Profile for riph72 > Reviews

"riph72"

Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box
Humax PVR9200T Set Top Box

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant PVR, 5 Dec 2005
This is the first PVR I've owned but must say it's an excellent piece of kit.
(I won't talk about it's features because these are available elsewhere, I'll focus on my impression of it)
In terms of general operation it seems well thought out and the software seems very robust and bug-free compared to many electronic items I own! It's not had a single problem that needs a reset or anything similar.
OSD is very clear and attractive, picture/sound quality is excellent (I used to work for Sony so appreciate a good quality picture when I see one).
Compared to the IDTV I was using previously, the picture is 100% stable with no artifacts/glitches at all, given it's using exactly the same signal.
When first powered up it can make a little noise (I'm guessing it's doing some self-checks and housekeeping) but it quickly settles down and is quiet for the vast majority of the time.
The remote is one of the best I've used. Not quite perfect because a couple of commonly used buttons are located under a sliding cover, but I still like it a lot.
160Gb holds a lot of content :)
The menu system is fairly simple to navigate and use.
Overall, to me it just gives an overall impression of quality design!
I only really have one gripe about it, and I don't know if it's even technically possible to get around it so it's just something to be aware of really: if you have reserved a programme for recording while out and come in halfway through the recording, you cannot watch it from the start until the recording finishes (or you finish it). You cannot use TSR (time slip recording) because the PVR was in standby :-/
(I am hopeful that Humax may address this with software updates...!)

The C++ Programming Language: Third Edition
The C++ Programming Language: Third Edition
by Bjarne Stroustrup

5.0 out of 5 stars The definitive reference for C++, 28 May 2000
I have read a few books on C++, some good and some not so good. This book is without a doubt the clearest and most concise of all of them. The author manages to convey some complex ideas (e.g. pointers) and leaves you with a very clear picture of what they are all about. Some books can go on for pages and pages and at the end you still aren't really sure what they are trying to say, not so here. This is also the first book I have read that gives a satisfactory explanation of header files, macros etc and how to use them well. I highly recommend this book, however it might seem a little heavy as a tutorial book for a total beginner to the language.