Profile for L. Wicks > Reviews

Content by L. Wicks

L. Wicks (Sussex, England)

Draper 67068 Slimline Pruning Knife
Draper 67068 Slimline Pruning Knife
Offered by Handy Stores
Price: 6.94

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good little knife, 11 July 2012
I got this for my Dad with some other gardening bits for him to use on his allotment, and he has been very pleased with it. The blade is very sharp and locks into place securely, so is ideal for its purpose. The cord attached to the knife is a real plus-point as it means that it can be worn around your neck or wound around your wrist so it doesn't get put down on the ground and lost (a frequent problem for my Dad!!). For the price the knife is brilliant, but I have often found this with Draper products; you don't have the buy the most expensive tools you can find to get the quality you need.

Black & Decker NV2400N Dustbuster, 2.4 V, White/Lime
Black & Decker NV2400N Dustbuster, 2.4 V, White/Lime
Offered by Ideal Office Supplies Ltd
Price: 33.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than average suction & good value., 13 July 2011
I took a bit of a gamble on this little vacuum cleaner, and for once it paid off!! Its primary purpose was to pick up the cat litter that our cats chuck out of their trays (dry, unused litter), and it does this well. The suction is better than other small vacuum cleaners I've tried, but of course I'm sure there are more expensive models out there that do an even better job. My Dad borrowed it recently to hoover out his car, and reported that it did a good job. The one drawback I have found is that it doesn't have an LED to indicate when it is charging/charged - just don't do what I did and plug it in but forget to switch it on at the wall!! One other thing I should mention is that it is bagless. This is a good idea in terms of saving money on bags etc., but you do have to watch out when you open the vacuum to empty it - it's best to do it over the bin and/or keep the vacuum upright when you empty it.

On the whole, a successful purchase. Great value, and a sturdy little vacuum cleaner which has proved to be very useful. Suction is better than average, and it doesn't cost the earth.

Groundhog Day (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Groundhog Day (Collector's Edition) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Bill Murray
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Quietly brilliant, but a classic that should be seen by everyone., 31 May 2011
I always forget how much I love this film, then I go back and watch it and fall in love with the film all over again. No - don't stop reading, I'm not going to gush like an idiot :)

Much has been written about Bill Murray's comic brilliance, and if you don't know him for anything else except Ghostbusters, you could be forgiven for thinking that his talents end there. Without giving too much away, this film is a showcase for his versatility. He appears to take such pleasure in playing selfish, egotistical, arrogant, TV weatherman Phil Connors that it's difficult to see how you could ever like or sympathise with such a character. But Groundhog Day is more about his personal journey than the strange phenomenon that occurs. We live his life as events leave him exasperated, and as he begins to feel increasingly trapped. Connors spends so long trying to find a way out that he, at first, fails to see the flip-side of things - of course, this is his self-centred character's only concern to begin with. Needless to say, once this side of his character runs out of steam, possibilities open up. The journey that follows gives Bill Murray the chance to show us that he can portray a spectrum of emotions with engaging authenticity; it does not feel at all contrived.

After a while your perspective begins to shift, at first, you will surprise yourself as you begin to care, and by the end, you will be cheering for Phil Connors. There is plenty of mystery to the situation, but the lack of explanation for this situation is subtly clever. You could spend the whole film waiting for something supernatural to happen and be disappointed, or you could notice that this mystery helps you to sympathise with Connors and shifts the focus of the film squarely to his character and his experiences. It is this device that makes for a satisfying film experience. This is why it is brilliant, but in an unassuming way. Not a large-scale, loud, special-effects laden sci-fi mystery, but a small, thoughtful "what if" comedy with a heart.

Solomon Kane [DVD]
Solomon Kane [DVD]
Dvd ~ James Purefoy
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Under-rated & under-publicised, but great if you like elements of action and horror., 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Solomon Kane [DVD] (DVD)
I only knew about this film as I saw an interview on TV with James Purefoy, so I saw it at the cinema and bought it as soon as it came out on DVD. Despite being a fairly low-budget production and not your typical Hollywood-funded flick, it delivers some pretty decent special effects and supernatural-type shocks. It has a clear plot, lots of action (I don't think you'll get bored!), and as well as a decent lead actor it has a good supporting cast; those of you who know a few Brit actors will recognise a few faces (Pete Postlethwaite, Mackenzie Crook, Jason Flemyng). The character of Solomon Kane may seem a bit one-dimensional at first, but stick with it as he goes on to battle with the monsters inside (as well as the ones outside), and by the end we understand more about him. I lent the DVD to one of my friends to watch, and she said it reminded her of Van Helsing......I would say to that; the only similarity is the long hair and hat!! Solomon Kane is much darker (in tone as well as in the muted palate used to colour Kane's world), with about 100 times the body count, more frightening monsters, and it's a lot more bleak (for the most part). In the end, a satisfying experience for action-fans and supernatural/horror-fans alike.

New Womens Chestnut Fur Suede Style Flat Knee Boots Sz 7
New Womens Chestnut Fur Suede Style Flat Knee Boots Sz 7
Offered by SoYouShoes
Price: 20.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing boots!!, 8 Dec 2010
I can't believe the price of these boots!! They are really warm (as tested in our recent sub-zero temperatures) when my feet freeze in all my other boots. They've also got a very good tread on the sole, unlike most fashion boots, so they are ideal for our current weather. I have quite large calves, so I was very pleased when these fitted me (even with jeans tucked into them). One con though - once you have one pair, you'll want them in all the other colours too :)

Sony Mini DV 5 pack with Free Carry Case
Sony Mini DV 5 pack with Free Carry Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice price, nice carry case!, 27 Mar 2009
I was really pleased with this set of tapes, since I had been to Sainsburys to buy them on a previous occasion and paid so much more. The free carry case was a nice little bonus and helps keep the tapes together and protected. All 5 tapes will fit in the case.