Profile for LoBo > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Punisher [Blu-ray]
The Punisher [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Dolph Lundgren

3.0 out of 5 stars "What do you call 125 murders in 5 years? Work in progress", 24 April 2013
This review is from: The Punisher [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I have had this on on DVD for many years, but i now it's been some years since the last time i saw it. I must say i liked it better before, but it is still good. I seem to remember it was more bloody, but to my suprise it was not. I liked the music made by Dennis Dreith.

I think Dolph Lungren suits this role rather nicely. He does most of his own stunts in this film. I liked many of the shootouts. I think the fight scenes was not as good. Dolph seems to fight slow in this film. It was nice to finally see this again now on Blu-ray in 1920◊1080 resolution with lossless audio.

Picture quality: 4/5

Don't believe the back cover and people saying it has poor picture quality. This is film is not in 1080i and 1.78:1. The running time is not in 85 minutes. It is 89 min and in 1080p and in it's original aspect ratio 1.85:1. Anchor Bay made a mistake of not double checking the back cover for mistakes, and this errors happend. I saw some people complain about the picture quality. Some thought it was an PAL upscale, no doubt because it said 1080i and 85 min on the back. And some others thought it didn't have so good picture quality. I don't agree, but that is ok.

This looks pretty good to me. It has an average of 29.98 in bitrate. That is high. The details and sharpness looks very much improved to me compared to the previous DVDs. Seems like no digital noise reduction was used. It does look grainy as it should be, but not all the film grain is grain on this Blu-ray. I noticed some looked like noise. The black levels isn't perfect. It looks a little washed out, but i have seen much worse examples. This is not the film with the most strong colours, but there is a scene at the end with strong colours.

Audio quality: 3.5/5

A German Blu-ray edition was also released, but it only has the English audio in heavily compressed DVD quality, Dolby Digital 2.0.
So, this Blu-ray has the best audio quality.
I watched the film with the LPCM: 2.0 track. Yes, it sounds a bit dated. No, bass from the guns or explosions. I didn't hear any Stereo separation either, even though it was mixed in Dolby Stereo. Perhaps it had subtle separation or i missed them. The assault rifle with the silencer The Punisher uses at the end, sounds fake as most weapons with silencers does in films.

Film: 3.5/5
Overall: 3.5/5

The Quiet Earth (1985) (Blu-Ray)
The Quiet Earth (1985) (Blu-Ray)
Dvd ~ Bruno Lawrence
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

3.0 out of 5 stars Just OK, 22 April 2013
I thought i might like this better than i did, but it did not happen. Perhaps i had too much high hopes about this film. I
didn't understand some things in the film. I think more interesting things should have happend.

Picture quality: 3.5/5

Looking at the comparison at "Caps-a-Holic.com"
You can see it's better than the best DVD release (Anchor Bay). The film has an average of 17.99 in bitrate.
Despite the film being in 1080i50 and only taking up 11.89 GB,i think it looked reasonably good.
I have seen Blu-ray films with worse picture quality. Yes, this does problems with the
film grain looking more like noise and some compression problems, but i must say it didn't bother me.

I am pretty sure Koch Media used an older HD master that was used on HD channels on TV. That's why i believe it
doesn't have pristine quality and it's in 1080i50, which is the format used on HD channels in Europe.
I was glad i didn't listen to other people who said it had very poor picture quality.

Audio quality: 3.5/5

The audio quality wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. Though, the dialog was mixed a bit low the music too high.
Not much to complain about. There is some surprisingly good Stereo separation for an older film.

Film: 3/5
Overall: 3/5

Once Upon a Time in America (C'era una volta in America) - Extended Edition [Blu-Ray]
Dvd ~ Danny Aiello
Offered by VECOSELL

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 12 April 2013
I remember the first time i watched it on television many years ago, that i enjoyed watching. Not long after i watched, i bought the DVD. I like the beautiful music made by Ennio Morricone in this film. And of course Robert De Niro as always does a very good job. I like this epic Crime/Drama, but i enjoy the first 2 hours most. It was nice to see this film again after i haven't watched it for several years.

Picture quality: 4/5

The talk about the huge compression problem didn't bother me. Though, the closer you sit to your tv or computer, the more you will notice the compression artifacts. If you sit farther away from the screen, you will notice it less like i do and did find it tolerable.

The newly found footage ranges from poor to OK. The worst scenes have very poor contrast and black levels and the other scenes looks closer to original cinema version. I would give the new scenes 3 in the picture quality rating and the others of course 4 as you can see.

