Profile for Kevin Trebell > Reviews

Content by Kevin Trebell
Top Reviewer Ranking: 484

Kevin Trebell (Cornwall, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Brother Odd
Brother Odd

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd isn't like most people, 19 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Brother Odd (Kindle Edition)
This is the third in the adventures of Odd Thomas, the titular hero who more than lives up to his name. Odd isn't like most people, he sees and communicates with spirits (though they can't speak to him), her is followed around by the ghost of Elvis and he gets a "psychic intuition" that leads to him being drawn in when bad things happen.

This episode sees odd holed up in a monastery trying to get some peace and quiet and recover from the traumas of his last couple of years. Sadly for odd trouble is never far away and his rest is broken by nefarious and dangerous goings on at the heart of the monastery.

I found this to be another fun slice of Odd. It isn't the most gripping but it flows along nicely, the characters are good again and Odd is as compelling as ever. Very much worth a read for fans of the series but start with the first book "Odd Thomas" to get into the character if not.

Epson Compatible T0715 Set of High Yield (19ml) Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow Ink Cartridges
Offered by Value Deal

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work consistently on Epson SX200, 19 Dec. 2014
I tried these a few times and sadly could never get them to work consistently.

My printer would often refuse to use them due to not being authentic.

In the end I'd lose a lot of the ink just from swapping them in an out. I couldn't overly recommend them for that printer, though it seems they work fine for some models.

Assassin's Creed Unity (Xbox One)
Assassin's Creed Unity (Xbox One)

4.0 out of 5 stars A new AC with an impressively packed world, better controls and impressive visuals (post it's latest major patch), 18 Dec. 2014
I've only just got this digitally via download, so am reviewing it based on play since the latest (massive) patch and can't comment on earlier glitchy builds.

The game was a large 40 gig download, imagine my joy though when I then found I had to update it with another 40 gig download before I could play it!! That wasn't an impressive start.

I'm not several hours into the game though and It seems that the patching has done it's job. The game runs smoothly, looks lovely (though a tad "washed out" for me even brightness changes) and controls smoother than previous games. The world Is large, seamless and absolutely packed with NPC's in a way previous systems could never have manage, this helps to give it a real next gen feel (as does the higher res meaning jaggies are far less prevalent giving a nice smooth look).

The game itself is a continuation of the series, once again with the meta idea that you are playing a person who is in the abstergo corporation playing through the genetic memories of others. This memory is set in France against the backdrop of the revolution and introduces a new protagonist called Arno. Once again the age old battle between Templar and Assassin provides the backdrop to the story.

The world is interesting and vibrant, the lead character is likeable and the story does it's job (I think there are too many of these for them to have time to write anything truly ground breaking). Overall it makes for a very fun experience and post patch , especially with some deals that are around now, it's well worth a look.

Xbox One Console with Kinect and Assassin's Creed Unity
Xbox One Console with Kinect and Assassin's Creed Unity
Offered by Level99Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Has improved rapidly, has a great selection of games now and a great deal, 11 Dec. 2014
The Xbox One has now been out for 12 months and we've had two in the house during that time.

I felt it worth a re-review as the product has improved massively in that time in features, in apps and in games.

Firstly the console comes very well packaged. It's not difficult to get into it and start to unpack and set things up but it's very tidily done and provides good protection for the expensive kit within.

One it was all unpacked then plugging it all in was simple. You need to plug in the power supply, plug in the Kinect, plug in the HDMI cable, put batteries in the controller and then press it's home button to fire up the console once switched on.

The controller itself is lovely, it feel solid and very comfortable and has a very nice D-Pad (at last). The one negative is a slightly less comfortable placement of the bumpers. A new feature is haptic feedback providing vibration in the triggers, it has to be played to really get a sense of how well it works in a car game such as Forza, it genuinely adds to the experience.

Set-up does need some time. Initially you will see a green xbox logo: this can take a while so be sure to never switch off the console at this stage, just give it some time and the console will begin the update process. Once the upload begins it will step you through the process of connecting to your network and then downloading and installing the update.

One completed the console powers up. The interface is a Windows 8 style interface and is much tidier than the existing 360 interface. It's also very fast and smooth to navigate. Initially not a lot is installed. You need to download and install the apps you want to use (and there are loads including some essentials such as the Blu Ray player app and CD music player).

