Profile for TheCrazySquirell > Reviews

Asus Echelon ROG Gamer Headset with Retractable Noise Filtering Microphone
Asus Echelon ROG Gamer Headset with Retractable Noise Filtering Microphone

4.0 out of 5 stars Great headset, awesome sound and good mic, 3 July 2013
Looks/Build:

First impressions were great, has a nice matte/"soft touch" surface that looks and
feels like it's going to stand up to a lot of use along with a nice memory foam
pad for the top of your head and stiff foam earcups (these are great as they will
mould to your head over time and end up way more comfortable than any memory foam
pads)and a nice thick metal band connecting the earcups to the top of the headset.

They also have a nice feeling, thick braided cable with strain relieving rubber
connecting it to the headset and smaller ones for the in-line mic mute and volume
control thingymawut. My only issue with this headset at this point is how far down
the in-line control doohicky is; about 70cm down the cable from the earcup which I
personally would have preferred to be much higher up (about 20-30cm) this said I
will come back to this in the conclusion as it adds another way of using the headset.

The connectors are gold plated and also have stress relieving rubber where they are
joined to the cable. There is also a little thingy just above the connectors that
allows one of the jacks to be inserted into it to keep it safe should you wish to
use only the mic or only the headphones.

Sound:

This headset sounded really, really good compared to the Corsair Vengeance 1300
(keep in mind I use a Xonar DGX sound card so your millage may vary) the overall
sound had a lot more body and good bass with space to push the highs, mids or bass
up a bit in the equalizer (all 3 causes the sound so muddle a little. The main
reason I mention the 1300's is their "audiophile quality" branding which is terribly
misleading while the Echelons have great sound isolation and good coverage of the
entire audio spectrum (maybe struggling a bit at the very high end). bass was my main
surprise with these things because of how clean and powerful it was when turned up
a little and how little it affected the rest of the sound.

The mic is great, it certainly does it's job well considering it's retractable and is
small and unobtrusive. The way the mic is built is also solid (although it has some
movement when fully out which is minor) and sounds good (not as clear as the 1300's
but definitely good enough for VoIP programs. I mean why would you be using a headset
mic if you do anything else?

Conclusion:

Overall I am very pleased with the Echelons and would definitely recommend them over
anything I have used to this date. I mentioned that I would come back to the position
of the in-line controls, this was because of the features on the headset that allows
it to be used as a pair of headphones for your phone/tablet/radio without looking
silly because the in-line controls are low enough not to be on your chest, the mic is
retractable and the unused mic jack can be safely tucked away into the holder I
mentioned in the last paragraph in the looks/build part of my review. Together these
things allow easy and comfortable of these headphones/headset in any conceivable situation.

4 stars out of 5 (actually 4.5 if I could) is due to the slightly lower quality of the
mic compared to the 1300's and the placement of the in-line controls which in my use case
isn't the best. I've been as critical with these as I could but I think they are unbeatable
in value for money (mine cost £53.99) and probably punch well above their weight if
compared to the more expensive headsets.

Trust 17966 Tytan 2.1 Speaker Set - UK Plug
Trust 17966 Tytan 2.1 Speaker Set - UK Plug
Offered by Kikatek

3.0 out of 5 stars Speakers where OK but not as described, 15 Jun 2013
Sound:
The sound from these was ok, they had decent mids, highs had a little to be desired but
the bass was powerful and clean.

Looks:
This is one of the reasons I sent these back, they were not as described, Instead of
having parallel sides mine where 8cm at the top widening to 10cm at the bottom and
because of thise they where actually quite ugly.

The main reason for sending these back was because one of the satellites developed a
hiss after about 2 weeks, but due to the amount of good reviews I think I just had a
faulty set.

Corsair CA-9011111-WW Vengeance 1300 Analog Gaming Headset
Corsair CA-9011111-WW Vengeance 1300 Analog Gaming Headset

3.0 out of 5 stars Was impressed when I got it but over time the little things began to really annoy me., 24 Mar 2013
When I first got these I was impressed with the quality of the mic and the sound coming out of them (I use a Xonar DGX sound card) was really good(ish).

However, I knew that these where a little lacking on bass when I got them which I was fine with... I thought that with a headphone amp and an equalizer I could just raise the levels of the lows, Nope. There is absolutely no body to the sound, it's flat and there is almost no bass.

That said whatever sound coming out of them was clear and well reproduced with the highs and mids being quite good.

My problem with my pair is when I turn the inline volume control down low one of the earcups suddenly goes almost silent. My other problem is the boom mic, while not lacking in quality it was not very adjustable and the mechanism that was responsible for moving the mic up and down began to loosen up after the first 2 weeks and now it gave a bit of give in it which I am worried will get worse as I'm sure they are using plastic inside.

Comfort wise the padding on the earcups is very soft and so is the stuff on the headband, people where saying that they where too tight for them but in my case they where too loose, if I was to move around they would often move or fall off if I tilted my head slightly down.

Overall I give them 4 stars because I have a feeling my unit was faulty and while I personally don't like it that much, for £55 you can't really beat it.

BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor
BenQ GW2450HM 24-inch Full HD LED Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent monitor in every way, 12 Sep 2012
Ordered this after finding out that it used a VA panel and had VGA, DVI and HDMI inputs.

So far I am 100% satisfied, the colours are vibrant, viewing angles are just as described, no backlight bleed, no dead pixels, the monitor itself looks sleek.

I've used it for everything, gaming, photo editing, films and from what I can see the ghosting is very slight (there will be slight ghosting at 5ms no matter what you do on any monitor)

for £131 a 24" VA panel monitor is a bargain.