ARRAY(0xb345dae0)

Profile for Boon Yew Chew > Reviews

Content by Boon Yew Chew

Boon Yew Chew (London, UK)

101 Design Ingredients to Solve Big Tech Problems
101 Design Ingredients to Solve Big Tech Problems
by Eewei Chen
Price: 18.42

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, punchy, useful, 6 Sep 2013
I purchased the digital version of this book, which has been surprisingly easy to read and flip to and fro. I found some of the ingredients "obvious", as you would any "ingredient book", but I liked the fact that it was all well contained in an organised way, which made it perfect for dipping in and out again and again.

The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
The Sketchnote Handbook: The Illustrated Guide to Visual Notetaking
by Mike Rohde
Price: 13.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple. Concise. Fun., 29 Dec 2012
This is a fairly quick book to read cover to cover. It contains a lot of useful tips for anyone looking to try sketchnotes as a way to capture meeting or event notes effectively and methodically, so it's a good how-to book on visual notetaking, and less of a "drawing" book. The book does best here to present sketchnotes as a very accessible tool that anyone can apply, whether they great at drawing/sketching/illustration or not. So, anyone looking to get into it straightaway should find this book effective.

As a sketchnoter myself, I find myself going back to Mike's lessons on sketchnoting. They're battle-tested and built on years of practice, despite the fun and accessible nature of the book. Sketchnoting is a personal endeavour and it takes effort to build mastery around it. The book covers enough ground that even regular practitioners like me continually use the book as a reference to build on. It's a keeper for years to come.

Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim
Hario Coffee Mill Ceramic Slim
Offered by Japan Syndrome
Price: 10.66

1.0 out of 5 stars Locking nut fails, 6 Nov 2011
I bought this at a artisan coffee shop, so I'm not sure if the unit I got is from the same source but I'm pretty sure it's the same model.

The problem I had with this mill is that the locking nut wears away really easily, especially when coffee beans get stuck in the burrs. This has happened to me twice already, and the first time the shop gave me a replacement which worked for awhile but the same problem cropped up again.

I'm very disappointed with the quality of this product and even though the grinds were satisfactory for my aeropress, the wearing out of the nut meant that I could no longer operate the grinder.

Avoid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 7, 2013 11:16 PM BST

Dyson DC22 Allergy Dyson Baby Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner for Allergy Sufferers
Dyson DC22 Allergy Dyson Baby Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner for Allergy Sufferers

5.0 out of 5 stars fairly lightweight, strong suction, nice to use, 21 May 2009
This is the best vacuum cleaner I've used so far, and it's my first bagless and my first Dyson.

It's fairly lightweight for its size and bulk, and I like the way it packs quite neatly, and I like that it doesn't have a bag and that it does a good job of sucking the floor and carpets. I love the button that you press to release it off of carpets so the carpets don't stick to the sucker head - conveniently placed where the handle is so it's easy to use.

I also like the accessories that come with it by default - the crevice tool and the brush. I have skin allergies so I'm happy this thing has a HEPA filter which doesn't stink when it blows out air.

I don't mind the noise which I think is comparable to other vacuums I've used, and I don't mind the slightly smaller dust container. I do have to empty it out after 2 or 3 runs. I'm also fairly short so the wand is quite a good length for me, not too short or long.

The only thing they could've done better is that when it packs up, the head kind of sticks out so it doesn't look like as compact and neat. But this is totally superficial. I love this baby dyson.