Profile for J Elliot Goddard > Reviews

Content by J Elliot Goddard

J Elliot Goddard (Cambridgeshire, UK)

Get Started In Hindi Book/CD Pack: Teach Yourself
Get Started In Hindi Book/CD Pack: Teach Yourself
by Rupert Snell

3.0 out of 5 stars Problem with cd, 18 Nov 2012
Just received this, everything's fine except that I can't rip the cd onto my computer - it says the file has been moved or deleted. I wanted to use it on my iPod and it's going to be pretty annoying to have spent the money on the audio if I can only use it to 'play' in my PC. Has anyone else had this problem with the file access on the cds?
Also I noticed that this is the old version on the cd, simply remarketed: it's still called 'Teach Yourself Beginner's Hindi' rather than 'Get Started in Hindi'. I don't care about this, I just want to be able to use my cd!

Any light anyone can shed is much appreciated. :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 24, 2013 11:41 PM BST

The Rough Guide to Kenya (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
The Rough Guide to Kenya (Rough Guide Travel Guides)
by Richard Trillo

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good general guide, 18 Mar 2011
I took the Rough Guide with me when I arrived in Nairobi not long after my graduation, rather poor, with a heavy backpack and a lot of excitement & enthusiasm. The Rough Guide was my guiding light when I was lost or stuck and didn't know where to go or how to get there... it helped me plan my itinerary completely independently and gave me a lot of knowledge that I then passed on to other travellers I met along the way. Without this Rough Guide I would not have been able to travel across Kenya using the cheapest public transport, from bicycle taxis in Busia on the Ugandan border to dolphin watching off the island of Wasini on the southern coast.

There are quite a few inaccuracies in the text itself, most of the prices are wildly wrong (as has been commented on before in Rough Guides) - taxis in Nairobi will always charge you the 'Mzungu' price, which is a lot higher than the fares quoted in the book, whereas snorkelling boat trips at Diani should not be as highly priced as suggested, you will be able to get them easily on the beach for at least half the price. Personally I would advise against buying these boat trips at all - you can swim out to the reef yourself and most of the way is shallow and safe. Go at low tide when the reef is more exposed and there is a shorter distance to swim across anyway. You can rest on the sandbar beside the reef once you get there.
Perhaps the most useful thing I learnt in Nairobi is that the traders in the Maasai market will trade virtually anything for their souvenirs; if you have run out of money or don't want to be ripped off, they will trade small things for just a bottle of water. The bookshop on Moi Avenue is very good - Book Point. Overall the Rough Guide was extremely handy, and though inaccurate in places (much of Kericho is inaccurate - items on the map put things in the wrong place, which is annoying and troublesome if you are using them as markers when walking about, and restaurants and hotels that have shut down or disappeared are still mentioned in the guide), but it was better informed on the whole than the LP Guide to East Africa that I used at the same time.

I can't wait to get my next Rough Guide and plan my next adventure!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 5, 2011 7:08 PM BST

Alien Nations
Alien Nations
Offered by Satsumo

5.0 out of 5 stars Alien Nations, 5 Sep 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Alien Nations (Video Game)
I too noticed the money bug and the save game bug. The Game Save one only happened on my windowsME so I think you could be right that it's just an ME problem. To the reviewer who said it decreased the fun in replaying because the never-ending game doesnt vary - i found it loads of fun replaying, because you can choose different size worlds which influence how fast or slow your nation comes into contact with the others. Plus you can do other things, such as build cities in different starting places, and trying to play different ways to see how fast you can do it, e.g. by focussing on making an army of hunters right away, you can eradicate one of the other nations at a primitive stage. I always leave the other species so that I can keep playing the game (it finishes when you win). I love setting to high research, then building small and large outposts everywhere to defend my cities.

My brother and I found a way to deal with the money/ debt bug. I never found trading worked very well, personally, and until I found the way I describe below I kept getting into the red financially.
The way to do it is to build 'feeder' cities. Poach all the unemployed workers from their houses without developing the city beyond a couple of houses and a school. These will respawn after a short time, giving you more workers to poach later on. You select a group of workers from the feeder city and send them to the school in your main city. When they come out of the school, they will belong to THAT city, not the old city. (This is when workers in the feeder city will start to respawn.) For every worker you get a certain amount of money, e.g $5. All you need to do, is balance your finances so that you always have more workers giving income than buildings draining income, and hey presto - a positive economy!

This trick will exaggerate your population so that demands are higher, eg for chocolate cake, but I find you can safely ignore these for a long time, just get a police station and keep those workers busy! :P You can have several, underdeveloped feeder cities surrounding your developed ones in order to provide more and more workers (and their income through tax). Don't build any more houses in your main cities... just use the population increase from the feeders.

Hope this helps you enjoy the game more without getting stuck by that annoying debt bug :)