ARRAY(0x9de93408)

Profile for R. D. Parkinson > Reviews

Content by R. D. Parkinson

R. D. Parkinson "Rog" (Stamford)

Page: 1 | 2
Lg Nb3520A Sound Bar
Lg Nb3520A Sound Bar

4.0 out of 5 stars LG NB3520a Soundbar, 25 Mar 2013
This review is from: Lg Nb3520A Sound Bar (Electronics)
Bought this yesterday , not from Amazon but from a major UK high street retailer who I hope does pay tax! ( Think they have a computer store too).Buy your C*****S vouchers at Morrisons to get your petrol vouchers and it presently costs under 170 for a brand new one .
I'm not a sound buff so went by the reviews on here, Which and what Hi Fi ( all excellent )before buying ,to be honest I didn't even know if I wanted one . Thought the sound from my LG 42LS570T was fine ,how wrong I was .
Practicalities, its a metre long (about an inch wider than my 42 inch tele) and though the tele and soundbar are both LG the bar doesn't fit over the tele stand (if you have the tele on a unit ). No problem if you wall mount but if your tele sits on a tv unit think where the metre long unit will go . No problem with the sub woofer ,its blue tooth so will go anywhere.
Once you've sorted out where to place it no probs with setting up. Blue tooth easy My Nexus pad set itself up so just press play on your tablet (and I presume I phone ,tablet etc ) and it plays via Bluetooth with full clarity using as many of the 300 watts as you care to use . I know this may be stating the bleeding obvious to some technophiles but to us technophobes ,although I knew it was possible ,I didn't realise how easy the set up would be .
Unlike other reviewers I haven't got a 10000 hi fi as my main system so I can only guide you to the reviews in my earlier comments .Suffice the unit is by the tele in a 6 metre by 4 metre room and about 20% volume is plenty for films ,maybe 50-60 % for music if you like it loud .Tried it at full wack windows stayed in -but you'd have to be chronically deaf or maybe just young to want it that loud. As other reviewers have noted the surround sound (using the 3D mode) is not as good as having speakers all round you but it does make a decent job of it. Still got to play with the other functions it has but dead chuffed with it so far . I wouldn't pay the 260 sellers are charging on Amazon ,maybe not even the 150 for a refurbished item but I don't think you could get better quality and functionality for 170 ish for a brand new item from a British retailer who pays UK Taxes

Vax V-026RD Rapide Deluxe Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Vax V-026RD Rapide Deluxe Upright Carpet and Upholstery Washer
Price: 103.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Vax V-026RD, 19 Jan 2013
Not used it seriously yet ,but bought from a competitor - similar price (if it was rubbish could take it back no hassle).Cant understand reviewers who had assembly problems ! -if you can read and, tie your own shoelaces you can do it in 5 mins -4 screws ,how difficult is that ! Cleaning solutions ,quite expensive retail ,but reasonable on Amazon . At RRP maybe not a bargain but at current prices (about half RRP) a must buy to clean and freshen your carpets and the smell of your home. It also comes with a manufacturers 2 year guarantee so dont bother buying extended warranty. All in all a good buy at half RRP and dont believe the Numptys who reckon its hard to assemble.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Just bought one- the 32Gb version, 16 Nov 2012
Just bought one (the 32Gb version jellybean 4.2) so cannot give a full review yet,just a few initial observations .Lovely piece of kit ,only potential worry is that it charges via the mini usb connector .Might be ok and I dare say they've tested it to destruction but how long will it last ? .Dont get me wrong theres nothing flimsy or wobbly about it but I just wonder ,plugging it in every day or two ! but maybe I'm worrying about nothing ,it'd be interesting to know if longer term users have had any issues. Now the price ! vendors on amazon are having a laugh ! 199 at Currys for the 32 GB model . If you buy it with the nice leather case its 218.99 (10 off the case ) and you get 20 cashback !. Buy 220 worth of currys gift cards from morrisons (to pay for it) and get 22p a litre off petrol to boot (worth 10 -15 depending on the size of your tank). It does work ,done it twice now ,on a 320 laptop from PC World and on this from Currys . I suppose you could say this 32 GB Asus Nexus 7 with the latest Jelly bean 4.2 OS cost me 165 . Amazon sellers please note

ETC Alloy Ajustable Propstand (16"-26" Wheels)
ETC Alloy Ajustable Propstand (16"-26" Wheels)
Price: 5.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems great for me, 2 July 2012
Only just fitted and passed the gear cable,just! (Halfords Carrera ) which uses same aperture ,but all fine . Does the job (stands the bike up when nothing to lean it on ) .Maybe doesnt add to the bikes sporty looks but then when you've already got a fat bum gel saddle and rear rack on who cares ,it works, its light its practical and looks like it'll stand the test of time,cant moan at the price .Delivery just a couple of days .

