Profile for Calum White > Reviews

Content by Calum White

Calum White (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Life Lessons from a Greyhound
Life Lessons from a Greyhound
by Angela Reed-Fox

1.0 out of 5 stars ... but feel compelled to by warn others about the disappointment I've had, 23 Dec. 2015
I very rarely write reviews but feel compelled to by warn others about the disappointment I've had.

This book is almost entirely bereft of content. It is a list of about 100 pages, snippets of banal 'lessons' which seem to be inspired by greyhounds hardly at all. I had hoped for an amusing book which highlighted the eccenricities of an incredibly characterful breed of dog, but was left incredibly disappointed. This 'book' is just a series of abstract thoughts written presumably off the top of the author's head, and is a complete waste of paper. What the other reviewers were reading (if they have indeed read this at all) is beyond me.

If you're looking for a 'Marley and Me: greyhound version', look elsewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2016 5:37 PM BST

Dragon Harper (The Dragon Books)
Dragon Harper (The Dragon Books)
by Anne McCaffrey

4.0 out of 5 stars Another box of tissues, please.., 20 Jan. 2009
I'm a huge, huge fan of Anne McCaffrey's work and own every book she's written. Unlike some i'm really optimistic about the collaborative work she's done with Todd, and lots of solo adventures from the son in the near future.
However, and there usually has been a however with Todd so far, he has got to give us some happiness! I get the opinion this is mostly Todd's work, his plan and execution only being 'supervised' by mummy.
I felt with Dragon's Blood, and I feel with this that the majority of the book is simply too bleak, and gives a fairly majorly unsatisfactory ending. It is poignant, evocative and does have a real sense of place that shows incredible skill in storytelling - that said I will not read this book a second time.
Would I recommend it to people? Yes. Because if you're a fan of Pern, like me, you will suffer anything to delve in to that incredible fantasy world. But the books recently are breaking my heart, and I feel that Todd needs to let some sunshine in from time to time!

As a product I have given it '4', because it outclasses anything else i've read in style and technique. However, on a scale of 'Novels of Pern' this would not rate highly for me, and I would be flabergasted to be found in the minority.

Give us something to smile about while the tears flow down our cheeks, Todd!