Profile for Mr. Michael Read > Reviews

Content by Mr. Michael Read

Mr. Michael Read "Mick Read" (Edinburgh)

Page: 1 | 2
Beneath Another Sun
Beneath Another Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 25 Mar 2013
This book immediately touched a nerve, as my own grandfather was a Far East POW, dying from dysentery whilst in captivity aboard a Japanese transport "hellship". Other references, mostly to places such as Ely, Cambs, and to the Royal Norfolk Regiment (aforementioned grandfathers younger brothers was in the Norfolk's) made this even more 'real' for me personally.

That is however almost as an aside, as despite the subject matter, this book is as captivating as the others from the author - all of which I have read. It is as my title suggests, a masterpiece of story telling. The publishers made a big mistake here!

Utterly enthralling!

Safari Leather Travel Pass Oyster Card Holder Style 5307 46
Safari Leather Travel Pass Oyster Card Holder Style 5307 46

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant service, good quality and excellent price, 24 May 2011
Nothing to fault with this. It is exactly as described, delivered almost immediately and serves the purpose I required, which is holding 2 access-entry passes for my work building, but keeps them separate, as one pass gets you through one door, the other a second door..and together they conflict. I am sure this is equally useful for those with travel passes.
Nice soft leather, and feels well-made. I would certainly buy again,

Raspberry Beret
Raspberry Beret

5.0 out of 5 stars Always meant to download this, 12 April 2011
This review is from: Raspberry Beret (MP3 Download)
One of those that I never got around to until now. Heard on radio and thought I'd just do it. The extended version is really cool too - and reminds me of the days when you were 'hip' if you had the 12" single!

HQ LCD TV Laptop Computer  Screen Cleaning Kit
HQ LCD TV Laptop Computer Screen Cleaning Kit
Offered by CameraKing

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Product for the money, 12 April 2011
Ordered this as I wanted something to clean my 24" flatscreen monitor and iPhone. It does what it says on the tin, and exceptionally well too. I particularly like the brush, which is just brilliant, and just adds to the usefulness of this pack. The seller had this on my doorstep the next day too. I cannot recommend enough.

The One From The Other: A Bernie Gunther Novel: A Bernie Gunther Mystery (Bernie Gunther Mystery 4)
by Philip Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Philip Kerr at his best, 2 Jun 2010
Very short - this is the second Bernie Gunther novel I have read, and I wasn't disappointed. Kerr is a hidden talent.

Blacklands
Blacklands
by Belinda Bauer

5.0 out of 5 stars A Top Effort..........., 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Blacklands (Paperback)
This is a great read. I was captured from the start, and engaged throughout. clearly there are similarities in the subject matter with the infamous moors murders, but the author has taken this topic and created an enthralling read, with believable characters whose relationships are detailed extensively and inter-twine engagingly. I would recommend this book as an easy read, even if the subject matter is somewhat harrowing.

19V 3.42A Power supply for ACER laptops standard fitting, With Globe 1 year warranty
Offered by GLOBE TRADING

5.0 out of 5 stars What More Can I say..., 3 Jan 2010
It works, doesn't get hot, is branded as OEM and to coin a phrase "does what it says on the tin". Cheap from this seller too, and delivered quickly.

No Country for Old Men
No Country for Old Men
by Cormac McCarthy

1.0 out of 5 stars No Book for Normal Men, 13 May 2008
This review is from: No Country for Old Men (Paperback)
I can only hope, that by winning numerous oscars, that the film is better than the book? I have to say that in a very long time, I have not read a book that is as poor as this. It is written in an appalling American-hill-billie style scrawl (by a 12-year-old?)that is so full of slang, it becomes deeply annoying. There are huge gaps in the plot, and the characters are not even described, leaving you feeling completely disengaged from the whole thing...I give it one star, simply because someone took the time to print this. Other than that, the best I can say is AVOID!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2011 6:02 PM GMT

My Speed King: Life with Donald Campbell
My Speed King: Life with Donald Campbell
by Anthony Hopkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Worthwhile., 4 Feb 2004
For those that revere Donald Campbell as a "boys own" hero, this will dispel some of the myth. It paints a picture of an "ordinary playboy" (if there is such a thing) who was not infallible. As such, it is a useful addition to the DC story. This said, it is not a really great read, and Tonia Bern-Campbell similarly does not paint herself in a very good light or indeed "whiter than white". I actually found myself wishing I hadn't bought this book, as it is slightly annoying (although I can't put my finger on exactly why).In all, the honesty portrayed by the author should be commended....even if it detracts from the "readability" of the book

Early One Morning
Early One Morning
by Robert Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 3 Feb 2004
This review is from: Early One Morning (Paperback)
It's crass to say "best book I've ever read", but this one certainly comes close. I was so impressed, I subsequently spent hours searching the web for more information on Messrs. Grover-Williams and Benoist. So it's a fictional account of a true story, and factually in places inaccurate. This does not matter one iota - it's probably all the better for its dramatisation. The combination of "cloak and dagger", nazi persecution and the motor-racing glamour and toil of the day creates a brilliant backdrop for the book.
The only downside to all of this, is that it raises your expectations for Ryan's next works. In fairness, Blue Noon was similarly a good read,but not in the same league as this one. I have pre-ordered RR's next novel and wait with anticipation of another truly outstanding work.....

Page: 1 | 2