Profile for Douglas W. Boynton > Reviews

Content by Douglas W. Boynton

Douglas W. Boynton "Doug Boynton" (Fairfax, VA)

And So It Goes
And So It Goes
Offered by Mud Records

4.0 out of 5 stars I always get into trouble when I speak in generalities., 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: And So It Goes (Audio CD)
Generally speaking, two kinds of singers record with only a piano: those who can’t afford a larger group, or those who are confident in their ability. It’s fair to say that Clare Teal falls into the second category.

Recorded in February over two days in a London studio, “Armed with a bag of sheet music,” Ms. Teal and her Musical Director, Grant Windsor, brought the project from recording to finished album in just two months.

There's nowhere to hide in this kind of setting, and while it won’t be my favorite Clare Teal album (sorry), it will be *among* the favorites. It’s clear that Ms. Teal is among friends here – she sounds more relaxed, having more fun with the lyrics. By it’s nature, the result is less processed, and that’s all to the good.

There are nine Clare Teal albums in my collection, and I’ve got my own “Best of” playlist in heavy play on the ‘pod. From this collection, “Skylark” and “Someone To Watch Over Me” will be added to that list. It’s not the album I’d start with, but it’s a worthy addition to any fan’s anthology of Ms. Teal’s repitoire.

This disc is highly recommended.