Profile for M. Castle > Reviews

M. Castle (UK)

Body Heat (OST) (2CD)
Body Heat (OST) (2CD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful: which version?, 7 Sep 2014
This review is from: Body Heat (OST) (2CD) (Audio CD)
I concur with others' reviews: this is a truly superb, evocative score ... It's not my favourite score from this Maestro but that takes nothing away from the pure enjoyment it provides and this 2CD release provides everything the score has to offer with album, original score, out-takes and demo's.

But beware: the Amazon listing refers to Joel McNeely and the London Symphony Orchestra. The Varese Sarabande label released a re-recording of the score by these artists some years ago and I highly recommend that, too (well it's wonderful music!) ... but their recordings are not included in this 2CD set from FSM. Look elsewhere if you want the McNeely/LSO recording.

The Very Thought of You
The Very Thought of You
Offered by Discs4all

3.0 out of 5 stars Oooops!, 21 Jan 2012
This review is from: The Very Thought of You (Audio CD)
For the price, this 2CD set is great value but beware: not everything is perfect!

Having lived for years with the catalogue of Mr. Cole's "Greatest Hits" I recently decided to branch out and try some less well-known material. So far ... so good? No! So far ... so superb. There's hardly a song I don't like and some of the material on these two discs is simply "drop-dead gorgeous"! How a song like "In the heart of Jane Doe" cannot be in the mainstream is beyond comprehension and this is just one of many which don't ring any bells with me.

Having bought the set primarily for disc 1 (I love the Gordon Jenkins' sound) I've being playing disc 2 more, partly because of the aforementioned song but also because I've been trying to get to grips with the sound. Warning: I think the sound is only fair to good and I'm sure it should be a great deal better. I'm now considering buying this album as a stand-alone CD.

Even if I'm wrong and this CD has the true sound, I'm certainly not wrong about the track error: track 12 on this second CD is actually track 12 of CD 1 ... repeated! Try the sound clips and you'll hear "Cherchez la Femme" on both albums (they're tracks 12 and 32 on the list of sound clips/downloads). A great shame - Oooops!

James Bond, the Spy I Loved
James Bond, the Spy I Loved
by Christopher Wood

3.0 out of 5 stars Some recollections ... but lacks weight, 18 May 2010
Now I am a big fan of JB007 and have read many associated publications. I'd held off buying this book for a while for no other reason than the films it deals with, The Spy Who Loved Me and Moonraker, are two of my lesser favouites in the long-running series. But when I spotted the book in a linked advertisement a few weeks ago I decided it was worth trying.

For someone so closely involved with the writing of the storylines (certainly the second, since I understand he was one of many who "helped" re-write the former), Mr. Wood shows little attempt at providing much detail. I finished the book knowing virtually nothing new other than a few minor details. Whether this is because Mr. Wood doesn't recall too much or, perhaps, he is constrained by legal agreements about what he can disclose, I am not aware. I would have liked to have read about the process of producing the script, how things are decided upon, how - and why - things are rejected. I'm not suggesting such topics are ignored as Mr. Wood does mention scenes which were removed because of over-runs, or because Mr. Broccoli was in/not in favour; but it is so lightweight that it could be the school play he's discussing, not some multi-million pound film.

The book needs a serious editor review to remove numerous spelling/grammatical errors.

So, a few amusing anecdotes, details of globe-trotting and the odd comment about dialogue on the screen not coming from his pen ... but don't expect a "kiss and tell" exclusive.

Americans
Americans

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant First Class Concept Album, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: Americans (Audio CD)
So you think you know John Barry? Out of Africa, Dances With Wolves, Born Free, Bond ... Think again! Better still, buy this album and listen. I bought the vinyl album back in 1976 and it took a while for the music to win me over because this wasn't the John Barry I knew.

