ARRAY(0xba673cd8)

Profile for Mr. Matthew C. Edwards > Reviews

Content by Mr. Matthew C....

Mr. Matthew C. Edwards "matt.edwards" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Good Food Magazine
Good Food Magazine
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Crashes when adding bookmarks, 31 Mar 2014
This review is from: Good Food Magazine (App)
Was willing to give this ago but it's hopelessly buggy and crashes when adding bookmarks to issues.
It also seems quite expensive for what it is.

Harold Macmillan
Harold Macmillan
by Lord Charles Williams
Price: 20.17

3.0 out of 5 stars Overall a mixed bag, 28 Sep 2009
This review is from: Harold Macmillan (Hardcover)
In terms of readability this book is a true example of the style in which to write any good biography. It is easy to read, well presented but crucially still manages to get facts across in a usable way.

The content however is were I take issue. I feel he is too harsh with his criticisms of Macmillan particularly dealing with many of his personality 'defects'. The overall tone, particularly towards the end of the book, bordered on being unpleasant. For example, the overall feel I got when reading the (too) concise outline of Macmillan's time as Earl of Stockton was that he was an old man who's time had gone. To be frank, William's appears to, as is customary for post-1979 politicians to do, look down on what Macmillan stood for, one-nation Toryism and consensus politics. I sincerely disagree with many of the conclusions that Williams reaches and I don't feel that he is completely impartial when dealing with Macmillan.

This book is by no means not worth reading, there are anecdotes and insight that are missing from more comprehensive works (even from Alistair Horne's rather comprehensive authorised biography). I don't think Williams has done anywhere near as good a job as Horne did on getting to know the subject, then again, I don't think many people could.

To be honest I am very disappointed with this and am looking forward to D.R. Thorpe's biography. Supermac: The Life of Harold Macmillan

From The Inside
From The Inside
Price: 5.78

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Mental Hospital Concept Album You Can Buy!!, 4 Nov 2004
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
When I bought this album, this was my second Alice Cooper Album, (The first being Dragontown) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'd heard "How You Gonna See Me Now" and "From The Inside" on Mascara & Monsters; The Best Of Alice Cooper, and they were two of my favourites. This probally was the main driving force behind me buying this album. I am very glad that I did because it is one of my favourite CDs that I own (plus its reasonably cheap for a CD - so you get outstanding value for money).
Heres just a brief backround on the circumstances behind the writing of this album. In the late 70s Alice had an alcohol adiction and admitted himself into a mental hospital to try and beat the addiction. Upon leaving he wrote this masterpiece based upon his experiences. Its hard to believe that such a hard experience led to such a witty and on the whole funny album.
Its really hard for me to say what my favourite song is because the songs are all great with outstanding and funny lyrics. "The Quiet Room" is chilling and is probally my favourite, but other highlights include "Millie & Billie", "I Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills" and "From The inside".
To truely describe the album it would be best to go through each song one by one so here goes:
1. From The Inside - Excellent opener. Sets the scene of Alice waking up to find himself in a mental home. Upbeat rocky track. *****
2. Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills - Opening similar to "Under My Wheels". Hilarious lyrics. Bop my head to this almost every time *****
3. The Quiet Room - Slower Ballad Track. Lyrics witty but not funny. Powerful lyrics and an album highlight *****
4. Nurse Rozetta - Hillarious and vile track about a priest infatuated with a nurse!!! *****
5. Millie & Billie - Sounds like a "light romantic pop" duet the lyrics take a dark and sinister turn. Another album highlight *****
6. Serious - Another rocky track with the harsh vocals and witty lyrics Alice does so well. Nothing special though ****
7. How You Gonna See Me Now - Romantic track based on a letter Alice wrote to his wife during his stay in a mental hospital. Another album highlight! *****
8. For Veronica's Sake - Lighter and slower than "Serious" but has the same harsh vocals and witty lyrics! ****
9. Jacknife Johnny - This, in my opinion is a weaker version of How You Gonna See Me Now! Nothing Special ****
10. Inmates (We're All Crazy) - Amazing album closer! A summary of the album with witty lyrics. The album goes out on such a high! *****
Its strange to think this album is only 39 minuites long because it is so enjoyable it seems to take a lot longer! One reason for that maybee because I play most tracks twice!! I would recommened this album to all Alice Fans, who don't have it or to those curious about his music. Its hard to compare this album to anything I've ever heard so I can't say if you like certain bands then you'll like this.

Way Beyond Blue
Way Beyond Blue
Price: 5.72

5.0 out of 5 stars My Chill Out Album., 21 Jun 2004
This review is from: Way Beyond Blue (Audio CD)
I love Catatonia and I love this album. This is my chill out album as it never fails to relax me. My parents say this album is depressing but they have no taste :-D.
When this was released Catatonia were an average Indie Underground band with 3 failed singles. This album all though not a commercial sucess is one of there best albums (even tho there are only 4!)
Highlights of the album - well they would have to be Painful and Bleed. They are amazing. Low points the 5min + gap between Way Beyond Blue and the bonus track!
BUY IT NOW!!!!

Bleed [CD 1]
Bleed [CD 1]
Offered by actionrecords
Price: 2.00

5.0 out of 5 stars True Class!, 11 Jun 2004
This review is from: Bleed [CD 1] (Audio CD)
This is my favourite single from Catatonia's first album, Way Beyond Blue and also contains live versions of Painfull and Way Beyond Blue!.
This version is not limited edition and comes in a cardboard wallet. If you purchase the second disk too, which i recommend, you can keep this disk in the gatefold folder.
The song itself is very rocky. There are also two live tracks are also class.
BUY THIS NOW!

