Profile for A. Toop > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Franciscan Office Book-Revised
Franciscan Office Book-Revised

5.0 out of 5 stars Vade mecum, 16 May 2012
I only bought this really because I had a new Kindle. I have used the Franciscan office in various forms pretty consistently over my 30 years in ministry, but thought I really was a book person. Now I'm a total convert(!!) to the kindle and am so glad to have the Franciscan office to carry with me easily as I travel. I have, grumpily, dropped one star because it took me some time to learn how to use the book effectively and efficiently in electronic form. Incidentally, I still get most benefit from saying the words aloud as it helps me forget the medium and use it simply as an aid to prayer, preparation and reflection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 1:52 PM BST

Memories - 25th anniversary
Memories - 25th anniversary
Offered by FM Bookshops

5.0 out of 5 stars A trip down memory lane, 18 April 2012
For Christians of a certain age Garth was part of a rising political awareness, exorting us to get involved. He is also a great performer and musician, writing some terrific material. Inevitably this album doesn't include all my favourites, and I am sorry that "I never knew that life was in full technicolour" and "You can dance on your own grave" are not included, but it still manages to show something of the width of Garth's approach and has some great poetry. I think that it could be enjoyed by those without religious commitment - just think in terms of Dylan/Donovan + some country blues and rock influence. And for those who already know of Garth's work there are a couple of ones you may have missed that haven't previously been released on albums.

Tomy Ghostly Galleon Game
Tomy Ghostly Galleon Game

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun for the entire family, 18 April 2012
This review is from: Tomy Ghostly Galleon Game (Toy)
This game has proved a hit with our family and ages ranging from 2 to 62. Admittedly the two year old has to have supervision and help, but he still manages to be very much part of what's going on. Each game has limited duration which is a blessing, and is very involving as it's a mixture of the random and the skillful. The educational value is limited BUT there are good principals of physics in there as they try to anticipate how weight changes will alter balance. In play terms this game will keeps its interest for some time to come, but some of the pieces are quite small and could easily get lost. Highly recommended from our experience.

Short Walks Wiltshire: from Salisbury to the Kennett: Leisure Walks for All Ages
by Crimson Publishing

4.0 out of 5 stars The casual walker's little friend, 29 Nov 2011
For me, the purchase of a walking guide and a map are essential to the enjoyment of a break of three nights or more. It help with the anticipation and ensures that time is not wasted should the opportunity to walk arise. I only used two of the walks in this book on my last break, but they were both enjoyable and well described. I particularly like the odd facts that are dropped in for a bit of added interest - not too much - just about right. I am dropping a star simply because on one walk I felt the direction was not clear at an intersection of paths and tracks and found myself going off in the wrong direction for about a half mile. No big deal, but I hate retracing my footsteps (should have consulted map more readily).

Anchored In Love: A Tribute To June Carter Cash
Anchored In Love: A Tribute To June Carter Cash

4.0 out of 5 stars The memory stays with us, 3 Dec 2010
I bought this album on the basis of one track heard on the radio (Loretta Lynn) and was not disappointed. Having been a fan of June's since the late 60's I could have easily been dismissive of other people performing songs that she had made her own. I wasn't wild about Elvis Costello's contribution but I guess that's because he chose such an iconic piece - at least he is brave enough to do it in his own distinctive way. There was one small aspect of June's own "Song to John" which left me uncomfortable - I wonder if Emmylou Harris had any qualms at the same point? Over all though this is a lovely album, made all the more special because it is dedicated to a fine and often underestimated country lady.

The Best British Mysteries III: v. 3
The Best British Mysteries III: v. 3
by Maxim Jakubowski

4.0 out of 5 stars Mysteries for people on the move, 31 July 2010
I have to confess to being a bit of an addict as far as short mystery stories are concerned. They are the sort of books that you can pick up on a train or plane, or waiting for an appointment, as well as a last minute read before sleep. This particular series of books has always held some gems, but I think this is one of the best. It includes stories by a number of "names" in the thriller and mystery world, some of them varying their known styles rather effectively. If there is a criticism of the collection it would be that it possibly errs on the side of period stories and Sherlock Holmes derivatives in particular. For me that is not a problem, but some might find it so. Not a book to keep for ever, but certainly a book to take on a journey.

Troopers: Sticker Play Book to Color [With Stickers] (Star Wars: Clone Wars (Dalmation))
by Paul E. Nunn

3.0 out of 5 stars Brief distraction, 27 May 2010
This attractive book arrived promptly and so was offered to two Star Wars obsessed Grandchildren as a distraction whilst the adults had a prolonged family conference. Excitingly illustrated and presented it was instantly accepted with glee. It captured their atention for most of the time that was needed on that one occasion. On the negative side, I think that this book is unlikely to be picked up again (unless one of the boys wishes to illustrate something for a third party). In summary; it's a good distraction, well produced etc. but has little lasting play value. I recommend it to others - if it meets a specific need for a one off occasion.

Christmas In August [DVD]
Christmas In August [DVD]
Dvd ~ Suk-Kyu Han
Offered by soundsunlimited

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle and poignant, 6 Feb 2009
This review is from: Christmas In August [DVD] (DVD)
What an atractive film! I have a soft spot for Korean and Chinese films, and so I am a little predisposed to this type of material, but I think that even so the quality of this movie will attract many viewers. Cleverly filmed using fine actors it has a distinct texture that draws the viewers n to what is essentially a simple and wistful tale. Beautiful colour quality adds to the overall impression, and for once the additional features were worth watching, especially if you like to know how the vision became a reality.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3