Profile for Queen Bee > Reviews

East of the Sun
by Julia Gregson
Price: 5.59

3.0 out of 5 stars Mediocre, 31 Aug 2008
This review is from: East of the Sun (Paperback)
This book relates the story of three girls travelling to, and consequently living in, India in the 1920's. In the main this is a very gentle story, each girl experiencing a different aspect of life in the subcontinent. I would describe this as a romantic novel, a genre I do not usually subscribe to so perhaps, understandably, I found myself wanting something more gritty to happen and felt the author could easily have done this. There are a few loose ends which aren't explained so one has to form one's own conclusions. It wasn't a great book by any means but maybe okay for an easy holiday read and I am sure fans of this type of novel will enjoy it as it is well written with some nice descriptions of the various locations.

Galt Tiny Trike
Galt Tiny Trike
Price: 32.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Great first rider, 15 Aug 2008
This review is from: Galt Tiny Trike (Toy)
I bought this trike for my grandson's first birthday & although he was interested and would happily sit on it for quite a long time, it took him a few months to get moving. However now he is off it is used every day, inside and out, and has to go with him wherever he goes. It is a nice size for small children and is very sturdy. Would highly recommend as a first "ride on".

WOW Toys Ernie Fire Engine
WOW Toys Ernie Fire Engine

5.0 out of 5 stars Frankie's favourite, 15 Aug 2008
This review is from: WOW Toys Ernie Fire Engine (Toy)
I bought this fire engine for my year old grandson purely on the reviews on Amazon. It has turned out to be one of his absolute favourites and he has played with it constantly for the past nine months. It was fantastic to find a toy which actually moves and makes noises but doesn't need batteries. It is extremely robust and well made. The turning ladder and places for the fire persons to sit enhance it's appeal but keep it uncomplicated for small children to cope with. I am now trying to decide which other Wow toys I should buy for him - very difficult as they are all so tempting.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief
by Markus Zusak
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A tear jerker, not to be missed., 7 Aug 2008
This review is from: The Book Thief (Paperback)
At first I found this a strange book, unlike anything I had read, style-wise, before and was unsure as to whether I would enjoy it. As I progressed I realised that this was a novel to rate highly. The style of writing, very simplistic in the main, and the fact that the narrator was death added to the enjoyment. The characters are superb and one empathised totally with them all. The story, set in Germany during WW2, was a real tear jerker and I challenge anyone not to be moved by it. The "dictionary quotes" were quite annoying at times and I felt there was little need for them but as one reads the book they become less and less irritating. I thought this was an extremely good read but not quite meriting five stars.

Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day?
Richard Scarry's What Do People Do All Day?
by Richard Scarry

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have book, 28 July 2008
Along with, it seems, the majority of the UK, my children loved all the Richard Scarry books, especially "What do people do all day?". I still have our copies (from the 70's) in the book case but will buy the next generation (the grandchildren) new copies as I can't bear to part with them. I haven't met a child yet who doesn't love this book.
The stories are informative and the illustrations delightful. A real must have book.

Call The Midwife: A True Story Of The East End In The 1950s
Call The Midwife: A True Story Of The East End In The 1950s
by Jennifer Worth
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing read, 10 July 2008
I only persevered to finish this book as it had been lent to me by a friend who rated it highly. It is a cross between a midwife's manual and an historical account of the East End in the fifties. It may have been of interest to midwives of that era or people living in the East End of London at that time but it certainly didn't give me any pleasure. As the book proceeded I found I liked the author less and less and wondered why she stuck with her vocation and could well believe that she eventually gave it up for her real love - music. I was nursing in the sixties, not I may add in the East End, and could well picture Ms. Worth as the feared Matron of that time. A little humour thrown in at some point would have made the book more enjoyable and also maybe a little humility from the author. The "story" of Conchita and her family was the one redeeming factor in this book. If you have no attachment to the East End or midwifery in the fifties give this book a wide berth.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2012 10:17 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9