Bleed [CD 2]
Bleed [CD 2]
Offered by actionrecords
Price: 3.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Class Song!, 11 Jun 2004
This review is from: Bleed [CD 2] (Audio CD)
This is my favourite single from Catatonia's first album, Way Beyond Blue and also contains the live version of my second favourite B-side, Do You Believe In Me!.
This Cd is a limited edition with only 6000 ever made and comes in a very snazy gatefold wallet (with space for Disk 1 is you have it).
The song itself is very rocky and is a slightly different version to the one on the album. There are also two live tracks are also class.
BUY THIS NOW!

Scary Monsters
Scary Monsters
Offered by westworld-
Price: 7.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes me wish i was born 20 years earlier, 23 May 2004
This review is from: Scary Monsters (Audio CD)
Im only 16 an i've recently discovered the music of David Bowie so I bought the Best Of Bowie Compilation. On the Best of Bowie compilation i found 3 songs on it that i played over and over again, Ashes To Ashes, Scary Monsters & Fashion. So I bought the album Scary Monsters, were these three songs come from.
This album is a true classic and i'm really happy that i bought it. Its hardly been off since i bought it. But what can I say about the album that hasnt been sed in 1980. Well nothing. Im gonna judge this album as if it came out now. Actually i can't do that because its so 1980s so ignore what I just sed.
This album still is cutting edge now as it probaly was then. My favourite songs off the album are the title track, Scary Monsters, It's No Game(Both Parts) and Up the Hill Backwards, but I love all the songs of this album. Its also encouraged me to want to buy Diamond Dogs and Hunky Dory. So I will be buying them when i save up. My only complaint about this album is that it is too short. But because he was releasing new CDs nearly every year, I understand why its so short.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2009 6:08 PM BST

International Velvet
International Velvet
Offered by Giant Entertainment
Price: 6.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Catatonia's Finest Moment, 3 May 2004
This review is from: International Velvet (Audio CD)
Since I was 10, I remember seeing this album and wanting to buy it, however not having enough money when I was 10 and having a short memory span I never got round to it. However six years later I've finnaly got round to buying it.
I love Catatonia, there my favourite band and all there music rocks, but this is probally there best album and also contains my favourite single, "Strange Glue" and the single that introduced me to Catatonia, "Road Rage". Yet all of the tracks oN this album are amazing, there isnt a low point for me - although I do skip "Mulder & Skully" sometimes having heard it so much.Despite this this album is probally my favourite Catatonia album, and perhaps my favourite all time album.
The only problem I have with this album is the fact its way to short at 45min. "Thats All Folks" (off the Strange Glue Single) would have been very appropriate final song, yet alas its not.
HIGHPOINTS = "Strange Glue" & "My Selfish Gene"
LOWPOINTS = None.

Carrie (Special Edition) [DVD] [1976]
Carrie (Special Edition) [DVD] [1976]
Dvd ~ Sissy Spacek
Offered by Leisurezone
Price: 6.61

5.0 out of 5 stars A tremendously powerful film., 17 Jan 2004
I was looking through my TV guide for something to watch and this film automatically stood out to me. When i told my mum I was going to watch it she recommended it to me, which really surprised me because my mum is not usually a horror movie fan. I am so glad that I did notice this film because it is one of the best films ive seen recently, which considering the films i have watched recently, (One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, LA Confidential, The Shining and other reknown films) is a really amazing feat. Well it may not be as good as One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but what is? I dont think that it is fair to compare carrie to anything outside of the horror genre so I will say it is up there in the top three horror films I have seen. To sum up that paragraph , VERY VERY VERY GOOD!!!
With regards to the film itself, I was unsure how to feel towards the main character, but ultimately I felt a great deal of sympathy for her. Sissy Spacek's portrayl of the naive and bullied Carrie is truely amazing, and considering she got an oscar nomination for it it proves how remarkable it was, as horror films tend not to be acknowledge by the Academy. This film left me with a great deal to think about and left me feeling tremendously sorry for Carrie and her eventual victims.
The final scenes in this film however are what set it apart from other films. Usually horror films tend to have violence for the majority of the way through, but in this film the beginning is very quiet in terms of violence/horror and until the last 20 or so minuites could be from a film in the drama genre. The contrast is stark and disturbing. The effects are remarkable and considering the age of the film are still very powerful images. The film is worth buying for the ending alone, it is that damned good.
To sum up this entire blabbering on by me, if you like horror films are psycological films, like me, BY THIS FILM NOW.

Eddie Izzard: Live - Sexie [DVD] [2003]
Eddie Izzard: Live - Sexie [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Eddie Izzard
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not His Best But Still Better Than Most, 28 Dec 2003
I was reading the other reviews for this product and I was hounestly quite shocked at how bad some of them were. Although this is not his best work, (actually an understatement as it is probally his worst, that I have seen), it is still a cut above your average comedian.
I would not recommend this to people who have never seen Eddie's stand up before, to them I would recommend Dressed To Kill or Definitive Article, but this is a good DVD to watch if you have seen him a few times.
Eddie is an amazing preformer and any material of his is worth watching.

Page: 1 | 2