Profile for Mr. T. Fern > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. Fern

Mr. T. Fern "Frozen Reflection" (Brighton UK)

QUMOX Fetch dog adjustable harness camera mount for Gopro Hero HD SJcam SJ4000 wifi fits dog 15-120 LBS red
Offered by Locoisle777

2.0 out of 5 stars Unusable with active dogs, 27 Aug. 2015
It's very well put together but the camera bracket isn't secure enough, the moment my lab starts running the camera tips backwards. I've tried tightening it as much as I can and it makes no difference. All it needs is a flat bracket to fix the camera in place and I'd give it 5*. A shame because this could have been great.

Buffalo Ministation 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive
Buffalo Ministation 500GB USB 2.0 Portable Hard Disk Drive
Offered by Red Mobile

1.0 out of 5 stars Was working great until then, 14 Nov. 2014
Crashes for no apparent reason and now 10 years of photos are potentially lost. Was working great until then...

Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition (Playstation 4)
Call of Duty Advanced Warfare Day Zero Edition (Playstation 4)
Offered by bnhlmt

4.0 out of 5 stars A great game in it's own right, 14 Nov. 2014
If this was the first ever COD, people would be raving about it, as it isn't, this is instead a great edition to the COD franchise, the lighting and graphics are excellent, the claim of photo realism in the cutscenes is not far wrong. The new movement mechanics really make the multiplayer a different beast from previous iterations - I hear people say it's just titanfall but...why is that a bad thing again?

Better than ghosts and black ops, though the story is a little hackie.

Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Assassin's Creed in Middle Earth, 25 Oct. 2014
a fantastic game that takes the successful AC format and hurls it into a gritty and often gory setting (it is refreshing to see a LOTR game that hasn't had the violence toned down). The story line is intriguing if not compelling and the cast of characters, though a tad cliche - brooding ranger, jovial Scottish dwarf, arrogant elf, cockney orcs - make it an enjoyable journey. There's lots of nods towards the wider Tolkien canon which makes it a real treat although you might miss these if you've only seen the films .

The game mechanics are excellent, the fighting is fast and fluid but you need to think about what you're doing, just button bashing will get you killed very quickly, even at the higher levels. The three weapons at your disposal have unlock able slots where you can engrave runes. These are collected from slain captains and allow you to greatly vary your martial abilities. This is great because you have to think carefully about your strategy before engaging captains and war chiefs who each have very different skills, fears, strengths, vulnerabilities. No boss fight goes the same way which means you can't opposite on one strategy for the whole game.

The nemesis system is excellent and the ability to mind control Uruk captains is brilliant. Manipulating the Uruk armies around like pieces on a chess board takes time and effort but it adds a lot of depth to the game. You could probably charge through the main story in about 8 hours but there are loads of collectables and upgrades to find, I've got a good 30 hours in and I'm still no where near finished.

My only wish was some kind of multiplayer but with the time slowing focus mechanic I'm not sure it would work.

It's not the prettiest game out there but I've not had as much fun with a game in a long while.

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Offered by GameVerge

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fooled, there's a lot more to this than you think..., 28 Mar. 2014
It took me 119 minutes to complete the campaign first time round and I got a grade C. In a first for me in 2 decades of gaming, I immediately played the campaign again, this time it took me 90 minutes and I got a grade B. I'm going to keep doing it until I get that elusive S rank - this will probably take a good few hours. MGSV is an excellent game and people really shouldn't get hung up on the main story being potentially very short (you can do it in about 15 minutes if you really thrash about) because the replay value is immense and there are a further 5 missions to complete once you have completed the main story - these can take about an hour if you are being methodical.

The graphics are amazing on the PS4 and the gameplay is fluid and a lot less frustrating than other MGS games, for the price this is a fantastic buy - it also comes with some bonus stuff for next year's Phantom Pain which is nice. Ignore the haters, this is an excellent addition and a real show of next gen power. You've kept us waiting Snake but it was definitely worth while.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 19, 2015 2:00 PM GMT

Sony PS4 and Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4)
Sony PS4 and Killzone Shadow Fall (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted from a console, 25 Feb. 2014
I was a day 1 customer for the Xbox 360 and jumped ship when I learned that neither console was going to be backwards compatible. The PS4 is a games console. It doesn't have the internet TV streaming connectivity that the Xbox ONE has, but that's fine for me because I don't use it, same with Kinect. I'm a grown man and I don't want to be waving my arms at the TV to get it to work! The PS4 currently has Apps for Netflix, BBC iPlayer and several others on the way - this is enough as far as I'm concerned.

The UI is smooth and intuitive, there have been no issues with games and they all look gorgeous. The machine itself is nigh-on silent and looks sleek and professional. The controller is comfortable and the touch pad has lots of potential. Slight draw back is the controller's battery isn't amazing (I bought 2 so swap them round).

PSN is great and they have been giving away games every month - I've had about 6 free games, all of which have been good fun.

My favourite bit about the console is Remote Play with the PSVita which allows you to play PS4 games on your Vita (same way you could play PS3 games on the PSP) - this is intuitive, seamless and great when I need a gaming fix but my wife wants to watch TV.

At the moment the PS4 seems to be outselling the Xbox ONE and there are many games running at a better resolution on the PS4 (native 1080p on games like COD:G, ACIV, Thief etc vs 720p/900p on XB1) so the future is looking bright. I'd buy it again in a heart beat.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)
Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to it's best, 22 Jan. 2014
An absolutely fantastic game filled with all the things that were great about earlier Assassin's Creed games. Admittedly Edward Kenway is no Ezio from AC2 but he is is still an interesting figure. The storyline isn't as exciting as AC2 or even ACB but it's still good and the game is hard to put down.

It looks gorgeous on PS4 and even if there was a full library of games to play this would still be topping the list of 'must have' games.

Gusti Leder nature "Dorothy" Genuine Leather Notebook B4 Journal Diary Sketchbook Everyday Uni College Book Vintage Elephant P19
Offered by Gusti Leather

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product at an excellent price - I'm not much ..., 26 Nov. 2013
This was a gift for my brother who has just started an art degree. The leather is supple and fragrant whilst the pages are solid and usable for paint and inks. An excellent product at an excellent price - I'm not much of an artist but I might have to get one for myself!

Sigma AF18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC Optical Stabilizer Lens for Selected Canon Digital SLR Only

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good lens for the money, 15 May 2009
This is a quality lens for anyone looking to expand from the 'kit lens.' I toyed with the idea of getting the Canon 28-135mm but settled on this figuring that the extended range at both ends of the scale would be worth the 'risk' of going with a 3rd party name (I'm a bit of a label-boy) I am very glad I did, I'm running a 50D and the 17-85mm lens (another great lens but with a just-not-quite-big-enough range) and this lens works very well with the body - it also fits canon lens accessories which I hadn't realised.

It is not a heavy lens though you do notice it when it's fully extended but this isn't a problem. It's also well made, feeling solid and reliable and comes with a lens hood (take note Canon...) The motor on the Auto-focus is pretty loud (though the manual focus is silent) and the lens does hunt for focal points at times. Its for these 2 reasons why I have given this lens 4/5 stars but that said - I'm confident that you wont find a better lens for £300
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2012 6:01 PM GMT