Profile for S. Macleod > Reviews

Content by S. Macleod

S. Macleod (Inverness, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for me, 13 Oct 2014
I think I'm in the minority here as I really did not enjoy this book. I kept reading to the end in the hope that I would find some purpose in the whole thing, but I didn't. It may be intended as an observation of international politics in the 20th century, but there is clearly so much fiction interwoven with a small amount of fact that I don't think it serves that purpose. The characters were all unpleasant and
unscrupulous. I know it was a "laugh out loud" book for some, but not for me.

Sabichi Red Spot Lightweight Shopping Trolley
Sabichi Red Spot Lightweight Shopping Trolley
Offered by Prime Furnishing

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 13 Oct 2014
This was a birthday present for my sister, and she loves it!

A Great Deliverance: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 1
A Great Deliverance: An Inspector Lynley Novel: 1

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a book for me, 13 Oct 2014
This is the first Inspector Lynley book I have read, though I had seen a number of the TV dramas. I'm afraid I prefer the TV adaptations. The characters in the book are actually quite unpleasant and didn't appeal to me at all. There was also (for me) far too much lurid description of the sexual abuse background to the crime. I don't think I'll be reading any more of the series.

The Rumour (Comedy Verse)
The Rumour (Comedy Verse)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny, 13 Oct 2014
Highly entertaining, but probably only if you are Scottish. I had an old cassette of "Andy Stewart's Scotland," now disposed of, but I wanted to have "The Rumour" on my computer to listen to. He did the different accents so well,

Flow Free
Flow Free

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but addictive, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Flow Free (App)
This is a great app, but I fear I have wasted a lot of time on it! It is very addictive, but really good fun.

Gray Justice (A Tom Gray Novel Book 1)
Gray Justice (A Tom Gray Novel Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrid book, 6 Oct 2014
Nasty book, no characters I could even begin to like. Far too much violence and bad language. Won't be reading any more of the series.

The Girl Next Door
The Girl Next Door

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and depressing, 1 Sep 2014
This is quite unlike any other of Ruth Rendell's books I have read, and I found it quite depressing. None of the characters really appealed to me, and the "hands in the tin" part didn't bring the whole book together for me, nor did the child abuse of "the girl next door" of the title. I read it to the end hoping there might be something to grab my attention, but there wasn't, and it just left me with a pretty bleak view of old age. As I have recently entered my eighth decade it was certainly not inspiring. Bring back Wexford!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 12, 2014 12:40 PM BST

Lavazza A Modo Mio Cremosamente Dek, Pack of 5, 5 x 16 Capsules
Lavazza A Modo Mio Cremosamente Dek, Pack of 5, 5 x 16 Capsules
Offered by StormBrew

5.0 out of 5 stars Great coffee, 8 April 2014
I love my coffee machine but as I take mostly decaffeinated coffee the mixed packs are no use to me. This decaff is a good medium strength blend with a lovely flavour and good for drinking throughout the day.

Ordeal by Innocence (Signature Editions)
Ordeal by Innocence (Signature Editions)

4.0 out of 5 stars Another good read, 8 April 2014
I bought this after hearing the beginning of it dramatized on Radio 4. The radio version changed the ending slightly, and I preferred Agatha Christie's. Her books are always good to read, the characters are real (even if the plots are a bit unlikely!), and altogether it's a good yarn.

Codeword Unlimited +
Codeword Unlimited +

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad it was free, 17 Feb 2014
This review is from: Codeword Unlimited + (App)
As this was a free game it's perhaps ungracious to criticise it. I have spent/wasted a bit of time playing with it, but have found that its vocabulary is very limited and the same words keep cropping up again and again. I assume it's American as some of the words are not standard UK English spellings.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3