After 30+ years I know the music like the back of my hand but it was a wonderful pleasure to hear it - afresh - in clear CD sound. There are hints of his film scores from that era (e.g. The Man With The Golden Gun and Day Of The Locust) but this is Mr. Barry in free-flow.

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous.

The four bonus tracks from his "Play It Again" sessions are fine but out of place on this album and I recommend you programme them out to play at another time. All excellent ... but not part of "Americans".

Le Cinema De Georges..
Le Cinema De Georges..

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb Compilation of Works by a Superb Composer, 19 Mar 2010
This review is from: Le Cinema De Georges.. (Audio CD)
Covering six discs this collection of works by the late, great M. Delerue is a worthy addition to any soundtrack collector's library. I'm still discovering some of the works and whilst I know a lot of the music there's always something else which I don't.

Some of the tracks suffer from mediocre sound quality but I believe these are the best versions available and I'm pleased the producers didn't reject music just because the sound wasn't perfect.

Too many highlights to mention, I recommend this release highly.

MIKE'S MURDER [Soundtrack]
MIKE'S MURDER [Soundtrack]
Offered by screen_archives_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Obscure Barry score wins out, 19 Mar 2010
I saw the film back in the 1990s and ripped some of the music from a VHS recording. I haven't heard any John Barry music which is not worth owning and whilst Mike's Murder is far from his best/most listenable music it's worth owning. First play, I thought, yes, I know the music - it's okay. Second play ... I was hooked.

Not for the casual listener (and the less than perfect sound quality is a factor) but if you want to hear better than the everyday film score go for the best. This is film music for which you don't need to see the film.

Revisited (4 CD Box Set)
Revisited (4 CD Box Set)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent re-issue - box set, 8 Jan 2010
The material on this four disc box set has been commonly available for many years, though a couple of tracks are new to me and a few others are distinct rarities. Accordingly, for many fans of Mr. John Barry's music the thought may be "Oh no, not another release of the Ember label recordings". But my advice is give this box set some consideration as, in my view, it is an all-round excellent release: sound quality is significantly better (for many, though not all, tracks) than earlier releases I've owned (admittedly I haven't heard all releases of this material), including stereo and mono versions of some of the material; the sleeves and overall packaging are first-rate; the set appears to be a complete collection of Mr. Barry's Ember album releases and includes a few single releases, too. At the price I consider this to be well-worth the purchase.

The Sandbaggers - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
The Sandbaggers - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Lonnen
Offered by 101Trading

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly enjoyable, 19 Nov 2009
Like others, I'd seen the series when originally aired (though probably not all episodes).

We've just completed Series 3 and wish there was a Series 4 to show what happened to the characters. That said, Series 3 is a little uneven: having broadened it out with a greater amount of location filming we felt the stories were less involving. So, in summary: highly enjoyable (well acted by the majority of the cast) if not quite as good as the memory led me to believe. It's somewhat better than Spooks (of which we've just started Series 3 and I'm not inclined to buy Series 4 ... yet).

Particular mention should be made of the theme music by the late, great Roy Budd. Fabulous!

Caution(s): we had to get a replacement disc 2 for Series 1 since the last two episodes would not play. The DVD distributor was first class in dealing with this - well done Network!

And: if you don't know/want to know how Series 3 ends, don't watch the specials to be found on disc 1 in Series 1. SPOILER!

The Wrong Box
The Wrong Box

3.0 out of 5 stars Another wonderful score by Mr. John Barry, 1 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Wrong Box (Audio CD)
An excellent score, albeit far from his best, by John Barry for a film which is a little too hit and miss. Mr. Barry's music is highly melodic, hummable and - as is the norm for his works - so "right" for the film. It is a short album and does not overstay its welcome.

What lets the album down is the sound quality. Without the original master recordings the production label has produced an album which presumably is from a vinyl release. It's good, very good but do not think it compares favourably with modern releases. Accept this and enjoy what is available but don't expect wonderful sound.

4* reduced to 3* because of the sound