Profile for Raspberry > Reviews

Content by Raspberry

Raspberry "Raspberry" (Surrey, UK)

Angry Men and the Women Who Love Them: Breaking the Cycle of Physical and Emotional Abuse
by Paul Hegstrom

5.0 out of 5 stars Why are some women drawn to angry men?, 10 Feb 2009
Fascinated as to why some people are drawn to repeat disastrous relationships; this book was suggested to be by an old friend from America from where the author, a priest comes. Paul Hegstrom and his wife are very open about their relationship, what happened next, and how in the end - after many years of separation, they were able to begin to trust and then love and marry one another once again. Hegstrom looks into his past, explains how he become an abuser. He recognised that he had the ability to change and writes about how hard it was for him to recognise his own problems and grow through them. Although a practicing Christian priest this book doesn't suggest that all it down to God's intervention, far from it. Hegstrom is very honest and the book is a good read for people of faith and those with an interest in personal relationship.

The Mixed-up Chameleon (Picture Puffin)
The Mixed-up Chameleon (Picture Puffin)
by Eric Carle

5.0 out of 5 stars Books that bridge the age and culture gap, 10 Feb 2009
I took several of Eric Carle's books to Sri Lanka when I was a voluntary teacher in a school in the hill country. The children were enraptured by the colours, the ideas and I was able to use this book as a teaching resource with children aged 4 - 10. I imagine that if reading this with young children anywhere one can play with the fun pictures and with the older child explore that child's desire to fit in with a certain group rather than recognise how wonderful that person is in his/her own right. So it looks simple but like all the well thought out Eric Carle books is a treasure trove for the adult reader and the child.

Chicken Dance
Chicken Dance
by Jacques Couvillon

4.0 out of 5 stars Chicken Dance, 10 Feb 2009
This review is from: Chicken Dance (Paperback)
I'd heard about this book on Radio 4 and was intrigued by the comments. The reviewers had commented that the book began very well but seemed to loose the impetus in the middle pages then almost redeem itself towards the latter part of the book. I found myself agreeing with every word I had heard. The early pages made me laugh, the middle section I found stodgy, the conclusion was good and maybe if I was of the age group at which this is aimed I might have enjoyed it all the more. If the reader is a quick reader I'd recommend this book but is a ponderous reader I wonder if s/he would continue to the end?

How to Have a Healthy Divorce: A Relate Guide
How to Have a Healthy Divorce: A Relate Guide
by Paula Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Have a Healthy Divorce, 10 Feb 2009
When my husband and I finally gave up on trying to stay together we asked our RELATE counsellor how one got amicably divorced. She suggested this book. What a joy to have a non American book, one that treats both parties as adults and acknowledges and explains the stages of bereavement that I suspect are involved in all divorces.

It is as it says on the cover "A step-by-step practical guide for anyone going through a separation or divorce" offering ideas and actions plans to help the reader work through a really tough time.

Excellent