Profile for Rich McG > Reviews

Content by Rich McG

Rich McG (Manchester, UK)

Samsung PS51E6500 51-inch Widescreen Full HD Smart 3D Plasma TV with Freeview and 2 Glasses

5.0 out of 5 stars Great TV for a great price, 25 Dec. 2012
I'm amazed that this TV has so few reviews on Amazon at the moment. It's a great TV, currently available at a steal of a price.

Instead of writing a great long essay, I think I'll summarise my observations:

- Most importantly, the picture quality is great. The picture is lush, colourful and deep (slightly tweaked to my preferences but I'm no calibrator). Any natural grain is kept intact if noise reduction is off. The only negative really is that the blacks are not as deep as you'll find on Panasonic plasmas, but they're still very good. Bear in mind this is a plasma so a break-in period is recommended - don't expect amazing picture straight out of the box.
- Panel uniformity is, to my eyes, perfect. No banding, pooling, discoloured blobs, or anything of the like can be found on my set. Miles better than any LCD/LED I've seen.
- Motion is handled with ease. Cinema Smooth mode plays films in proper 24p (at 96Hz), so no worries here. Also no issues with 60hz/50hz or interlaced material. The motion is almost a revelation coming from an LCD. There are no frame creation options but they're not needed.
- The 3D is very convincing, and way better than my local cinema (which surprised me). Slight crosstalk pops up occasionally but it's never much of an issue unless the 3D depth dial is turned way up. The supplied glasses are a bit flimsy, but work fine, and hey, they're free!
- No problems with gaming either. The input lag is indiscernible and pretty much as good as you'll find anywhere, and combined with the picture quality it's pretty jaw-dropping at times.
- Image retention or 'burn in' is almost completely non-existent so far. I've only a seen a slight shading where the black bars have been after watching a widescreen movie, but they evaporate almost instantly.
- The TV makes a quiet hum when displaying brighter images but nothing distracting unless you're about 3 feet away with the sound muted.
- Connectivity is slightly limited, and is probably the only area where this TV falls short compared to its more expensive competitors. 3 HDMI sockets (most have 4), no audio out except optical, no headphone jack, etc. Check the technical specs if this may impact you.
- SmartTV functionality seems hit and miss (iPlayer keeps giving me errors), but it connects to my wifi with no problems. Not a real area of interest for me though, to be honest.

I haven't tested out all that this TV can do yet, but I've lived with it for a month and am thrilled every time I turn it on.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 1, 2013 5:27 PM GMT

Out of Africa - Limited Edition Digibook [Blu-ray] [1985]
Out of Africa - Limited Edition Digibook [Blu-ray] [1985]
Dvd ~ Robert Redford

2.0 out of 5 stars Digibook is not remastered, 25 Dec. 2012
I presume most people wanting to buy this Blu-ray digibook edition have already seen the film, so you already know whether you like it. For my money, it's a very good period romance, but never quite steps over into great (except, of course, John Barry's wonderful score). The film alone would get four stars from me.

I'm mainly writing this review to make clear that Universal have taken the cheapskate option with this release. Unlike the US digibook, which has exactly the same cover design, the disc you'll find inside this one is the same disc as the previous release - the one with poor picture quality. It's blurry, smoothed over, lacking in detail and generally everything else that can go wrong with a HD transfer.

If you want this digibook, go for the American version (which is region free). Alternatively, go for the US 100th Anniversary release in the standard plastic case - it's cheaper and the digibook packaging doesn't offer much beyond looking nice.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 1:49 AM GMT

Revelation Space
Revelation Space
by Alastair Reynolds

5.0 out of 5 stars A revelation, 21 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Revelation Space (Paperback)
I have a slightly strange relationship with this book. I originally got it in about 2001, when I was 15. I tried reading it but gave up - it all seemed too strange and sprawling (I mainly read Star Wars novels back then...). A few years later, I tried again, but again it failed to grab me. Finally, not even a week ago, I felt in the mood to try it once more - while waiting for my first Iain M. Banks novel to arrive in the post - and, suffice to say, I'm glad I did.