The scenes we already know looks pretty good to me. They got a new 4K scan. The black levels are not perfect. They look millky and a bit washed out.

Audio quality: 4/5

The English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sounded good to me. The gunshots had surprisingly good bass and clarity. The music also sounded good. This is not the film with the most and best Stereo seperation, but ok.

Film: 4/5

Code of Silence [Blu-ray] [1985] [US Import]
Code of Silence [Blu-ray] [1985] [US Import]
Dvd ~ Ralph Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars "When I want your opinion, I'll beat it out of you",, 14 Sep 2012
It's been years since the last time i saw this on DVD. I don't think it's the best Chuck Norris film, but i have seen worse films from him. I think the story was reasonably good for Chuck Norris film. I also think he isn't a such bad actor as some say he is.

I have seen poorer actors than him. Not Chuck's most action packed film, but it mostly has shootouts and a few fight scenes. I must say l really liked the 80's Synthesizer music made by David Michael Frank. I think he did a good job with the music.

Picture quality: 4.5/5

Wow, i was impressed by the picture quality. It has much more details and sharpness than the DVD releases. I think the colours was strong and looked nice. It also have no use noise reduction which i think no film should have.

So, the heavy film grain is completely intact it should always be. I think the heavy film grain works for this type of film and gives it a gritty, dirty appearance. The average bitrate is 35 kbps, which is very high and appreciated by me. Many studios skimp on the bitrate.

Audio quality: 3.5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio Mono track was pretty much just like i expected out of this film. The Magnum and Shotgun Chuck uses i heard a little bass when he fired them. The music which i mentioned actually sounds good to my ears. Clear and not thin.

I think the dialog was mixed a bit low, so i had to turn up the volume in dialog scenes and a bit down in action scenes. Too bad this film wasn't mixed in Stereo, but what can you do? Although, MGM could have made a good Stereo remix out the Mono track. At least the Lossless Mono audio sounds improved compared the DVDs.

Overall: 4/5
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 3, 2012 11:51 PM BST

Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001) ( Le pacte des loups ) ( Lupus dei - Le pacte des loups ) (Blu-Ray)
Dvd ~ Samuel Le Bihan
Offered by DaaVeeDee-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars The Beast, 9 Aug 2012
This is isn't the best film i have see, but some good action scenes and cinematography. I think the story is good and Mark Dacascos is great as Mani.

Picture quality: 4/5

I only saw this on DVD for many years. I think the picture quality is much better than my DVD. Even though this uses an older HD master i think it still looked good. No DNR has been used and the colours, details looks good to me. The Beast which i believe was mostly made using CGI, looked surprisingly good to me in 1080p.

Audio quality: 4/5

This has only 1 audio track, the French: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 . I think it sounded good with some bass with the punches and kicks. That special sword the villain uses makes good use of the Stereo effects. Neat effect. Those gunshots also had nice bass and being loud.

The Film: 3.5/5

The Thing [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
The Thing [Blu-ray] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Kurt Russell

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 29 July 2012
I have always enjoyed this film since i first saw it. I like the atmosphere and the claustrophobic tension. The music is also something i enjoy in this film. I still think monster effects and gore looks very good. I think the cast of this film does a very good job, in particularly Kurt Russel and Wilford Brimley.

I also have The Thing (2011), which i think isn't as good as this, but the monster effects in this looks much better to me than the mediocre use of CGI in prequel.

Picture quality: 4/5

Universal Studios strikes again with DNR. This BD has DNR applied, when the HD DVD Universal previously released didn't or used less DNR. I don't think it was wise of Universal to apply DNR to soften the picture quality along with erasing the film grain. Trying to make it look "newer", "better" and like it was a more recent film shot on Digital cameras. Not the worst first case of DNR usage, but could looked at least looked better if they didn't use DNR.

Moving on, despite the use of DNR, it still looks much better than my old DVD. Which i think is from the early 00's. The colours looks nicer and of course better black levels. More details and sharpness is evident and appreciated. The monsters, blood and gore effects now looks improved and more realistic in 1080p.

Audio quality: 4/5

The English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 sounded good to my ears. It's been a few years since the last time i saw it on DVD, but of course it sounds better due to it now having lossless audio quality, as every film or tv-series should have on Blu-ray. Sadly not every releases have that.

Not the film with most Stereo effects i have seen, but i was happy with the audio quality. The music comes to mind, which i think sounded good. No bass from explosions, flamethrowers or guns.

