Profile for Benjamin > Reviews

One State, Two States: Resolving the Israel/Palestine Conflict
One State, Two States: Resolving the Israel/Palestine Conflict
by Benny Morris

5.0 out of 5 stars Realism, 8 Sept. 2012
I like Benny Morris. He has changed his views quite drastically over his life, going from controversially challenging the Zionist narrative over the early history of the state and the cause of the refugee problem, to his current, hard, and somewhat depressing view of the conflict as a whole.

Considering what appears to me the honest evolution of a serious and highly prolific historian, I would press even on those who are likely to disagree with his current perspective, to take this book seriously. The conclusions in it are drastic, and many will say one sided, but personally I find this book to be a rather refreshing dose of realism in a sea of fantastical and skewed literature on the subject.

This book is short and acts as sort of a summary of the conflict, but as if delivered by a judge in his preamble to his verdict. Because of it's brevity and scope I recommend it to people new to the subject, wishing to taste the intense and harsh discussions which dominate it, but it's definitely not comprehensive, and would need complimentary history reading, maybe from some of Morris's other books such as 1948.

For people already familiar with the topic, well, this book's conclusions do not offer a completley new perspective, but it's a controversial one rarely heard today, that many people may not have heard of. Personally, I agree with Morris wholeheartedly in his new pessimistic take on the issue.

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 8 Aug. 2012
At first I was quite excited about it. Was very adjustable, and with lots of straps to attach items externally. But after first trip it was already slightly torn. After second trip I had two gaping holes along the front-centre of the rucksack and it is no longer usable.

One might say that I over packed it. Nevertheless, it should not give way so easily in my opinion.

2 stars.