ARRAY(0xac47d510)

An Appetite For Wonder: The Making of a Scientist
An Appetite For Wonder: The Making of a Scientist
Price: 5.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Not enough about the man, 5 Oct 2013
I really like Richard Dawkins, his insight and argument on many topics are delightful to read and watch. I wanted this autobiography to tell me more about the man and his life and the first half of the book did this. The second half of the book, whilst a good scientific read, was not autobiographical until you got to the last 20% of it; it was a description of his research, methodology and lists of largely unknown people he had studied under/with etc. This content may be interesting to a very narrow band of readers and for those of us who have already read his scientific papers and books, it is going over the same ground. Richard stops halfway through his life, so presumably there's a 2nd book on the way. I wanted to learn all ebout the interactions and relationships he developed with other public figures; I wanted the personal stuff too, his marriages, family etc, so presumably I'll have to wait for the sequel? Some good reading in the first half but overall, disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 20, 2013 10:57 AM GMT

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display
Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than a book?, 15 July 2011
OK so the only time I get to read a lot is on holidays - it's hot and sunny and by the middle of the holidays, the glue has melted and pages start falling out - my fault for going to Turkey in mid summer when the temp is 40+
My wife thought of getting a kindle but I wasn't convinced, until we got one and now I can't put it down. It is so good to read, you can't imagine until you try, I've just come back from Turkey again, having read 2 books whilst away - I downloaded the second sat by the pool, using the hotel's wi-fi, no hassles. In bright sunlight, the screen remains clear and no reflections. It is light to hold and better still you can hold it and turn pages with 1 hand so you don't have to put your beer down! Also, when you're well into the middle of a paperback, you sometimes have to push each side of the book apart, or hold the pages apart - also taking 2 hands - but no such issues with the kindle. Battery life is great, 2 books and a little web surfing and still 1/3 battery left - amazing.

So, why only 4 stars? Extensive use of the kindle shop has caused my kindle to malfunction on 2 occasions. It is relatively easy to reset and nothing is 'lost' when doing so, but it is a small yet annoying glitch.

Nonetheless a fantastic bit of kit - a strong recommendation from me :-)

McLaren Gravity Pen
McLaren Gravity Pen

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever Stuff, 23 Mar 2010
This review is from: McLaren Gravity Pen (Misc.)
Excellent executive tool for those who hold McLaren Mercedes and cool design close to their hearts:-)

Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver
Philips HQ7390/17 Williams F1 Mains Rechargeable Shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Born again electric shaver, 13 Oct 2009
I have always had wet shaves and only ever tried cheapo electric shavers which always left a rash and never gave anything like a close shave. Thought I'd give this a go, having read the good reviews, and at a very reasonable price. 1 week in the shave is improving greatly and there is minimal rash now. The advice is that it takes a while to get the best results when swapping from blade to electric and this seems very true. So, buy with confidence in my opinion.

Lack of carry case drops a star I'm afraid;-)