Profile for Robert J. Clark > Reviews

Content by Robert J. Clark

Robert J. Clark "Coldisland"

Ram memory upgrades 8GB kit (4GBx2) DDR3 PC3 10600 1333Mhz for your Apple iMac and Macbook Pro computer
Offered by KOMPBAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy and cheap upgrade for iMac 2011 users, 28 Sep 2011
I wanted to upgrade the memory in my new 2011 iMac so that I could run Windows 7 in Parallels, and simultaneously support video/photo editing. I replaced the original 4Gb of RAM with four of these 4Gb memory sticks, and the machine just doesn't slow down, ever, no matter how many applications I run.

16Gb may be excessive for most users, but this upgrade should cover the whole life of this machine (I hope 5 years plus). It is an easy 10-minute job to upgrade the RAM on the iMac (search YouTube for some excellent How-To guides), and the prices are now very reasonable. Given the high spec of the new iMac, I think this upgrade is worthwhile for heavy users.

5 stars because it is so much cheaper than the official Apple upgrade - this "Crucial"-made memory does not seem to have any compatibility issues with any Apple products.

The Dilbert Principle (A Dilbert Book)
The Dilbert Principle (A Dilbert Book)
by Scott Adams
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars Reinforce your cynicism, 10 Aug 2010
We all know Dilbert, and many of us also know Scott Adams' lively blog, so it's no surprise that this book takes the same dryly cynical view of life, relationships and work that many of us share without realizing. It's slightly dated but deadly accurate - it articulates the madness we see around us and exposes some of the tricks used by colleagues in their climb up the greasy pole.

This well-structured and accessible book blends written text and classic Dilbert cartoons, which keeps the book poignant, light and memorable in equal measure.

Very highly recommended for anyone who would like to replace their vague work fears and frustrations with an irrefutable deconstruction of the corporate world.

Red Dead Revolver (PS2)
Red Dead Revolver (PS2)
Offered by STOCKTASTIC

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this game, wait for Red Dead Redemption, 24 Mar 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I've been getting more and more excited about the forthcoming "Red Dead Redemption" so, through frustration, I bought this to get the juices flowing. Unfortunately, this game has been eclipsed since its release by a host of open world games, particularly on the PS3 and XBox 360, and its really showing its age. Its biggest contribution was to inspire Rockstar Games to develop what may well be the best game ever.

Instead, I'd recommend GTA IV for those who like open-world gameplay (and there are plenty of other latest generation titles if that doesn't float your boat), and if you really must have some cowboy action, Call of Juarez is worth a look, or you could just watch any of the classic westerns promoted on the Rockstar website.

I'm sure this was a good game in its day (2004), but the last 6 years have been cruel. If this was on PSP, I'd recommend it, but I can't do the same for anyone with a current games console.

Red Dead Redemption is due for release in mid-May - wait and get that instead!

50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do
50 Psychology Classics: Who We Are, How We Think, What We Do
by Tom Butler-Bowdon

4.0 out of 5 stars Where to start in psychology?, 24 Mar 2010
Like a lot of people, I've had a passing interest in all aspects of lay-psychology for a long time. Whether it's "body language" or "how to win friends and influence people", it always seemed to me that there was something deeper underpinning it all. So far as possible, I've avoided self-help books, which I tend to see as band-aid solutions or quackery.

This book is serious but accessible, and very well presented - it is structured logically a as reference text (I guess most people wouldn't read it cover to cover) and gives a very concise summary of each of the 50 selected books, followed by a little more detail about the style and scope of the contents.

There are two issue with the book, though. The first is that it is quite expensive for its stated aim, which is only to direct the reader to other, more substantial texts; however, this is definitely a book to be shared with like-minded friends, so this might not be a problem. Also, this book may be best read in conjunction with "50 self-help classics" by those more focussed on practical applications rather than general interest (although there is some cross-over).

Overall, this is an useful starting point for anyone trying to see the big picture of current psychological understanding. I bought 10 of the recommended books, and so far I'm very happy with my experience.

Acer 24-inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:9 FHD, 2ms, 40000:1, TCO03, Black)
Acer 24-inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:9 FHD, 2ms, 40000:1, TCO03, Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars PS3 owner's dream!, 2 Feb 2010
I got this monitor for work as half of a dual-monitor set-up. It works brilliantly with a DVI input, but the VGA performance isn't great - that doesn't bother me because I don't care about VGA, and I doubt many buyers would considering that a monitor this size would normally have a high-quality input.

I've since brought the monitor home to see if works with my PS3. It does, brilliantly at 720p, 1080i and 1080p! It doesn't have an HDMI input, though, so you would need to get an HDMI-DVI adapter (or a dedicated HDMI-DVI cable, as I did for about £12), but this doesn't affect the picture quality at all. It's worth remembering that this is just a monitor, not a TV, and therefore it can't play sound. You would need to find another way of outputting the audio - I use the horribly expensive Sony component output, and plug the stereo cables into a pair of wireless headphones.

I mention the limitations of this monitor only to guide other buyers - so long as you know what you want this monitor to do, it's brilliant, compact, understated and brilliantly priced. A winner!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2010 4:54 PM BST