Profile for norwegian foodie > Reviews

Spooning with Rosie
Spooning with Rosie
by Rosie Lovell

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than I originally thought, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Spooning with Rosie (Paperback)
I've had this book for over a year without cooking from it, but lately I've made a meal or four from this little gem, and have quickly realized what I've been missing out on.
It's really fascinating how little money I actually have to spend to end up with ridiculously yummy meals. Instead, I can splurge on one star ingredient. Rosie seems to have a great relationship with her store cupboard essentials, unlike many other cookbook writers with a similar list in their publication. When it comes to cookbooks with a feminine approach, I now more often turn away from Nigella, Sophie Dahl, Gizzi Erskine and other "glamour through food" types, and towards Rosie Lovell because of her ability to write for all kinds of foodies (and genders) - not just the ones who can afford to buy a complete set of ingredients for each recipe from the same book. This book is a great place to start incorporating foodie habits into everyday cooking. It makes good food as part of your lifestyle a tiny bit more achievable. It's like the Leon cookbooks without being all that health conscious.

The book is a particularly fun read because of the quirky hand drawn maps included here and there. They present good taste combinations and suggest a wide range of foods that can help cure hangovers, among other things.

What I miss, and this goes for a lot of cookbooks, is more recipes to feed only a couple. I mean, how many young people (which is clearly the target audience for this book IMO) cook for 4 people most of the time? On the other hand, the recipes in this book are easy to halve.

Some of the recipes: Raspberry Risen Pancakes with Clotted Cream, Pyrenean Duck with Champ, Moroccan Honey Chicken, Pumpkin & Gorgonzola Lasagne, Penne with Creamy Tomato & Tuna, Rhubarb & Whiskey Fool.

Country Living: Simple Country Wisdom: 501 Old-Fashioned Ideas to Simplify Your Life
by Susan Waggoner

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit chaotic, 28 Oct 2012
This book is a great idea, and Susan Waggoner writes in a way that inspires me. However, much of this book contains tips already published in her other book, Classic Household Hints. As a Country Living publication, Simple Country Wisdom lacks the fun vintage images of the former, but is organized in a way that is more inspirational. Both books come off a little chaotic, though. The tips run through page after page with a lot of text, and without the best consistency concerning how the tips are structured, which makes it hard to use as a daily reference book.
Negativity aside, the book contains some nice thoughts on why we should care for our home, and also why we should slow down in our everyday lives.