Profile for jools > Reviews

The Last Letter from Your Lover
The Last Letter from Your Lover
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, 16 Nov 2013
i had only read one Jojo Moyes book before which i adored so i was excited to read this book.
i was not to be disappointed! I loved the affair played out in the Riviera and I fell in love with the characters. This book will stay with me for a long time.

The State We're In
The State We're In
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 20 Aug 2013
Brilliant, I usually like my reading matter to be slightly 'challenging' than your average 'chick lit' and I approached this book with some trepidation.
But oh my...... I adored the characters, I found myself looking forward to picking up my Kindle to continue reading it!
I laughed, I cried and this book has converted me to this genre, (sorry Lee Child, Tess Gerritson and et al but I won't be reading you for a while!)
There is a semi 'shocker' at the end that has been well documented, I found that it elevated this book to 5 stars.
Don't dismiss this as just another twee boy meets girl fluffy book, it deserves more thought than that!

The Never List
The Never List
Price: 3.49

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrific, 20 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Never List (Kindle Edition)
Some books come along whose subject matter is just too horrific.
I had heard some good reviews of this book and was looking forward to reading it.
It started well, I liked the flow of the book, it was well written and I was interested in the characters,
Then suddenly I found myself unable to carry on, some aspects if the book are TOO descriptive and I am not a huge fan of the horror genre.
It did give me nightmares and I'm still thinking of it 2 weeks after I abandoned it.

Tigerlily's Orchids
Tigerlily's Orchids
by Ruth Rendell
Price: 17.18

2.0 out of 5 stars oh dear, 21 Aug 2010
This review is from: Tigerlily's Orchids (Hardcover)
I consider myself to be one of Ruth Rendells biggest fans. I have read everyone of her books and rate her very highly, so what has gone wrong? I think her last few books have been very mediocre. This novel has her usual excellent characterisation, the main character Stuart Font is a vain, unlovable man who is infuriatingly unrealistic, I failed to begin to understand his thinking and why he is in a relationship with the loathsome claudia. The storyline limps along at a frighteningly slow pace, that come the end I really did not care who the murderer was. Ruth Rendell seems to have gone spectacularly off the boil with this book. Im hoping the latest Wexford novel I have yet to read will restore my faith in her writing.
With so many excellent new novelists around, like Jo Nesbo, I think Ms Rendell will have to raise her game to compete in this over saturated genre.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2010 5:05 PM BST

A Taste for Death
A Taste for Death
by Baroness P. D. James
Price: 7.11

5.0 out of 5 stars p d james at her very best, 17 Dec 2006
This review is from: A Taste for Death (Paperback)
I have always loved p d James books and would rate them very highly. This book has taken her to a new stratoshere in the genre of crime writing. It has a beautiful prosse, well rounded characters and a top class whodunnit. I loved the plotline. How could a top MP and a tramp both end up with their throats cut in a london church? we are drawn into the whys and wherefores from page one and there are fabulous sub plots which touch at the heartstrings, Detective Kate Miskin and her humble upbringing is an example. She has risen from a council high rise flat to become a top detective and still she has her doubts as to where she really fits in to the team inveatigating the double murder. the ending is both poignant and surprising. What more can you ask from a high class whodunnit?