Profile for P. Wagg > Reviews

Content by P. Wagg

P. Wagg "wonderfulwaggy" (Derby UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

2.0 out of 5 stars Written by Committee?, 5 July 2014
When we were kids, we'd spend hours writing a paragraph each of a story. Then we'd hack them together to make a story inventing bits in between to make the story flow even though there was no structure, no planned end. We'd invent situations at will with no regard to what had been written before. We thought we were brilliant but soon the stories were forgotten and we got on with life. If books like this one are the future then I am glad I've just reached 100 and won't have the
time to read more rubbish like this.

The Never List
The Never List
by Koethi Zan

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad Topic , badly written, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Never List (Paperback)
I hated this book, I have no idea why someone would want to invent such an horrible tale as this. How can they dream up such terror, such cruelty. I have to say, this is not an invention of a normal mind. I know horror occurs in real life and it is bad enough when it does, without having to read this trash.It is also so badly written , it doesn't flow, it jumps about, bits being made up so the story is complete. Utter trash. I wont even bother taking this to the charity shop, it is best burned.
Why did I buy it, advertising I suppose, I blame WH SMITH and Richard & Judy. TRASH

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

2.0 out of 5 stars good start but what a ramble, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Hardcover)
The opening incident in the book, the NY explosion and the introduction of the characters and the incidents that defines what the story is about is wonderful. At this point I was so excited by what was to come, thinking about all the directions it could take. Then the Vegas Bit, exciting to start with, but why oh why did it go on so long , why so many nights getting drunk, drugged up etc. After Boris, another main character is introduced, it could have ended sooner - why was it so drawn out.
The stupid journey back to NY, could have been a page rather than the dragged out episode it was.
I still loved some of the twists, some rather surprising.
I kept asking myself, is this the real America where youngsters get wasted on drugs and alcohol, full of despicable characters.
The Amsterdam bit was just a rambling drawn out mess, I could have easily have just given up reading it, if I hadn't invested so much time in it. I kept thinking that it will all be worthwhile, but all I could think when I had finished it, was how boring much of the story is, the side-tracking from important themes to irrelevant ones to even more irrelevant ones. It could have been a great book, just too long and rambling.

Gilda® Bean Bag Stocking Net - Flexible Super stretchy Inter Liner for Beanbags
Gilda® Bean Bag Stocking Net - Flexible Super stretchy Inter Liner for Beanbags
Offered by Gilda Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars why oh why didn't i listen to what other reviews said, 13 Jan 2014
I should have listened to all of the other one star reviews, suggest you read them and take note. Rubbish

The Universe Versus Alex Woods
The Universe Versus Alex Woods
by Gavin Extence

5.0 out of 5 stars Alex Woods & Me, 13 Jan 2014
I have always thought there is a right time to use certain a forbidden words or phrases, which I obviously cannot repeat here. In fact I don't think people use them enough, having said that, like any other word/phrase in the English Language, they should only be used in the correct situation, and not as an everyday insult. I like Alex for this alone.
Alex also came to the conclusion that everyone has the own right to choose a time to die, or in deed to make any choice that affect their own lives. Having lost a sister to a brain tumour and watching someone who once laughed, danced and was extremely happy with life, slowly deteriorate into a cabbage, I think we should all be allowed to make living wills and choose what we want should it happen to us.
I don't believe in God, I do not think that those who do have the right to determine others choices. I don't think that the medical profession has the right to override our choice.
All we need now are some MP's who have the guts to really fight for people's rights.

I do not care if some found the story predictable, for me it got over the importance of life choices better than any Dignitas person could.
Thanks so much Gavin for writing this book, in such an entertaining, amusing and thought provoking way and thanks for putting my thoughts into words.

Aeropress Coffee Maker + Extra 350 Micro Filters - Aerobie
Aeropress Coffee Maker + Extra 350 Micro Filters - Aerobie
Offered by Design 55 online

5.0 out of 5 stars saves loads of money by making better coffeee like Costa & Neros, 30 Dec 2013
So for Christmas I had a choice of two Gaggia machines £275 or £325 from Amazon. Now I like good coffee out at Costa or Neros by people who are trained to make good coffee. My old machine at home had long since bit the dust and I could never make the coffee like the professionals. So when I had my choice which expensive machine would make coffee like the pro's. Then I happened on the Aeropress and I thought for the price lets give it a go. All I can say is it's low tech easy to use and makes coffee at home better than I've ever been able to. Reading the instructions using 80c water rather than boiling make a huge difference to the taste. Plus I get to spend £300 at Costa and Nero's rather than a bit of shinny stainless on the kitchen counter!! .

Cloud Atlas [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
Cloud Atlas [DVD + UV Copy] [2013]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars As goog as the book, 27 Oct 2013
Cloud Atlas has long been my favourite book, see my review. I have listened to the audio CD over a long journey, and now I have seen the film.
It is more complicated than most films/books and takes a few brain cells to understand what is going on. Luckily, even at 65, I still have enough to enjoy this thoroughly clever and fantastic film. The acting and music is amazing too.

Destination Nowhere
Destination Nowhere

5.0 out of 5 stars destination - evrywhere, 28 July 2013
This review is from: Destination Nowhere (MP3 Download)
I saw Joel live at a gig at Madhouse at the brewhouse Burton on Trent. Amazing talent, bought his album there. Amazing acoustics , Amazing song writing talent, Amazing voice, with this combination it cannot be long before he becomes more wildly known. Brilliant

Heart Of Nowhere
Heart Of Nowhere

5.0 out of 5 stars another great album, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Heart Of Nowhere (MP3 Download)
Unlike other reviewers, I think that this album IS as good as the previous ones. I bought individual tracks to complete the album as I got the demo album free a few weeks ago. I agree with others that this album is expensive at £8.49. Keeping the prices down will deter people copying friends music, or downloading from spotify.

In A Perfect World (Deluxe)
In A Perfect World (Deluxe)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Voice, Amazing Music, Amazing Future, 21 Jun 2013
I got the free artist lounge EP a few weeks ago, and anyone considering this album could always try that first, like me you'll probably buy the whole album. Of course after Glastonbury 2013, I expect Kodaline to be more widely known.
This music really suits my tastes, which I suppose are quite varied, good dog-walking music. Another reviewer compared them to Mumford & Sons, I think they are another Cold Play and a couple of years down the line could overtake them.

If you are buying the deluxe album, it is cheaper top buy the non deluxe version, and buy the extra 3 tracks separately.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 15, 2013 10:38 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5