Film: 4.5/5

The Mechanic (Charles Bronson) Blu-ray
The Mechanic (Charles Bronson) Blu-ray
Dvd ~ Charles Bronson

3.0 out of 5 stars Hitmen, 20 April 2012
Not the best Charles Bronson film i have seen, but some good action scenes and acting by Bronson. This is more of a crime film than action film. The plot is nothing new, but it works.

Picture quality: 4/5

This looks pretty grainy as it should be and there seems to be no use of digital noise reduction. Which is good. Euro Video may have used an old HD master. Some good details and sharpness. Not the best picture quality i have seen.

Audio quality: 3/5

Only a lossy DTS: Mono with 768 kbps. Euro Video was lazy and cheap for not using lossless sound. This should have had lossless audio quality, but did they bother, no!. There is no excuse for not including lossless audio. The disc only used nearly 21GB out of 25, so they could easily have included it. Moving on and it does sound compressed and not so good. The music sounds muffled and compressed, but dialog sounds better and fuller. Gunshots sounds loud and reasonably clear, but no bass as expected.

Overall: 3/5

Eraserhead [Blu-ray] [Region B Import] Starring Jack Nance, Charlotte Stewart, Allen Joseph, et al. (Blu-ray - 2012)
Offered by Topbilliger

4.0 out of 5 stars Strange, but good., 18 April 2012
I saw part of the scene where they had the chicken on tv many years ago and i liked what i saw. My family who also
watched tv said it was a sick film so they changed the channel. Ever since then i have wanted to watch it in it's entirely. It is
good waited because now i could watch it in HD quality and lossless sound. I am glad i bought it.

I think the character Henry was interesting + i liked the strange atmosphere. David Lynch sure made the film look cold,
strange, bleak and uninhabitable. That family he meets was strange and the conversations had that awkward silence
vibe.
Also that peculiar baby who i think looks like an alien. I was surprised when the mother tried to kiss Henry. I liked the
shocked facial expressions Henry made. I think it was a bit hard to interpret this film. I enjoyed it.

Picture quality: 4/5

The film takes up circa 18 GB and have an average of 24 in bitrate. I was surprised how good it looked. Since this was a
very
low budget film made by 20,000 USD. Not the sharpest film i have watched, but i didn't expect it to look like Avatar
either. I think close ups shots looked good and detailed.

That baby who has many close ups looked detailed and sharp. Seems like no DNR or EE was used which made me
happy. It looked grainy as it should do. I like that it was filmed in black and white because i think it suits this film just
fine and i think it makes it more atmospheric. I think the black levels looked good.

Audio quality: 4/5

The audio is in LPCM 2.0 {Dolby Surround} remix with 2304 kbps, 24-bit. I was just as surprised as the picture quality how
good it sounded. Eraserhead is filled with urban noises. Not much actual music. I heard some hissing, but was not a
major problem for me.

Very little Stereo effects. You basically can count all of them on 1 hand. The dialog sounded mostly clear and fine to
my ears. There was also some surprisingly good bass in a few scenes. I think it was a pretty good BD edition by
Capelight Pictures.

Film: 4/5

Judge Dredd Blu-Ray Steelbook
Judge Dredd Blu-Ray Steelbook

3.0 out of 5 stars "I am the law!", 18 April 2012
This film is pretty similar to Demoltion Man. I think it`s a poorer than Demolition Man. I think it has some good action scenes. Sylvester Stallone does that funny thing with his mouth when he says I am the law!.

Picture quality: 4/5

I remember the quality was good and nothing wrong with it. Good sharpness and details.

Audio quality: 4/5

I did find it good and no flaws.

Replicant  [2001] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Replicant [2001] [US Import] [Blu-ray] [Region A]
Dvd ~ Michael Rooker

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film, 18 April 2012
I used to see this on my DVD several years ago. I still enjoy this film. I was most impressed by Jean Claude Van Damme
portryal of the Replicant. Very good job. I also did some stuff that i did find funny.

This doesn`t have the best or most action scenes i have seen in a Van Damme film. Marnie Alton who plays the kind
hooker was sexy. Michael Rooker who plays his nicely in my opinon.

Picture quality: 4/5

No pristine quality, but seems to have too low bitrate and contrast boosting. It wouldn`t have
hurt Lionsgate to have had higher bitrate. I hate it when studios as lazy and makes BDs with too low bitrate like this.

Audio quality: 4/5

The English: DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 audio track was good. I don`t remember any flaws with it.

Film: 4.5/5