Profile for A B Brown > Reviews

Content by A B Brown

A B Brown "mahout" (England)

The Happiness Hypothesis: Putting Ancient Wisdom to the Test of Modern Science
The Happiness Hypothesis: Putting Ancient Wisdom to the Test of Modern Science
by Jonathan Haidt

5.0 out of 5 stars a guide to being less judgemental, 7 Feb. 2009
I am a GP and I have read this book more than once over the last 2-3 years. I keep copies of it to lend to patients and many others have ordered it at my suggestion.
The book brings together several important strands of life in a way which certainly makes sense to me and apparently to others. I suspect it will appeal most to people who are more logical in their thinking patterns and find it difficult to understand the apparent irrationality of certain types of belief and behaviour (in themselves and others).
Personally I found the idea of a tiny mahout of conscious rational thinking trying to control the charging elephant of subconcious drives very easy to explain to my patients.
I found a strong resonance with the section on the different kinds of love. My own Version of this chapter would be titled - "Fall in Love, Fall in Lust, but Grow a Trust". and don't have children with someone until you have known them for at least 4 years.
Like most really useful treatments in medicine this book will probably appeal more to people who need its advice least - because by buying the book they have already shown a desire to understand themselves and change. Peope who are sure that they are "right" are the ones who need to see the light under the shadow of the Elephant.