Profile for Sunshine > Reviews

Content by Sunshine

Sunshine "Sunshine Girl" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Honestly Healthy for Life: Healthy Alternatives for Everyday Eating
Honestly Healthy for Life: Healthy Alternatives for Everyday Eating
by Natasha Corrett
Price: 12.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Far too much sugar to be honestly healthy - and a totally confusing layout, 21 Aug 2014
I am a super-fan of the alkalising way of eating that the authors recommend and I LOVED their first book - Honestly Healthy.
But this follow-up book was a real disappointment for two reasons:
1. I am constantly having to flick through the whole book to find a recipe I want to cook because, instead of being grouped as, say, salads / light bites / starters / soups / main courses / puddings, they are instead grouped by 'event style', like 'Girl's night in' or 'Hostess With The Mostest'. Each section has a random selection of mains / salads / soups and desserts. How on earth am I supposed to find the recipe I'm looking for if I now have to second-guess which kind of 'mood' the authors think I 'should' be in to want to cook it? It is totally confusing and a frustrating waste of time.
2. There are WAY too many puddings and sweets. And they've all got sugars in them. Ok, not cane sugar, but other sugars, which (having tried them) still cause a post-GI crash and cause my kids to bounce off the walls.
SOME of the recipes are QUITE nice. But this book is nowhere near as inspirational as their first - Honestly Healthy.

Breath: The Essence of Yoga - A Guide to Inner Stillness
Breath: The Essence of Yoga - A Guide to Inner Stillness
by Sandra Sabatini
Price: 10.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Esoteric poems rather than a genuine guide to inner stillness - I returned it for a refund, 21 Aug 2014
This book is 'pretty', but totally lacking in substance.
In fact, it is the only book I have ever returned for a refund.
Instead of calming, I found it frustrating and irritating, because I was looking for the inspiration and guidance it promised, but I couldn't find it.
The description promises to guide us through the process of learning how to breathe properly and then how to incorporate this with simple yoga positions. But it doesn't deliver.
The book is laid out as a series of short 'poems' - super-short half-sentences and micro-paragraphs, with often fewer than 30 words per page, plus an occasional line drawing.
If you were a complete beginner, you would really struggle to create any kind of pranayama / breathing awareness practice from this book. Its passages are more esoteric than instructional.
The description says that "The book's main aim is to show that that if you learn how to reconnect with the breath you can experience enormous benefits such as renewed energy and a greater calmness." It may well be. But it forgets the 'how to learn' bit, whislt marketing itself to beginners.
It is much more suited to experienced yogis and meditators, who could use its short abstract passages as inspiration for meditation and awareness - if they want to.
It's not a bad book, if you're looking for. It's simply that it doesn't deliver the promise in the description and for me it felt contrived and lacking in substance. Sorry...

2014 Create Your Amazing Year in Life & Business Workbook
2014 Create Your Amazing Year in Life & Business Workbook
by Leonie Dawson

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for getting you to set goals, but very short on creating the change, 12 Jan 2014
This colourful book is beautifully created.

It is effectively two workbooks in one - with a good amount of repetition - one for your life (about 60 pages) and one for your business (about 35 pages).

Both workbooks begin with a review of 2013, with a closing and releasing ceremony.

The author then prompts you to ask yourself questions to help you figure out what you want from the coming year. Some of these questions are insightful, others are more along the lines of 'which movies you would like to see'.

Once you have set your goals, there is almost nothing about 'what's next'.

The first page of the book starts with the headline: "Warning! This workbook creates change" and the sales page promises that "The Create Your Amazing Year In Life + Biz workbooks will turn your New Year's resolutions from faded-out forgotten wishes in a month's time into actual dreams come true." I disagree.

This workbook helps you to set your 2014 goals, in a funky and colourful way. It doesn't help you to actually create the change.

We all know that people can set goals - that's why we all love New Year's Resolutions so much!

The challenge comes in actually making those changes - and that's where this book falls really short. It contains 2 pages (about 300 words) on creating habits, plus a link to a video on how to create your to do list for your goals, but that's about it, apart from the odd paragraph.