The interface itself is an area that has improved significantly. If you have Kinect then navigation is a breeze, simply use your voice to snap apps, to jump between games and apps and to navigate around. It's been excellent since the start and I went from being sceptical to using it all the time. I consider the Kinect an essential part of the experience when using the XB1 as a gaming and entertainment centre.

Since the summer there have been Kinect free bundles for the xbox one , meaning that they could not rely on people using their voice to instantly jump around the system and needed to re-organise. They have done so and it's definitely going in the right direction. The inclusion of the "snap centre", accessed by double clicking the home button, helps you to rapidly snap and switch between your apps and games without Kinect. Holding down home also always takes you home from where a few clicks can take you where you need.

Though there were some good apps at launch , this has improved immensely. The TV app is now fully functional and integrated with the likes of Sky TV, there is full DLNA media streaming available and a big selection of popular apps are there ready for download.

As well as apps of course the console has the added feature of an HDMI in. This allows you to feed an other device with an HDMI out into it but is ideally aimed at TV. This is something I've used all the time. I can jump between games and TV with simple commands and it jumps instantly and very smoothly. I can also use the snap feature (which works as advertised) to snap any app I like to the side of my screen whilst I game. As a sports fan this means I can snap a match into the corner of my screen and keep an eye whilst still playing. I can also jump to full screen as and when I want.

Features like this really come into their own when you experience them. It's a genuine evolution of the console concept, integrating it into the centre of your media experience and i'm very impressed with it.

Finally there are the games. Some of my games such as Forza were downloads. Grabbing these was very simple, you show the QR game code to the Kinect (having gone to the store and said "use code") and it instantly recognises it and allows you to download it. Some of these are pretty huge and take a while on my 25 meg connection.

I've also got some Blu Ray games. Somewhat disappointingly these all have to be installed rather than running from disk (I'm guessing this is to do with the speed difference in loading and streaming from a hard drive rather than a much slower Blu Ray). The installs also take quite a while. This is thankfully mitigated by being able to start playing after a small percentage of the install has completed. This isn't an area they have yet improved and I am hoping it will be a priority now so much has been corrected,

On the games front the system now has a big variety of quality games including some fantastic exclusives such as Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon and the Master Chief collection alongside Unity which comes included in this bundle. They've also made huge strides in improving the games to the point where they are now hitting resolutions and visual fidelity matching their main rival.

Overall I'd say the console has come a very long way in a short time. A year ago I'd have said it was one for the fans but now, with the improvements, games and much better value I'd say it is ready for a much broader audience to jump in.

Zenith: Phase 2
Zenith: Phase 2
by Grant Morrison

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential part of an essential series., 5 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Zenith: Phase 2 (Hardcover)
This second phase of Zenith was the first where the real scope of the series began to be revealed, where the titular "hero" (he's rarely that) gradually found himself part of a much wider multiverse, tough it's still only hinted at in the early stages here, and surrounded by machinations well beyond his understanding or ability.

As said in another review, this felt rather jarring back when it first launched. I'd kind of imagined it to be a series of good old super hero adventures focused around Zenith and yet here the true scope began to be revealed and Zenith's battle with an evil Noel Edmunds impersonator who wants to steal and use his genetic lineage seemed secondary to a wider , as yet unrevealed story.

This is actually a brilliant middle ark, it starts to prepare you for what is to come and ensures the shock isn't too great when the real darkness at the heart of this story is revealed (having read Morrisons "Super Goods" I can't help but think he suspects something like that is really going on in our world).

I'd urge any fan of the first book to read this, stick with it and see how this segues into a truly disturbing multiverse shattering story in later volumes.

This is one of the greatest series I've read. I'd urge comic fans not to miss it.

Turtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 500X Premium Fully Wireless with DTS Headphone:X 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset for Xbox One

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound quality, well featured and comprehensive, impressive., 5 Dec. 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These Ear Force Stealth 500X are the premium headset for the Xbox One offered by Turtle Beach. They are a fully wireless headset, so there is no cable plugging into a controller adapter like most of the XB1 headsets, rather a base unit that plugs into the Xbox One via USB and controls output and input from the headset.

The headset comes heavily packaged with an outer box, full product packaging and an inner plastic tray to protect the headset (it felt a bit like packaging overkill but clearly they are protecting your investment). The package contains the headset, mic attachment (detachable for use when needed), base unit, USB cable for base Unit, USB cable for headset charging (it's good the XB1 has three USB sockets keeping one spare for other use), An optical cable for connecting to your console to get a full optical 7.1 signal to the base unit (nice touch as I've often found optical cables have to be purchased separately) and also a 3.5 MM stereo cable for connection to mobile devices and the like.

