Profile for Mrs. Margaret E. Wykes > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Margaret ...

Mrs. Margaret E. Wykes "Bard Brain"

The Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology - Volume 2: Mezzo-Soprano/Belter Book Only (Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology (Songbooks))
by Richard Walters

2.0 out of 5 stars anthology 1, 28 July 2012
Would have been great to see a list of contents before purchase. Very few songs are suitable ( funny/ touching; familiar; inoffensive) for our purpose: a group singing at a church 'do'.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 12:04 PM BST

52 Ways Of Looking At A Poem: or How Reading Modern Poetry Can Change Your Life: A Poem for Every Week of the Year
by Ruth Padel

4.0 out of 5 stars Bard Brain, 18 July 2009
This book will be valuable for my U3A Poetry Reading group.
Few of us have any literary expertise or knowledge about how to appreciate a poem - we read aloud and enjoy poems which interest us: humour,emotional depth, beauty, quirkiness - but are not really able to critique usefully so the possibility of progress is limited.
Ruth Padel's book gives me the opportunity to introduce and read out a piece and then go over Ruth's critique and hand out copies for members to think about at home.
My reading of 52 Ways has greatly enhanced my understanding.
I did get borrow the book from the library beforehand so knew what I was getting.