But enough about me. This is an astoundingly brilliant book. After starting with three apparently completely separate strands and protagonists, the threads gradually converge, Reynolds throwing in numerous great twists and reveals along the way. The pacing is very fast, sometimes disconcertingly so, as you're flung between various characters and places (and even years) within the space of mere pages. Before long, I loved the frequent changes of perspective.

The only downside I encountered was my own inability to grasp some of the author's concepts and creations, but I put that down more to my lack of imagination rather than any shortcoming in Reynolds' descriptions. It makes for an exhilarating read, never slowing in its unveiling of magnificent new things. Most importantly, of course, it's all married to an utterly compelling plot, which barely stops ramping up in suspense and intensity right to its breathless conclusion.

I seem to be running out of superlatives here, so let me just say this: it's one of the best books I've ever read. I can only really compare my reaction to it with my first viewing of 2001: A Space Odyssey - awe.

The moral of the story? Stick with it.

Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Wired-up HDMI to HDMI Gold Plated Connectors 1.8m Cable v1.3A
Offered by Invero

3.0 out of 5 stars A word of warning, 12 Dec. 2009
This cable (or at least the one I was supplied with) does not work with a Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray player. Strangely, it DOES work with a Philips BDP3000/05, and I must admit the picture quality is fabulous. But when connected to the Sony there's no picture at all.

There are some conflicting reports about this cable - for the record, mine is 1.8m long as advertised, and looks like the photo. But other people seem to have received slightly differing products, so the problem I've encountered with the Sony player may not affect everyone.

Just something to keep in mind before you buy. It's great value - if it works.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 7, 2013 7:49 AM BST

Earfit Foam Ear Plugs 2 Pairs
Earfit Foam Ear Plugs 2 Pairs
Offered by Pharmacy Place

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but don't expect miracles, 22 May 2009
I ordered these ear plugs to give me some respite from a neighbour who likes to play loud music at all hours of the night. They fit nicely and are very comfortable, but they don't block out everything (I can still hear road traffic outside my window, for example). However, they're definitely better than the last ear plugs I had (the christmas tree type), and perhaps I just had unrealistic hopes. For reasonable levels of noise they do the job well.

LG M227WDP 22-inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV/Monitor  (5ms, 10000:1, HDMI)
LG M227WDP 22-inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV/Monitor (5ms, 10000:1, HDMI)

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb value, excellent quality, 14 May 2009
This TV seemed like a great deal for the price, so after a lot of deliberation I ordered one. Overall I couldn't be more pleased with my purchase - this is a superb TV.

Pros
- Great picture and depth of colour. I found it needed adjusting at first, but once the settings are right it's superb. No noticeable motion blurring at all, and top notch clarity.
- Full 1080p HD - XBox 360 looks amazing (I have it connected via component). Try finding true 1080p elsewhere for this price.
- 16:9 aspect ratio, not 16:10 as with many monitors, meaning it's the correct ratio for standard widescreen broadcasts and films.
- Virtually every connection type you could possibly want, often multiples of each (e.g. 2 HDMI sockets).
- Very solid build quality, including the stand, which seems perfectly robust to me.
- Loads of adjustable features to suit all needs, including aspect ratio settings (non-anamorphic DVDs can be stretched to fill the screen, for example), several picture modes (cinema, sport, games, etc) and sound modes.
- The digital tuner picked up every channel, all with excellent reception. There is an analogue tuner too.
- 22" screen size is ideal if the viewing position isn't too far away. It actually appears bigger than I expected.

Cons
- As mentioned elsewhere, the sound isn't great but it's better than I had expected given all the criticisms. Easily as good as other comparably sized LCDs I've tried. I tend to use headphones for films and games anyway.
- The remote control sometimes can be a bit unresponsive.
- Very slight backlight bleed at top and bottom, but I'm normally fussy about these things and it's so minor that it doesn't bother me.
- No automatic 'now and next' display when watching digital TV. The programme guide makes this insignificant though.

Note that I have only used this as a TV rather than a computer monitor, but in that capacity I am completely satisfied with it. Highly recommended.