Profile for CJ Twamley > Reviews

Amarna Sunrise: Egypt from Golden Age to Age of Heresy
Amarna Sunrise: Egypt from Golden Age to Age of Heresy
by Aidan Dodson

3.0 out of 5 stars Another good read from Aidan Dodson, 11 Nov 2014
Another good read from Aidan Dodson. If you have not read much about the precursors to the Amarna period the book will satisfy although it contains little that is actually new.

The Material World of Ancient Egypt
The Material World of Ancient Egypt
by William H. Peck

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful book on the subject, 15 May 2014
A useful book. It leans a bit too much on one source (with acknowledgment) ie 'Ancient Egyptian Materials and Technology' edited by Nicholson and Shaw and a copy of which I have.

Who Were the Pharaohs?: A History of Their Names with a List of Cartouches
Who Were the Pharaohs?: A History of Their Names with a List of Cartouches
by Stephen Quirke

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful reference for those interested in Egyptology., 27 Dec 2013
A very useful book containing the names and titles of the Pharaohs of Egypt. It is a reissue of a previous book on the same subject by the same author, but now contains some unnecessary padding. Recommended for enthusiasts of Ancient Egypt and interested people who whould like to be able to read the names and titles when visiting Egypt or local museums.

The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
The Qur'an (Oxford World's Classics)
by M. A. S. Abdel Haleem

4.0 out of 5 stars A book that most of us (Westerners) think we know about, but few have read., 4 Aug 2013
To understand the modern world I think that everyone should at least read the Koran, Das Kapital, the Bible and Mein Kampf. We can only comment upon the state we find the world in by understanding how it got there the, ideas that formed and the minds that shaped it. In order for a reader from the western tradition to appreciate the Koran it is desirable that the bible is also read, so that the differences and, indeed, similarities can be appreciated. This is, of course, only a translation. Muslim friends tell me that it should really be read in the original classical Arabic. I can appreciate this having translated ancient texts into English and noted that many ideas are culture and language specific.

Communist Manifesto
Communist Manifesto
by Karl Marx

4.0 out of 5 stars An important work which, I suspect, everyone has heard of, but few have read., 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Communist Manifesto (Paperback)
To understand the modern world I think that everyone should at least read Das Kapital, the Koran, the Bible and Mein Kampf. We can only comment upon the state we find the world in by understanding how it got there the, ideas that formed and the minds that shaped it. The Communist Manifesto contains most of the ideas in Das Kapital without giving the reasons. The book does not disappoint, although the ideas are now dated.

Mein Kampf: 1-2
Mein Kampf: 1-2
by Adolf Hitler

4.0 out of 5 stars A well known, but (I suspect) little read book., 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mein Kampf: 1-2 (Paperback)
To understand the modern world I think that everyone should at least read Mein Kampf, Das Kapital, the Koran and the Bible. We can only comment upon the state we find the world in by understanding how it got there the, ideas that formed and the minds that shaped it. The book does not disappoint, although the ideas are now dated. The world that Marx inhabited was very different to the one we now live in. Mein Kampf was something of a surprise. I was expecting a rant, but found a well reasoned, though flawed argument (although a tedious read). The fact that such evil can masquerade as reasoned argument must act as a warning to us to beware that such things are not allowed to grow in our society again.

Wrecks & Relics
Wrecks & Relics
by Ken Ellis

5.0 out of 5 stars The latest edition of an old favourite., 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: Wrecks & Relics (Hardcover)
I've bought copies of Wrecks and Relics for many years now as new editions become available. To any aviation enthusiasts like me the tome is indispensible and keeps one up to date with the preservation scene and movements of favourite airframes within and outside the country.

Das Kapital: A Critique of Political Economy (Skeptical Reader Series)
Das Kapital: A Critique of Political Economy (Skeptical Reader Series)
by Karl Marx

4.0 out of 5 stars A political tretise which everyone interested in the subject should read., 4 Aug 2013
To understand the modern world I think that everyone should at least read Das Kapital, the Koran, the Bible and Mein Kampf. We can only comment upon the state we find the world in by understanding how it got there the, ideas that formed and the minds that shaped it. The book does not disappoint, although the ideas are now dated. The world that Marx inhabited was very different to the one we now live in.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 29, 2013 1:47 PM GMT

The Devil's Dictionary
The Devil's Dictionary
by Ambrose Bierce

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent humorous dictionatry, 4 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Devil's Dictionary (Paperback)
I'd always wanted to read Ambrose Bierce's work having heard excerpts from it in the past. It doesn't disappoint although some of his definitions are now somewhat dated and refer to events which we do not now recognise.