Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "Reader458" (UK)

The Periodic Table: An Indispensable Guide to the Elements
The Periodic Table: An Indispensable Guide to the Elements
Price: 2.98

3.0 out of 5 stars fuzzy diagram, 7 Jun 2014
I'm running a Kindle app on a Samsung tablet. When you double click on a picture, in the app, you can use the reverse pinch gesture to magnify the image.

Chapter one features diagram of the periodic table. You can read the atomic number and symbol for the element in the diagram, but the element names ar indistinct. After magnifying the diagram, you find that the element names are pixelated and out of focus. For instance, element 38-Rb has a name which looks like the palace of Westminster in a serious fog.

I'm afraid that the publishers have missed a trick here as the diagram is a major component of the text. It could have had hypertext links to the text entries for each element.

I'm afraid I don't know much about chemistry, hence the purchase of the book. A typical session for me might go like this: look for a reference to sodium, guess it might have a simbol like "so", can't find "so" on the periodic table diagram, look for sodium alphabetically. Unfortunately, the text entries are in atomic number order.
All in all, it could be better
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 6:31 PM BST

Original Dell Inspiron 5150 and 5160 130W PSU (PA-13/PA-4E 19.5v 6.7A, Replaces Original Part Number PA13)
Offered by Silicon Connect Ltd
Price: 23.19

5.0 out of 5 stars The BiZ, 28 Jun 2013
Works well with my DELL Inspiron 5150, which requires 130W.
The laptop senses and controls the power output level and this all works fine.
It doesn't look like what I expected, but appears to be genuine DELL

PowerSmart [98Wh,6600mAh,14.80V ] Replacement Laptop Battery for UK Dell Latitude 100L, Dell Inspiron 1150, Dell Inspiron 5150, Dell Inspiron 5160, Compatible part numbers of Dell: 310-5205, 310-5206, 312-0079, 312-0296, 451-10117, 451-10183, 6T473, 7T670, 8Y849, 9T686, BATDW00L, F0590A01, J2328,
Offered by ukbattery
Price: 41.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 28 Jun 2013
Takes a full charge. THe laptop power meter confirms usage from 100% to 0% , unlike a similar battery that I bought that would only charrge up to 80% and died at 42% when it was first bought.

I would definitely buy another replacement from the PowerSmart Brand.

Calculus Made Easy
Calculus Made Easy
Price: 4.04

2.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE, 25 Jun 2013
I navigated to this book by seaching for the 1998 edition, which I enjoyed so much I fancied a Kindle edition.
Having found the paperback versionCalculus Made Easy with images of the expected cover, showing the authors as Silvanus P Thompson and Martin Gardner, I selected the Kindle option from the available formats table.
This took me to the page for "Calculus made easy by Silvanus P Thompson" on Kindle.

The first three lines of the Product description currently say:
"Review
'Martin Gardner is one of the great intellects produced in this country.' - Douglas Hofstadter
'For more than half a century, Martin Gardner has been the single brightest beacon defending rationality and good science.' - Stephen Jay Gould</B "

Thus seeming to confirming Martin Gardiner as co-author. However this version of the book is from a 1942 reprint. The preface is dated 1911, a few years before Martin Gardner was born.

I am disappointed. The 1998 version is in modern english, but sticks to the essence of the original version. It has updated examples, not mentioning farthings and groats. The newer version speaks to you, now. In this day and age the style and content of the original version is a little distracting.

I believe this book to be a classic, whichever version you buy, but the marketing leaves a lot to be desired.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 4, 2013 3:33 PM BST

HTC One SV Case HTC One SV Hard Hybrid Cover (Black)
HTC One SV Case HTC One SV Hard Hybrid Cover (Black)
Offered by PJA Distribution Ltd
Price: 2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, 3 May 2013
The case changes the white HTC One SV LTE into a black phone, which I like.
THe case fits well and feels like quality material. It actually appears to be part of he phone.
The top and bottom of the phone are bare, protected only by the way the case juts out by a milimetre. This does seem adequate.
A standard screen protecto is provided.
I have bought a slip case, which is meant for this phone. The phone with the Hybrid Cover fitted, fit perfectly well into the slip case.
If I had to decide againl, I would definitely buy this.

iGloo Leather Pouch Case Cover Sleeve with Pull Tab For The HTC One SV Mobile Phone - Black
Offered by iGloo Accessories
Price: 3.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, 3 May 2013
Its cheap and does the job.
Its not made of leather but some fabric backed substitute leather.
It fits the phone well.
Overall it does not look too bad and does protect the phone.
The Tag/ribbon which you pull to eject the phone is fixed about half way down inside of the case, This means that you have to be arefull to insert the phone with the tag lying along the inside cove that it is attached to, otherwise the phone forces the ribbon to bend arounnd the bottom of the phone, pullig the tag into the case, making it difficult to extact the tag and the phone.
When you insert the phone correctly the tag trails out of the case by about an inch.
Overall, given that there is currently no quality similar case ( as ther is for th HTC Desire HD) and given the low price and the fact that it does do the job I am happy with it.
However I have made some modifications it. I put a half inch slit in the case about a half inch from the open end of the case on the side where the tag ribbon needs to lie. I have fed the tag ribbon through he hole, so tha the tag ribbon always lies on te correct side. The slit is terminated at each end with a small round hole, produced by a hole punnch, in order to stop the slit from tearing.
I'm considering shortening the tag ribbon.