It helps you create the ideas for an inspirational 2014, but doesn't address anything to do with how to make those changes in your life. Anyone can set some enticing goals, but it's actually implementing them that creates the change - and that's where most of us need the 'how'.

The only suggestion of 'how to' comes in the form of a 8 page advert (out of only 116 pages) at the back of the book for the author's 500 dollar 'Amazing life and biz academy' programme and affiliate scheme.

I have to admit that I found the super-large-font text and the overly-colourful pictures a bit child-like and patronising (my issue, I know, especially given how many people love this book!).

I found the process of sitting down and deciding what I want to create for 2014 helpful - hence the 2 stars - but I strongly felt that the promise that the workbook would create change was not delivered.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 2, 2014 4:06 PM GMT

Color Copy A4 Paper - 200gsm, 1 pack of 250 sheets
Color Copy A4 Paper - 200gsm, 1 pack of 250 sheets
Offered by stick-und-filz
Price: 10.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Arrived damaged and it's not 200gsm, 18 Dec 2013
Although the Amazon packaging was good, the card arrived with the corner badly bent, meaning many of the sheets were unusable and got stuck in my printer. It looked like the pack had been dropped.
Also, I really doubt that this is 200gsm. I have been previously using 220gsm card, which is MUCH thicker and stronger. This feels like thick paper, rather than card, and despite being expensive had a cheap feel to it. It feels thinner and floppier than the 160gsm card I also have in stock.
When cut it feels flimsy.
And it was expensive.
I won't be buying it again.

How To Self-Publish: A Do-It-Yourself Approach
How To Self-Publish: A Do-It-Yourself Approach

1.0 out of 5 stars Full of important mistakes, disjointed and she doesn't follow her own advice., 8 Oct 2013
Yikes! Just read this book.

The author gives you a clear procedure for how to lay out your self-published book - but she doesn't follow her own procedure - it's not laid out in a logical flow and her book is full of typos, despite her telling you to get it proof-read by many and to read it yourself at least 5 times. It doesn't look like it was even spell-checked.

The mistakes include the very html code that she is recommending you copy and paste into your Kindle book - they could completely corrupt it and would certainly limit its functionality.

The whole book feels like a bunch of unedited transcripts from interviews with possible experts, but it's not clear what they are experts in or why we should listen to them. It never feels clear 'who' is speaking.

Also, she makes the whole process far more complicated (and in places it's downright wrong!) than it needs to be and she's behind the times because you can now go straight from Word to CreateSpace and Amazon KDP without needing to stress about HTML or scary formatting processes. This is despite that having been the case for quite a while and this book only having been published 8 weeks ago.

She mentions all of the pictures of the processes that are on her blog, but she could easily have included them in the Kindle and this would have made it a much better book - I'm guessing she doesn't know how?

Regarding ISBNs, she talks about the extended distribution from CreateSpace, but forgets to mention that you can only get it if you have a CreateSpace-assigned ISBN - a REALLY important point for USA-audience authors.

She glosses over Kindle Select (a really important issue, since it would prevent you from digital publishing elsewhere, but could net you more than your sales!)

Regarding pricing, she misses out the whole royalties bit on KDP - that certain prices get lower royalties.
And she sums up this section of the e-book with her comment "Pay less than $1.99, people will be expecting junk." Her book was half that - hmmmm...

She covers the whole of Facebook in about 150 words ("you have to do it, so do it, create a personal profile and add lots of people as friends" - how to get your account blocked!). It's against Facebook's terms to use your personal profile to promote a business, such as a book. You have to use a page... So she's setting self-publishing authors up for serious slapped wrists.

Also, establishing your 'platform' and 'potential reader base' is the most essential part of self-publishing, as there is no publisher to do it for you. It should ideally begin months before the book is finished and most definitely should include a comprehensive Facebook and Twitter campaign. It is certainly worth more than a short paragraph in a 'how to self-publish' book.

There is some useful stuff on offline promotions and PR - and that's where the benefit of this book lies.

The danger is that if you are new to self-publishing (i.e. this book's target audience), then you won't spot the mistakes, other than the obvious typos. This might even come across as being authoritative and 'good advice'.

