Profile for surya > Reviews

PRIMA Non-Stick Dosa Tava / Crepe Pan
PRIMA Non-Stick Dosa Tava / Crepe Pan
Offered by i.Lifeuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good one!, 27 Jun 2014
Works fine for me. I am a novice - so I bought it to give it a go. I did what it meant to do.

Nokia BH-121 Clip-On Bluetooth Stereo Headset with Noise-Blocking In-Ear Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Good headphone., 21 May 2014
Useful sp if you are using the big one! Lumia 1520. Good quality! Earpieces are comfortable. Sound is soothing. Pair easily.

Fosmon® Nokia Lumia 1520 / Nokia Bandit (Japan Material) Crystal Clear HD Screen Protector Shield film (3 Packs) - Fosmon Retail Packaging
Offered by theWireless USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Did not fit!, 21 May 2014
Good strong material,protect the area it covers but it did not fit my screen. Smaller than the lumia 1520 screen!

TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black)
TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Bumper Protective Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 (Black)
Offered by Aplars USA

4.0 out of 5 stars Good cover., 27 April 2014
Looks good. Slight elevation on the edge prevents the flat surface to rub against the screen. Helps the grip. The cover over the buttons prevent the buttons getting pressed easily (problem mentioned by many phone reviewers). I don't know how much it can buffer if the phone drops (not looking forward to test it!) from a height.

Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Nokia Lumia 1520 32GB Sim Free Windows Smartphone - Black
Offered by Gooddeal4you

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good phone!, 27 April 2014
This is my first windows phone. My last 2 phones were an iPhone 4 and a Galaxy S4.

Phone:
Size: It is a big phone. I would always recommend that if anyone planning to buy it, go and have a look at it. If you don't see this model have a look at 1320. However the size is relative. When I moved from iphone to GS4, I thought GS4 is big. After using it for a few days, I felt the GS4 to be actually the right size for a phone and iPhone was too small. Now, after using Lumia 1520 for a few days - I have got used to it and though it appears big it doesn't look out of place. I have used this phone in public and I didn't see anyone really bothered - maybe all of us getting used to the bigger phones. It might not fit into a tight jeans pocket though.

Build quality/screen - The build quality is excellent, the screen is excellent, possibly the best I have used till now. It is responsive, smooth and sensitive. The best thing about the screen is that it is actually usable out in the sun (GS4 is terrible).
In some previous reviews I read that buttons does get pressed very easily as they are located where you would hold the phone (phones left side). I am using Tudia slim protective case and I didn't have any such problem.

Camera: I have used it for a few days only and the picture quality is better than iPhone 4 and GS4. I took a few pictures indoors and in low light and it was impressive. The camera lets you adjust a lot parameters, but if you are mainly a point and shoot person like me then you might have to spend some time to learn its full functionality. I am sure the result will be even better quality of picture as auto mode delivers brilliant picture already. One thing I am missing is an integrated camera app. Nokia provides a number of apps for photography and editing. It would have been much better if they were integrated into one single app.
Overall, I am impressed for now with the auto mode photography.

Software: This phone came with windows mobile 8. In my opinion windows 8 is a nice change from ios and android. Although those two os appear more complete then windows mobile 8. I don't regret moving to WM8 and rather enjoying it, however, I felt that it very much depends on how you use your mobile (my primary use - reading books and documents, camera, making calls, text, listening to music, YouTube, web browsing and very little gaming). The app store is definitely poorer than other 2 us and you may not readily find a lesser known app as easily as on ios/android.

The web browser is good but it struggles to display some websites properly (both desktop and mobile versions). It is not browser specific as it the same for - IE, maxthon and nokia's browser (xpress). Hopefully WM 8.1 will sort it out.

Nokia radio: nice free little app, plays music based on your choice of artist/genre. You cannot choose the song. Spotify is better.

Here map - again very good, but google map is also equally good. It might be better than google but I have to check few more days. In satellite mode google map has better resolution.

Calender: I was not happy with the inbuilt calender as I couldn't read the entries in month view. Sorted it with a 3rd party app.

Social media: people hub is good, get all the notification and address book in one place. Apps are available for major players like -facebook, twitter.

Reading books - its a joy, big screen, easy to read, even outdoors - not missing my kindle.Nokia reader is a good rss feed reader. Kindle is there.

I am still exploring the software part.. So far so good.

Battery life: I expected a better battery life with the huge battery it has and I am not disappointed. It has easily beaten my GS4. It went almost 2 days with moderate use (occasional YouTube, lots of kindle reading, phone, surfing and listening to music. I spent a lot of time on it (a shiny new gadget, how can I leave it lying around?).

Sound: I would say good. I don't have a very good understanding of music as some people do, but to my ears - it was good, loud enough and soothing. The speaker is on its lower back side.

Video: Beautiful, big screen, powerful processor.. what do you expect?

My impression of lumia after using it for 3 days: it is a big mobile phone, but a well built nice phone. The size is relative and we get used to the size by using it and it is not really a problem. It is comparable to some of the best phones out there and in some aspects it is better (battery life, screen). You will be disappointed if you love shopping apps, but it will serve you well if only use apps for a specific use. I am hoping that WM 8.1 would address some beta like features of the present os.

The Immortals of Meluha (The Shiva Trilogy)
The Immortals of Meluha (The Shiva Trilogy)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book, 17 Nov 2013
An excellent experiment with Indian history and mythology. There are some anachronisms and author also tried to write the story in modern peoples language. Once you get used to those it is worth reading.