Setting it up was a Breeze, the instructions explain clearly where to connect things , how to pair the set and base unit and how to charge. Once it is all paired up you are ready to go.

The headset has buttons for: power, mic mute, chat volume, game volume and also buttons for setting the surround sound mode and pre-sets and also an input for a wired connection via a 3.5mm cable and a micro USB input for charging.

The surrounds sound and pre-set buttons allow you to change the audio balance according to the type of source you are listening to. There are four surround sound modes: Game, Movie, Music and Surround Off and each has a range of pre-sets relevant to that type of sound.

As mentioned the base unit takes an optical connection but a really nice touch is it also has an optical out , meaning it will relay the optical connection. This is ideal for me as my XB1 was connected to an amp and I did not want to lose this connection or be plugging and unplugging it all the time depending on whether I was using amp or headset. This relay is perfect as it means I get both at the same time.

The sound quality itself is fantastic. I've tried the movie and game modes in particular where I have 7.1 sources and you really can hear every detail. In games it is fantastic to hear and pinpoint every footstep and voice spatially in a way that isn't even really possible with a normal amp as they are as close to your ears. In a movie it is wonderful to hear sound details that often go completely unnoticed.

Mic quality is also good, game chat is crystal clear and there is also a monitor function allowing you to hear yourself so you don't feel the need to speak loudly to hear yourself.

The headset is also comfortable to wear and adjustable. I would say the cup is fairly small, perfect for me but worth trying first for someone with a bigger ear. Perhaps the one small point against these is that they don't feel quite as comfortable as the X07's that I have been using (which have a soft plastic cup rather than the material in these and is a bit software and more snug as a result). The sound quality feels even sharper than the XO7's though so this wouldn't stop me using them.

Overall these are a high quality well featured and impressive headset. Turtle Beach are known for quality and, for me, they deliver again here.

LG 42LB580V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart TV with Freeview HD
LG 42LB580V 42-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Wi-Fi Smart TV with Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Great picture quality, well featured and a good range of apps available via smart TV functions, 4 Dec. 2014
I've been looking to get a TV to replace my 32" at home for some time. I wanted a reasonable balance of quality and price rather than splurging money on very top end kit. After looking at lots of reviews and looking at options I settled on this one, especially at the price it's available at.

The TV itself comes well packaged and protected without excess, always nice. Setting it up was a doddle. I have installed it on its base rather than using a wall attachment and it feels very solid and stable. I then connected up my various devices via HDMI, my antenna and also one of my satellite LNB inputs (as I was surprised to find this includes a satellite input, though it doesn't include the freesat EPG). I also plugged in an Ethernet cable to give a wired connection but wifi is also an option. I have tested it on both and results were great (and the wifi is available dual band so both the 2.4 and 5 ghz ranges.. something even the ps4 doesn't do so very impressive).

Once turned on the TV went through a very easy set-up process and was able to get it all up and running, connected to my network, tuned in and working very quickly.

The quality of the picture really is impressive. I decided to get some advice from the "picture perfect" part of AV forums (https://www.avforums.com/PicturePerfect/) and set it to theatre mode and then tweaked from there. I very quickly had something that looked very nice with TV, game and Blu Ray sources. For me the picture is very impressive, the additional size along with a quality screen makes it really stand out (especially as I sit only 5.5 feet from it).

Something that was important to me was to ensure the screen didn't have noted motion blur issues and I'm pleased to say this one delivers as I'd hoped and to my eyes is very smooth.

Sound, as normal with a slim TV, is not that impressive but I have connected mine up to an amp and it makes a massive difference. I do think an amp or Soundbar is pretty essential if you are aiming for a cinematic experience. Poor sound, and being restricted to 2.1 sound would limit the experience. This is normal for slim TV's though and not something I'd mark against at all.

App selection is fine, major apps such as iplayer, Netflix, amazon etc are included.. I tend to use all of mine via my xbox or ps4 but this is now a quick and easy way to get to them without the power drain of those devices when they aren't already on. I've tested the amazon and iplayer apps and the output is great, no problems at all.

The TV also has built in DLNA, so it can browse and play media directly from your home PC's. You browse to these devices as inputs from the input menu of the TV and then browsing the content is very easy. The TV tells you to install LG's own smartshare software but I didn't and it still worked fine via DLNA as I had sharing turned on on my PC's.

