Profile for lisa@smilewebs.com > Reviews

Content by lisa@smilewebs.com

lisa@smilewebs.com (London, UK)

The Dying of the Light (Skulduggery Pleasant, Book 9) (Skulduggery Pleasant series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 5 Oct. 2014
I've been reading this series since I was 11, I'm now 17 and couldn't help but to break into little sobs as I read the last book of the best series I've come to know. I'm sure my review does nothing for Mr Landy's ever growing ego but whatever he deserves it. These books shaped who I am from the inspiration to write to my clever wit. Well done Derek. This book hurts but the ending is SO worth all the pain, it's not really a children's book.

Key Stage 1 National Test Papers
Key Stage 1 National Test Papers
by BBC

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent SATS information., 26 Mar. 2001
This pack contains everything you need to understand about KS1 SATS. I didn't have a clue what to expect when my 6 year old twins take their KS1 SATS in May until I bought a copy of this pack. It contains an explanatory booklet which tells you all what is expected and how the children take the tests and which tests are taken under "exam conditions". There is a copy of last years actual reading/comprehension test for level 2, last years maths test and spelling test. There is also a booklet showing you how to mark the papers and how to conduct the tests. My children enjoyed the tests and it has put my mind at rest to know that they have seen and had a go at actual test papers so hopefully when they have to do it at school it won't be so daunting. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this pack, it's excellent value for money.

Naughtiest Girl: 01: Naughtiest Girl In The School
Naughtiest Girl: 01: Naughtiest Girl In The School
by Enid Blyton
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Wonderful!!!!!, 2 Jan. 2001
I bought this tape for my 6 year old twins just before christmas and I can honestly say I have never seen them so quite. We had a power cut on Saturday and it proved to be a real winner! It was cold and snowy outside and we holed ourselves up in the sitting room with the fire roaring, the curtains closed, bowls of crisps and listened to this story. They sat through the whole two tapes without moving!! There are two stories, the first is about a girl, Elizabeth who is sent to boarding school and she is determined to be naughty and get sent home. But then she starts to enjoy life at the school and make friends and doesn't want to leave. The second follows her second term when she is determined to be good but keeps getting into all sorts of scrapes. We had such a lovely afternoon that I will definately be buying the next Naughtiest Girl in School tapes and as requested by my children, we'll turn off all the noise of modern life and just sit and listen. Brilliant!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 2, 2011 9:58 PM BST

The Magic Faraway Tree
The Magic Faraway Tree
by Enid Blyton

5.0 out of 5 stars This is one of the best kids books ever written!!, 11 Dec. 2000
This review is from: The Magic Faraway Tree (Paperback)
I read lots of books as a child, many by Enid Blyton, but this has to be the best by far. It's all about 4 children, Bessie, Fanny, Jo and Dick and all the adventures that they had with their fairy friends in the Magic Faraway Tree. Even after 25 years I can still remember what "toffee shocks" and "pop biscuits" are. I'm now reading it to my 6 year old twins and it's magical to hear the excitement as they long to ride the "slipery slip" and make up their own versions of Saucepan Man's silly songs. If you have children, buy them this book, they will love it!!!