With a couple of tiny modifications it could be so much better.

HTC One SV LTE Sim Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)
HTC One SV LTE Sim Free Smartphone - White (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 May 2013
upgraded from an HTC Desire HD, following an unfortunate accident.
THe new phone battery life is around three days instead of two.
It's lighter than my old phone. Screen sizes are the same. Case dimentions are close, but a new slip case was required.
I prefered the E-mail browser on he old phone. To get just unread mail you have to switch to a different filter and back to the "unread mail" filter,
On th plus side the new phone has 8gig built in ,plus interna memory, which is just under one gig. It has an SD slot and I've added 32gig. It also has a much more recent version of Android, wheras the Desire HD can't be upgraded beyond 2.xx.
Generally, in use, it is much the same as the old phone.
Basically, its not wrth upgrading from the excellent HTC Desire HD if you already have one, but if you are choosing between them the newer HTC One SV LTE is worth the difference in price, currently around an exta 50.00

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (Nintendo 3DS)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by ZavviOutlet
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good game, 8 Jan 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Ace Combat: Assault Horizon Legacy. A good game.

Expecting a 3DS for Chrismas I looked around for a few games including flight sims. At any rate all the games I chose had four or more stars in the ratings. I liked the look of this game but chose Pilotwings Resort over this game for the simple reason that there was no star rating and no review write up. Certainly Pilotwings ResortPilotwings Resort (Nintendo 3DS) lives up to the reviews, although it is completely different from the game under review.
Immediately following Chrsitmas this game has halfed in price and so I bought it.
Whereas Pilotwings Resort is simply about controlling whatever you are flying and all about fun: Ace Combat: Assault Horison Legacy is a true combat simulation.

I have flown the first six missions in easy mode, nevertheless you still face a challenge. Each mission gets progressively harder as the story line unfolds.
The mission environment feels, looks and reacts realistically as if in a 3D universe. You fly in real time to the destination of your choice. The enemy planes are restricted to the laws of physics. Apart from avoiding and attacking other aircraft you fly around buildings to avoid ground to air missiles and dive to attack ships, vehicles and SAM sites.

Yes the game is exiting! I found myself moving the 3DS around so much while I was playing that I had to turn off the 3D visuals in order to see what I was doing. I have had similar experiences in Super Mario 3D land.Super Mario 3D Land (Nintendo 3DS)

Apart from the strategy aspect, I have previously found found that other flight sims of this ilk often leave the aircraft control almost impossilbe to deal with. However, this game does give you control of your aircraft.

The grey joystick button of the 3DS acts as you would expact of an aircraft control stick. Moving the button to left or right causes the aircraft to bank to the left or right. Moving the joystick up or down causes the aircraft to do the reverse i.e. up=joystick forward= point the nose of the aircraft down.

You can chose a variety of aircraft to fly. The graphics are good. In the missions I have tried so far, I have not had to land or take off. The aircraft is aready flying at the start of a mission.

There are lots more features that I haven't covered as I have not looked at them properly.

Due to the fact tha I have not yet played more than the first few missions I give it four stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2012 7:15 AM GMT

EMU 61 LONGboard MIDI Controller/Synthesizer
EMU 61 LONGboard MIDI Controller/Synthesizer

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected value - E-Mu Longboard, 2 Jan 2012
I wanted a keyboard which would allow me the freedom to just pick it up and play without the hassle of plugging in power supplies, sound modules or amplifiers.
A midi controller keyboard sounded like a good bet and after considering several write ups, some for, some against. I bought a E-Mu Longboard from Amazon. It arrived in double quick time just before Christmas.
I have had one set of batteries in the keboard since it arrived and have played it for around half an hour each day and it is still running after nine days.
It is a lot heavier than I expected. However I can comfortably sit with it resting on my lap, but I am sure that a child or my wife would not be comfortable using it in this way.
I have to use headphones anyway, so as not to annoy anyone. The sound though the headphones is clear with no background noise.
The sounds on it are brilliant. In particular the piano, electric piano, organ sounds are notably realistic. Hitting a key softly and then gradually harder produces the different sounds I would expect from a real piano.
The keys offer resitance to being pressed. The feel is that the key is mounted on a stiff clock spring rather than simply being heavy I.E the further you press the more resistance. It may have something to do with the after touch facility - after pressing the key down and then pressing a little harder the sound will change appropriately for the instrument sound being used.
The controls are straight forward and the most useful controllers are all available though the knobs, as opposed to linking it to a computer and setting parameters.
There is no facility, that I have found so far, to change key or fine tune the instrument. I would like to play along with a record having tuned the keyboard so that I am playing in the key I would like to finally perform it in.
The keyboard split button was a little difficut to get the hang of. It does work the way the manual says but the explanation needs a little more clarification.
Any program changes or settings are lost when the keyboard is powered down. I don't think this is the case if using a PC to set parameters. However I haven't tried this yet.
I think that the keybord is definitely good enough to use on stage.
All in all I "love" this keyboard. I think it is amazing value.