Profile for samiX4 > Reviews

Content by samiX4

samiX4 (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Linx EM-I8270 7 inch Tablet (1.83 GHz Intel Atom Z3735G Quad-Core Processor, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB storage, Camera, WLAN, BT, Windows 8.1) - Black
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tablet can handle classic steam games read on..., 1 Jan. 2015
I've had this device for 2 days so take this review with a pinch of salt - I'll update it if there are problems so check the date.

I ordered this from amazon themselves and as always it arrived very quickly (3 days after a ordered). What struck me first is that the screen is very good quality, except for slightly grainy whites. The viewing angle is amazing for a device of this price, comparable to my nexus 7 (2012) which this is replacing.

Onto the OS handling itself - the tablet handles windows 8 extremely well. It's very fast, and the first thing I did was install lots of programs to test how well it could run them. Below are some programs that I tried.

Steam - I have run Thief: Deadly Shadows, Soul Reaver (one), Age of Empires HD, Skullgirls (hooking up a ps3 controller), and Mount and Blade warband (surprisingly!) all with medium graphics settings. Obviously this isn't going to play COD AW but for classic gaming and indi games this is fine.

Skype - Fine
Chrome - Works just like on my desktop PC and obviously can run flash player
VLC - Fine
Osu - For those of you who recognise this game, yes it can run it on low settings but it takes some calbiration to get used to it on a small screen and is slightly laggy unless background video is turned off.

This tablet also handles true multi-tasking, i.e. having two applications running side-by-side or two programs on the windows 8 desktop.

For this device I recommend buying a stand case, keyboard, and mouse, as these can improve the functionality massively, and this is a video I found which shows how to connect a ps3 controller via USB very easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpSaOJJIun8. Also a micro SD would help as the provided flash drive 32gb (or 16gb depending on if the exclusive period has ended) can run out pretty quickly.

I have one problem with this tablet but it's not massive. The battery can run low quite quickly when downloading or running the games listed above but here's a small list of battery depletion with bluetooth on (keyboard connected) and lowest brightness setting.

720p video half an hour long depleted 8%
1 hour of Thief gameplay 33%
stand-by 4% per hour
chrome browsing 13% per hour

I would definitely recommend this tablet but as I said I've had it for 2 days so I'll see how it goes.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2015 11:29 PM GMT

Google Nexus 7-inch 16GB Wi-Fi Tablet (Tegra 3 Quad-Core Processor 1.3GHz, 1GB DDR3 RAM, 16GB Onboard Storage, 1.2MP Front Camera, Android 4.1 Jelly Bean)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great screen resolution, 1 Jan. 2015
I've had this tablet for little under a year and I'm writing this review as I've decided to switch over to a windows tablet.

Pros:

Great screen resolution, brightness, and colour accuracy.
Very popular device so there are a lot of accessories for it.
Battery lasts long when you turn off wifi and bluetooth.
The hardware is great so it's quite fast.

I don't have any cons to list for this product which is why I've given it 5 starts, but in terms of functionality I would highly recommend researching windows tablets before buying an android tablet as they can be cheap and offer a lot more, for example a full desktop operating system.

Logitech M515 Wireless Mouse - Blue
Logitech M515 Wireless Mouse - Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine but, not for left-handers, 1 Jan. 2015
Great mouse, always stays connected and the batteries my seller provided lasted over a year. As an added plus it can run with just one battery. However, unfortunately, the mouse only seems to work this well in my right hand - I am left-handed and use my mouse with my left hand and despite it being symmetrical, it very occasionally it cuts out for a few seconds, only to work perfectly in my right hand.

EC Technology® Ultra Slim Mini Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard for iPad Air 2 / Air, iPad mini 3 / mini 2 / mini, iPad 4 / 3 / 2, Windows and Android 3.0 and above - White

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, 1 Jan. 2015
This keyboard has a good size and fully functioning keys, however, there is quite a bit of latency (maybe just for me) with the signal. If I stop typing for a second and then start again, there will be a two second delay before my devices compute the signal (and I've tried it on multiple devices). Also it's not the most comfortable keyboard with the risen keys. It's not for gaming, but if this is just for type document, etc. then it's fine.

新世紀エヴァンゲリオン (1) (カドカワコミックス・エース)
新世紀エヴァンゲリオン (1) (カドカワコミックス・エース)
by Sadamoto Yoshiyuki
Edition: Comic

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan. 2015
Make sure that you realise that this is in Japanese before you buy it. The kanji has furigana so it is not overly difficult to read, but currently I am not at a sufficient level to understand it mostly because the vocabulary is quite complex, as the anime would suggest (if you've seen it). Nice size, great quality, pictures are nice.

Wahl 9865-802X All in One Grooming Kit
Wahl 9865-802X All in One Grooming Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan. 2015
Multiples lengths, plastic but sturdy, and the circular and mini shaver heads can be very useful.

Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi
Japanese Reader Collection Volume 1: Hikoichi
by Clay Boutwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Jan. 2015
The content is really useful and the format is great, but there are only 4 short stories! Having said that you can read through it multiple times as I did and the vocabulary and concept learnt are very useful as a stepping stone to more complex texts.

It's not entirely worth the price but if I had the money I would buy all of the books in this series as I found it very useful.

In terms of difficulty I would say that you need to be able to understand most particles and tenses, and be able to read sentences with two clauses to get the full understanding.

Japanese Grammar (Barron's Grammar)
Japanese Grammar (Barron's Grammar)
by Carol Akiyama

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 1 Jan. 2015
Great book, it explains a lot of concepts for example tenses, word types, particles, and more. It is compact but easy to read and there is a lot to learn, 'brush-up', or add to your knowledge from the book,

Unlocked MYSAGA C1 4.0 Inch 3G Smartphone Android 4.2 MTK6572W Dual Core Mobile Phone Dual SIM Card Dual Standby 4G ROM 5.0MP Camera GPS E-compass Cellphone WIFI Bluetooth WAP for Orange, O2, Vodafone, 3 network,T-Mobile, Tesco Mobile, Virgin Mobile Network(Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 1 Jan. 2015
I would give this phone 5 stars because it is well worth 5 stars for the price, but it could mislead people into thinking that it's a 5 star product.

Pros:

It's quite a fast phone (at times), sometimes it can freeze but for the price it's worth it.
It actually has quite a nice look
Cameras are poor quality they are good enough for skype, etc.
I've had it for over 6 months and it still works fine
I does everything I want it to do, i.e running apps like facebook and youtube
Screen resolution is quite high

Cons:

The screen is pretty bad - the viewing angle is poor and it needs tilting to see it fully, however don't let this put you off unless this is going to be a big media device.
Occasional slowness

MOGOI(TM) High Speed 7-Port USB 2.0 Hub With ON / OFF Switch -Black With MOGOI Accessory Wire Winder

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great, 1 Jan. 2015
Pros:

Individual switches for ports
Lights showing which ports are on
Sturdy build
Low price for the number of ports

Cons:

This hub needs external power to perform like a USB 2.0 hub should. It's fine with peripherals like a mouse and keyboard, but USB flash drive transfer rates are extremely low, sometimes less than 1mb/s read/write.
The cord is short
The lights stay on after the computer is turned off (maybe just for my PC)
When I plug something into the mains adapter my PC is connected to, the device cuts out and all of my devices take about a minute to reconnect to the PC.

Overall it's useful but I recommend looking at a different hub.

Page: 1 | 2