, it really helps to build the suspense.

The Main character, for me is annoying. I disliked him completely. He’s uptight, but he has incredible self-control and only lets people see what he wants them to see. As you read, thanks to the first person perspective, you get an incredible sense of what he’s really like underneath his façade.

The story starts off well at first and get’s you wondering from the start where it’s all going, it doesn't last long though. At only a quarter of the way through it started to feel a little repetitive. It’s worth pushing through though as it doesn't last long. The suspense builds slowly through and by three-quarters of the way though the intensity is immense. It is completely riveting and really holds me into the story and makes me see every detail of the story in my mind. It’s a far cry from the book that struggled to hold my attention at a quarter. The intensity continues after this point until the end where my heart was beating through my chest and I was all but screaming at the characters.

The ending for me was very unexpected and as I finished my first thought was wow!

Ascension
Ascension
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic first series., 20 Sep 2014
Fantastic first series. I really wasn't expecting to get past the first episode when I started watching it. It surpassed my expectations. Worth watching for fans of Science Fiction

Wilderness: A short story (Kindle Single)
Wilderness: A short story (Kindle Single)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little prequel, 20 Sep 2014
This is a great little prequel to Dean Koontz's Innocence. It's a fairly self contained little story.

Addison was born different, his mother could hardly care to be around him and he spent most of his time living in the wilderness outside. He's only eight years old, but find himself trying to run away from a hunter. It's the story on the start in life he's had and his views on how he looks and how people react when they see him.

It's very sad to read about a child being treated like that by his mother, and the hunter and possibly other people he may come across in his life.

At only 32 pages, it's very short, mealy an introduction to help to get to know Addison. In my opinion it's worth reading before you read Innocence, but as I've not read Innocence yet, that opinion may change.

It's only cheap, pick it up and give it a quick read, it won't hurt.

Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby
Your Baby Week By Week: The ultimate guide to caring for your new baby

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, 17 Sep 2014
Don't but this book. It suggests some discussing, so called advice, which can only be described as abuse.

25 Ways To Improve Your Website
25 Ways To Improve Your Website

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and informative, 14 Sep 2014
Wow, such a great, informative book. I have to admit, I wasn't expecting to find so much useful information within such a small amount of pages. I am very happy to be shocked. He goes through each of the 25 pointers thoroughly and clearly. He makes it easy to follow and all of the pointers were relevant to some extent. I've already implemented some of the things in this book as I was reading through it. If you have a website, or blog, this is a must read. Don't hesitate to buy this book, you won't be disappointed.

The Ultimate Guide to Blogging Laying the Foundation Part 2: Setting up Your Announcement Networks & Getting Google to Love You

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little book, 14 Sep 2014
I picked up this for free and I'm glad I did. A few nice pointers in here that will help me as I start blogging.

How to Start a Successful Blog in One Hour (Better Blog Booklets)
How to Start a Successful Blog in One Hour (Better Blog Booklets)

4.0 out of 5 stars Short & Useful, 14 Sep 2014
Very Short, but very useful step-by-step guide to starting a blog.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20