Profile for Mutian > Reviews

Big Love: Complete HBO Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Bill Paxton
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Love needs a bigger audience, 1 July 2010
I only heard of this wonderful show after reading a Wikipedia article on Dustin Lance Black, the screenwriter of 'Milk' who was a staff writer for season one of this series. Understandably, Big Love doesn't receive much attention in the UK, what with its main subject being polygamy and that it is broadcast on HBO in the US. However, what TV lovers are missing out on is a really unique and interesting series that is far different to anything else on television. Past the polygamy you'll find yourself relating to many of the show's characters whether it be the teens, the wives or the man of the house. What is commendable is the way that the issues of polygamy and religion are dealt with; respectfully. Neither are condemned or encouraged, you are simply given a window into what the lives of such people are like.

Definitely one to watch and highly recommended!

Brothers And Sisters - Season 2 [DVD]
Brothers And Sisters - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dave Annable
Price: 7.70

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive, 6 Jun 2010
The second season of Brothers and Sisters is just as strong as the first and allows you to venture farther into the lives of the Walker family. What I really enjoyed this season was seeing my favorite characters settle down in the season finale (don't wish to be a spoiler so won't say who), and the season really allowed us to see more of Nora, Kitty, Sarah, Kevin and Rebecca in particular. The only thing I found frustrating with this season was how quickly everything moved along, for example, a character proposed to another in one episode and the wedding took place in the next, it would have been nice to see it a little more dragged out. However, I believe that when this season was made (2007), the writer's strike was taking place which I imagine is the reason for the storylines being wrapped up rather quickly and for the season being shorter than the first.

I highly recommend this if you have seen the first season and to anyone looking for an enthralling show to watch!

Brothers And Sisters - Season 1 [DVD]
Brothers And Sisters - Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dave Annable
Offered by Magic Movies Ltd
Price: 6.38

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic first season, 4 Jun 2010
I only started watching Brothers and Sisters this year, I believe the show is already in its fourth season but I am happy to say that I plan to catch up!

Focusing on the lives of the Walker family, led by matriarch Nora, who is played brilliantly by Sally Field, you will find yourself becoming engrossed into the lives of the family members and each episode will leave you longing for more.

As someone who watches a lot of television, from Friends, Will & Grace, Desperate Housewives, Ugly Betty, South Park Damages and Rome, to name a few, Brothers and Sisters certainly can be credited as one of the better shows on television at the moment.

I only hope that as the series continues the show remains as strong as it has been in this first season.

The Illustrated Mum
The Illustrated Mum
by Jacqueline Wilson
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for kids, teens and adults alike!, 2 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Illustrated Mum (Paperback)
This is possibly Jacqueline Wilson's finest piece of work. I first read 'The Illustrated Mum' when I was about 11 years old and became hooked to her books after that. Focusing on the lives of dysfunctional mother Marigold and sisters, Star & Dolphin, the story explores a range of themes from having a temperamental family to dealing with attempted suicide, with a mixture of teen and mother-daughter angst along the way. It truly is a breathtaking story that will keep you wanting more.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: York Notes Advanced
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof: York Notes Advanced
by T. Williams
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't have passed my exams without it!, 19 July 2009
Awesome revision book on what I thought was quite a boring play at first and found hard to read. The York Notes on Cat On A Hot Tin Roof provided a great insight on the different themes & issues presented in the play and made it far easier to understand and digest in time for my English exam. By the time I had finished with it I realized Cat On A Hot Tin Roof isn't so bad after all and is actually a very entertaining and interesting look on family relationships.

If you're thinking it might help you revise, buy it, it really does!

Ugly Betty Series 1 & 2 Box Set  [DVD]
Ugly Betty Series 1 & 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ America Ferrera

5.0 out of 5 stars Betty's brilliant!, 19 July 2009
I'm going to review the actual product rather than the show itself; I'm guessing you wouldn't be looking at this unless you've seen or have an idea of what Ugly Betty's about.

This DVD boxset includes the first 2 seasons of the popular show and from what I can tell, the two series in this pack are exactly the same as those sold individually.

Each series contains the full episodes & bonus features such as crew and cast commentaries, interviews etc.

It's nicely presented, provides hours of fun and works out cheaper (or it did when I bought) than buying each series separately. Very good quality and well worth the money!

Environmental Systems and Societies: International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme (IB Diploma Programme)
by Jill Rutherford

5.0 out of 5 stars At last!, 30 Mar 2009
I am in my second year of the IB Diploma, meaning that in 5 weeks today I start my exams! My teacher ordered this guide a few weeks ago and it arrived yesterday. It looks very impressive from what I've seen, not too overwhelming which surprised me, also nice and colorful with lots of different case studies and diagrams. Every topic is neatly divided to allow you to be able to quickly revise the topics you need to know the most, in my case it will require reading the whole book! Definitely recommended for ecosystems students!

I've just ordered my copy today!

Posters: Friends Poster - Group With Milkshakes (39 x 28 inches)
Posters: Friends Poster - Group With Milkshakes (39 x 28 inches)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good poster, not so sure about delivery speeds, 1 Mar 2009
Bought this poster as I love Friends, it's huge and is a really nice quality image. The company estimated my delivery would be about 10 days, I ended up receiving it a month later but they were very quick to respond to my e-mails when I messaged them about this.

A good product for a Friends fan, take the delivery estimate with a pinch of salt.

Damages - Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Damages - Season 1 [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Glenn Close
Price: 11.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling!, 1 Mar 2009
Damages has got to be the best thing on TV at the moment. Right from the first episode I was captivated into the world of Patty Hughes and Ellen Parsons, it's brilliantly written and the actors are totally convincing at bringing the twisted plots to life.

Amazon is offering a real bargain price for this series, I promise you if you like legal dramas or just want to watch something intelligent then you will be gripped on this series right from the first opening titles to the end credits of the final episode, I was yelling at the TV for more! Luckily season 2 is now on the BBC and it seems to be even better than this first season.

Enjoy!

Shrek the Halls [DVD]
Shrek the Halls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mike Meyers
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't have been done better!, 1 Feb 2009
This review is from: Shrek the Halls [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this a few weeks before Christmas and really loved it. The whole Shrek team return in a 30 minute Christmas adventure where Shrek learns that celebrating the holiday season never goes to plan. There are some scenes that will have you rolling around in fits of laughter and will get you in Christmas mood.

Some may question the film's price on here, I think I paid around 6 which I did think was a bit steep for a half-hour thing but it was worth every penny and I've now watched it a dozen times.

Any Shrek fan will thoroughly enjoy it and some may agree with me that it would have been a better idea for Dreamworks to have made 'Shrek the Halls' a feature length holiday movie instead of the atrocity they made which was Shrek the Third.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5