Profile for happymgee > Reviews

Content by happymgee

happymgee "happymgee" (uk)

Page: 1 | 2
The True INFP (The True Guides to the Personality Types)
The True INFP (The True Guides to the Personality Types)

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, 29 July 2014
An interesting in depth look at INFPs. There wasnt particularly any new information, nothing I didn't know from internet searches but the book does look deeper. As an INFP a lot of this rang true for me especially the section on careers and over all it was a good read.

INFP Personality - Discover Your Gifts And Thrive as The Prince Or Princess: The Ultimate Guide To The INFP Personality Type Including INFP Careers, INFP ... In Your Work, Happiness and Relationships)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much there, 28 July 2014
Honestly there wasn't much in here that you couldn't get from a basic internet search. Easy to read and some nice quotes at the end but that's the best I can say.

Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences
Delusions of Gender: The Real Science Behind Sex Differences

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and reasuring., 18 Aug. 2013
Since working recently for a company that sells books for children all neatly published in lists either for 'girls' (princess, fairies, shopping and pink), or 'boys' (space, transport, animals and science), and having my concerns dismissed because "that's just the way boys and girls are", gender roles and gender stereotypes have been on my mind a lot.

There has been much in the media recently about the male and female brain and resulting assumptions about gender that people seem to take as gospel truth, but have made me uncomfortable and a little sad.

I was worried that my ideas about gender, and my aversion to gender role stereotypes, were wrong and that all this new 'science' was proof of inherent unavoidable differences; but this book has very convincingly shown me that I was right to be skeptical. It's opened my eyes to the importance of skepticism toward anything based on incomplete and not yet fully understood science. It really showed me just how separated by society men and women are, and now that my eyes are opened I've noticed so much more in the media and general life that reinforces traditional presumptions about gender.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, 17 Aug. 2013
This was exactly what I wanted, it's well put together and looks good.

Everyone needs a little bit of magic to carry around with them!

Pride and Prejudice (Collector's Library)
Pride and Prejudice (Collector's Library)
by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 6 May 2006
wow!....Mr Darcy's brilliant! i mean......wow!

Sorry i really love Mr Darcy he's just fantastic!

Anyway even though every one know the story and there's no shocking ending to the story, pride and prejudice is my favourite book of all time. The way the suspense is built up and the climax in the last letter's amazing, and Mr Darcy is defiantly the classic romantic male figure of all time!!!

Comic Relief: Quidditch Through the Ages (Harry Potter's Schoolbooks)
Comic Relief: Quidditch Through the Ages (Harry Potter's Schoolbooks)
by Kennilworthy Whisp

5.0 out of 5 stars I admit it I'm a Potter obsessed maniac !!!, 26 Mar. 2006
Maybe I'm a little too obsessed, I've read and reread and read some more, Ive read all the "theory of.." and "behind..."s, I've read all the quiz books and have found them very easy, I've even been on every rumor page i can find and spread any as many theories that my little brain can come up with.
.....any way i think the point i was going to make was that for die hard potter fans who've brought all the books and everything else they can get there hands on, a book like quidditch through the ages is bliss. It's as clever as the HP books and just gives the story's more history and realism.
for less obsessed fans these comic relief books are just refreshingly clever an innovative and make you want to e-read the book. Any one who's read the books should read them.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3): Adult Edition
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Book 3): Adult Edition
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best!!!, 26 Mar. 2006
In my humble opinion POA is J.K's best so far. I think it's something to do with the characters, i love Sirius and lupin they make the book and the look into Harry's family history and his parents school life is as interesting and exciting as Harry's own.
Although not as long as the later books this is just as clever and sinister but maintains the magic and richness of the first two. What 4,5 and 6 miss in the way of Hogwarts tradition like the Halloween feast, quidditch or Christmas at Hogwarts book three keeps as well as giving us a more complex and shocking story paving the way for future plots and climaxing the expectations and rumors of the whole story line.
The whole books built on suspense and forces you to think and guess at it's conclusion and when you get to the conclusion it's more shocking and exciting than you ever imagined, and any minor part of the story that you did manage to guess leaves you feeling ridicously smug for the est of the day.
Every one should read Harry potter and even those who didn't get blown away by 1 and 2 will by the POA and will have no choice but to buy the entire box set.

Catch-22
Catch-22
by Joseph Heller

5.0 out of 5 stars How can you not love this book?, 26 Mar. 2006
This review is from: Catch-22 (Paperback)
I have to say i wasn't sure how much I'd lie this book when i decided to read it, but i did read it and it's the best best book I've read in years.
The language is blunt and brilliant. Dry, sarcastic and dark at times it's impossible to know weather your supposed to be laughing hysterically or weeping, forcing you into the same confused madness of the characters.
I really do think that everyone should attempt to read it, it's not as long as you think and it's pretty fast pace, the character are unbelievably well developed and all fantastically neurotic my favourite being Major Major who in my opinion should be made president, i know a lot of people say it's a boys book but don't let them put you off i loved it and I'm into ridiculously girly books, its also extremely refreshing to read a war book where instead of heroic men fighting with bravery and without fear, the characters of catch 22 live to escape death and would kill to survive.

The Catcher in the Rye
The Catcher in the Rye
by J. D. Salinger

5.0 out of 5 stars pretty hot, 13 Mar. 2006
This review is from: The Catcher in the Rye (Paperback)
i read this book when i went to New York and it was pretty amazing. Hogan's a brlliant character who although unbalanced you can't help loving. the way nothing happens throughout the story desite the fact it's the wierdest adventure ever is genius.
Every thing about it taps into the mind of all bored teenagers everywhere, Hogan's a hero for achieving the dream of many of us to smply drop out of school and live on your own in the big city.
I still want to know what happens to the ducks in central park when winter comes and wont rest untill i get some awnsers.

The Broken Bridge
The Broken Bridge
by Philip Pullman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars eh, 13 Mar. 2006
The ending where everything of the families past is brought together in one big smack round the face was good,reminiscent of murder mistry novels. As well as the brutal murder of a childhood teddy bear which even though m 18 was scary.
However i found the characters unrealistic espesially the teenagers hwo had no commonsense what so ever between them- even for teenagers!!
Worth a read when there's nothing else but it wont be coming top of any list i write.

Page: 1 | 2