Profile for Stuart Clarke > Reviews

Content by Stuart Clarke

Stuart Clarke (West Yorkshire)

London Calling (Inspector Carlyle 1)
London Calling (Inspector Carlyle 1)
by James Craig
Price: 5.24

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointing, 8 Feb 2012
I read this after looking at the you tube video by the author about the creation of the characters and the location.

I started reading and initially enjoyed it, the descriptions of places seemed good, although there were bizzarre little sub histories of places that I am not convinced are entirely accurate, especially as the main location of the story, Charring Cross Police Station makes no reference to the original use of the building.

There is confusion of the Police structure to the point where I was left wondering about the research of the author.

The sexual scenes are somewhat over indulged and bizarrely all of the charecters engaging in sexual activity appeared to have an identical taste in a particular sexual act, which was graphically described without any real benifit to the plot.

The end was somewhat of a dissapointment, the story just stopped, and I am not convinced that it will be finished in other stories.

I may give the author another go, but I think that had I spent more than 99p for the kindle edition I may be disappointed.

Philips HF3485 Wake-Up Light with Radio Alarm and USB Playback
Philips HF3485 Wake-Up Light with Radio Alarm and USB Playback
Price: 124.47

2.0 out of 5 stars Nice idea, but poor Manufacture, 28 Jan 2012
I must first of all say that I purchased my lamp from Buzz Agent, not from Amazon.

I purchased the Wake up like a year ago through a Phillips endorsed trial scheme, the light was a great boon, It helped me wake up at various times, on all manor of shifts.

The slow wake up process suited me and I felt refreshed when I awoke.

The main negative that was immediately apparent was the poor control system, its a bizzarre click and slide buttons, that don't give much in the way of tactile feedback, and it can be difficult to remember the sequence to alter the time, and which push and twist controls which function, especially at night.

9 months on and I must report that the light has developed a fault where at random times it switches the radio on and off at random times, as iff one of the poorly designed buttons that I mentioned is being pressed.

Having searched the web this seems a common problem.

However when you speak to Philips they are totally disinterested, whilst I appreciate a reasonable retailer such as Amazon will refund or repair and help the consumer.

But with such a common problem happening so early in the life of the product it is more of a manufacture issue, which Philips appear disinterested in.

Personally I expect more than 9 months life from an alarm clock of this price, the manufacturers view leaves me somewhat aghast.

In summary a great idea in theory but at the price do you want more than 9 monts out of it?
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 3, 2013 12:59 AM BST