If you really want to go-it-alone and publish your own book, her advice, typos, mistakes, misunderstandings and over-complicating of the process will make it much harder for you. To be honest, it feels like it was knocked together in a weekend, in order to cash in on the self-publishing advice market.

Bottom line: please don't position yourself as an expert in Kindle self-publishing unless you actually are one. xx

The Psychology of Price: How to use price to increase demand, profit and customer satisfaction
by Leigh Caldwell
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully fresh approach, well-researched and helpful case studies, 18 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Unlike some other reviewers, I found the fact that this book is part theory and part case study story really refreshing. It means that the information is absorbed by both your left and right brain areas, making it easier to understand and then apply to your own situation.
The theory is well-researched and presented in a way that is simple to 'get', whilst containing enough gravitas to be trusted.
I have personally applied several of the methods from this book to my own business and found an instant increase in sales.
It's not a book I would 'dip in to' - I'd probably want to re-read it.
I'm grateful to the author for helping me to question our society's long-held misconceptions on pricing and to rewrite the way I position products with my customers.
Well worth the read.

Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
Anjum's Indian Vegetarian Feast
by Anjum Anand
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars It's definitely 'feast day' and not 'work day' - plus I'd have loved more photos of the dishes, 18 Jun 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a lovely book and a treat, if you want to discover more about Indian cooking.
Most of the other reviews have waxed sufficiently lyrical about it that I will restrict mine to pointing out two points that, to be honest, mean the book will get far fewer outings than it possibly deserves:

1. The recipes are mainly 'feast' recipes (as per the title). They're certainly not 'after work' meals. Most of them are quite intricate and, if you make the suggested accompaniments, too, take quite a while with a good long list of ingredients.

2. The photography is lovely, but I wish there were more photos of the actual dishes. Although I love Indian cooking, many of the names were unfamiliar to me and I'd have loved to see a photo for each dish, partly to inspire me and partly so I could figure out if I had 'got it right'.

Those two points aside, it's a lovely book and I hope you enjoy it!

Argon Digital Radio with iPod Dock - High Gloss
Argon Digital Radio with iPod Dock - High Gloss
Offered by Gagi Spares
Price: 55.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great compact dock & radio, but not quite heavy enough, 21 Mar 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a great little radio and docking station. It takes up minimal space, but packs a punch with sound quality. The radio signal is realiable (that's saying a lot where I live - we struggle with DAB, but this unit works well). But there are a couple of negatives:

(1) The buttons take quite a hard push to press them. I'm really good at making the unit slide across the kitchen worktop or topple over while I do this.

(2) It isn't compatible with iPhone 4 (not sure if that's an Apple problem?)

Apart from that, I'm happy with it after the first few weeks.

Just a Minute: Best of 2010 (BBC Radio 4 Comedy)
Just a Minute: Best of 2010 (BBC Radio 4 Comedy)
by Just a Minute
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 12.62

4.0 out of 5 stars As usual, a laugh a minute - well, most minutes, 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If you're interested in this CD, then you probably already know how 'Just A Minute' works.
And the product description tells you plenty about who stars on it and what they're talking about.
As usual, the Just A Minute team bring you the laughs you are looking for.
The CD contains entire episodes, all of which contain great bits and more dull bits.
That's why it gets 4 stars from me, rather than 5.
For me, a "Best Of" should be just that - the best of.
I can see why the publishers chose to include whole episodes - the dynamics between the contestants are important. However, there's part of me that still wishes it was a collection of individual 'minutes' - the best and cleverest and most 'laugh your belly off' from the year.
I love listening to this in the car on long journeys, when it makes time fly.
Enjoy!

G Data Internet Security 2012 3 User, 1 year License (PC)
G Data Internet Security 2012 3 User, 1 year License (PC)

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much for my laptop, 21 Feb 2013
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Admittedly my laptop is about 4 years old, but this software seemed to slow it down. I wonder if I am running something else that clashes with it? I have gone back to using AVG which is great and doesn't seem to grind things to a halt.
I suspect that the G-Data system would work better on a newer (and less overloaded!) computer.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8