One other bonus is that this TV comes with a built in feature called "Time Machine 2", that allows you to plug in USB storage and use it as a PVR. I have plugged in a USB 2 320 GB WD passport and it gives me 30 hours of recording in HD, more than enough and an excellent feature (and a great opportunity not to need to pay subscriber channels for their PVR function when they aren't showing programs I like). Smart TV, PVR functions and an LNB input certainly make it a serious option for cable cutters.

Overall I am really pleased with this. It looks great, is easy to use and is a big impressive upgrade from smaller TV's and is very fairly priced (I bought a new phone for more money recently, which is crazy when I think of the materials in these tellies). Delighted.

Xbox One Console with Halo: The Master Chief Collection
Xbox One Console with Halo: The Master Chief Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars A hugely improved experience in its first 12 months, 28 Nov. 2014

One it was all unpacked then plugging it all in was simple. You need to plug in the power supply, plug in the Kinect (you don't have to do plug this but it's a massive improvement over the previous iteration of Kinect and adds greatly to the experience of the console, plug in the HDMI cable, put batteries in the controller and then press it's home button to fire up the console once switched on.

The interface itself is an area that has improved significantly. Since the summer there have been Kinect free bundles for the xbox one such as this, meaning that they could not rely on people using their voice to instantly jump around the system and needed to re-organise. They have done so and it's definitely going in the right direction. The inclusion of the "snap centre", accessed by double clicking the home button, helps you to rapidly snap and switch between your apps and games without Kinect. Holding down home also always takes you home from where a few clicks can take you where you need.

On the games front the system now has a big variety of quality games including some fantastic exclusives such as Sunset Overdrive, Forza Horizon and the Master Chief collection. They've also made huge strides in improving the games to the point where they are now hitting resolutions and visual fidelity matching their main rival.

Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U)
Nintendo Wii U 32GB Premium Pack with Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo Wii U)
Offered by TODO! TODO!

5.0 out of 5 stars Has some of the very best games available, 28 Nov. 2014
The WiiU is the latest offering from Nintendo. This is Nintendo's first HD console and their successor to the Wii.

Like the Wii did, this console comes with something new and in this case it is the included Gamepad. This is both a gamepad and a touch sensitive screen (like a DS but much bigger screen). This can be used to run any of the WiiU menu functions like it's Browser, shop, the Miiverse (a kind of online social networking bulletin board) and other apps such as Lovefilm and Netflix either on the TV or on the pad itself.

This pad adds some genuine innovation and can be used by developers in a couple of ways. They can either use it for off TV play, so you can switch your entire game to the pad and let someone else use the telly (helpful in busy houses fighting over the main telly) or as a second screen to provide additional functionality (as in ZombiU where you control various aspects with it and can use it for such things as zooming down the screen).

The WiiU itself is said to be somewhere around the power of the 360 and PS3 in some ways, a little behind them in some ways and also ahead of them in some ways. Principally it has a slower CPU (who's design ensures full compatibility with the Wii and it's entire games collection, a better GPU (a GPGPU which can also take on some work to compensate for that slower CPU) and a lot more RAM (2 GB instead of 512mb).

Overall after two years my experience has been overwhelmingly positive.. The console feels genuinely fresh and In the end it comes down to the games and this is where it truly shines: it's the only place you can get the likes of Super Mario 3d World, Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8. In terms of games it is magic.

I have however found a few small issues. I've found slow download (on a 25 mb connection) and install times. I've also found the range of the Gamepad is fairly poor. I live in a solid Bungalow and this thing struggles to get it's signal through my walls, limiting me to the room it is in and hall outside. I was also annoyed to find no optical out so I cannot output the sound from this to my amp. Oh and it's an utter dust magnet which makes me wish they had gone for a matt rather than shiny finish.

Given the price, the games, the fun gamepad feature and the sheer amount of polish and quality you know Nintendo will always deliver in their exclusives, the Wiiu is an essential purchase for gamers.

I love it. Try it and you might well too.

Xbox One Console - Gamer Pack
Xbox One Console - Gamer Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars A vastly improved experience in its first 12 months, 28 Nov. 2014

One it was all unpacked then plugging it all in was simple. You need to plug in the power supply, plug in the Kinect if you have one (you don't have to have this but it's a massive improvement over the previous iteration of Kinect and adds greatly to the experience of the console, plug in the HDMI cable, put batteries in the controller and then press it's home button to fire up the console once switched on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20