Zefal Mirror Cyclop
Zefal Mirror Cyclop
Price: 12.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mirror, 2 July 2012
This review is from: Zefal Cyclop Mirror (Sports)
Having a motorbike ,always missed the mirror when cyling ,becomes instinctive . Read a lot of bad reviews about bar end mirrors-lots of wobbles ,cant see for the vibration etc . Well this ones a winner for me,no wobbles, clear view of whats behind and seems fairly robust .Folds flat to the bar end if you want to prop the bike up.
Just cut a hole in handlebar grip end using knife and nail scissors no need to cut whole end off ,shoved it in tightened it up job done . Buy one saves your neck muscles no end .

Lifemax Cholesterol Monitoring System
Lifemax Cholesterol Monitoring System
Offered by ADTUK Ltd
Price: 77.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A Potentially life enhancing machine -Superb, 31 Dec 2011
Bought this little machine from Coop xest (under 40) [...] not from those advertised on amazon .But as it was a link on amazon to the coopxest site I suppose its fair to review it here. Came with 15 test strips and 10 lancets and the automatic impaler ! much easier to prick yourself when you just have to push a button (by the way not in the least painful).
I can only think previous reviewers did not read the instructions ,we did , and for me and my partner obtained readings that were as expected (pretty accurate) and we are confident this machine will enable us to monitor our cholestrol levels fairly accurately.
For the morons who obviously did not read the instuctions a simplified way
1) Fit batteries (supplied)
2) Place test strip in tiny slot at very top of machine (not the large slot at back of machine) -get ok on screen.
3) Place code plug (which comes with each batch of test strips into large slot at back of machine (it will only go in one way .
4) Place real test strip in the tiny slot at top of machine and bleed onto it until beep is heard -wait 150 secs then ,for us at least .a very accurate reading is displayed .

The only problem is getting the blood. Stressed me no end getting it from my partner ,ok with myself. Might just be us but side of the finger didnt work very well,the pad of the fingertip for us worked better.You do need a good blob of blood (grain of rice size) for the machine to work . Took us ages but once we realised we needed a decent sized blob it was fine . The test strips are expensive (about 2.50 each) but the lancets arent . I would suggest that before applyng your blood to the (expensive strip) you practise getting a decent sized blob first.
The machine is superb and accurate,getting the blood can be difficult,just needs a bit of practise .
In all a great bit of kit ,but maybe one that those that arent good at reading instructions shouldnt be allowed to review.
At less than 40 it has been a life changing purchase,not sure the best deal on this machine is on amazon ,but it does what it says.I would recommend it .

Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)
Norton 360 v5.0, 1 User, 3 PCs 1 Year Subscription (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheaper than the Manufacturers Update, 20 Nov 2011
Have used Norton for many years despite its reputation for slowing computers ,which is probably true,it has so far kept my computers safe from "nasties". At about half the price of the manufacturers on line renewal it has to be a bargain. Only thing to note is that it starts your year from the time you enter the product code ,not from the time your current subscription runs out .I would recommend this to buy but dont enter the code until your current versions subscription is due to expire .

Campingaz Camping Chef Stove
Campingaz Camping Chef Stove
Price: 52.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stove ,great price, 7 Oct 2010
Great little cooker ,only shame is theres no piezo ignition ,so dont forget lighter or matches ,not a problem for me ,sadly a smoker! Grill fine ,does toast in no time ,didnt need to put grill pan on a brick as another reviewer stated (maybe they had a faulty regulator). Dont forget you'll need a calor or camping gaz cylinder ,I'd suggest a small one (4.5 or 7.5 kg) as it doesnt use much . Apparently calor is easier to source and cheaper .Loads of empty bottles going on ebay for 3 or 4 quid ,just find one locally and exchange it for a full one for the cost of the gas.Remember you only need a small one . Best price I could find especially with Amazon free postage ,well chuffed despite the lack of piezo ignition.

Gelert Kitchen Stand - French Navy/Grey
Gelert Kitchen Stand - French Navy/Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Camping kitchen, 7 Oct 2010
Well pleased,looked at lots of camping kitchen stands ,this looked the best value and functionality and I,m more than satisfied.Collapses flat and packs into the carry bag (supplied) with the larder still attached . Very useful full zip round larder section , plenty of prep space ,space for pots and pans and of course the cooker (ours a camping gaz chef 2x burners +grill )fits nicely within the windshield . Cant fault it for value ruggedness and functionality.The feet do adjust to help keep it level.Unbeatable at the Amazon price with free delivery.

Soul Book
Soul Book
Price: 3.00

5.0 out of 5 stars The master can do no wrong, 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Soul Book (Audio CD)
Loved it ,but then again I've loved all Rods stuff for 40 years (am I really that old!) .You wouldnt expect a duff album from Rod and you wont get one

Page: 1 | 2