Profile for Barry > Reviews

Content by Barry

Barry "Baz" (Staffordshire England)

Page: 1 | 2
Shoe Horns Metal 79cm
Shoe Horns Metal 79cm
Offered by Rift Shoes

5.0 out of 5 stars No more bending, no more back ache, forget tying shoe laces:-), 27 May 2014
This long shoe horn is great for slipping on laced shoes, without bending (and without tying laces every time!) Ideal if you're lazy like me and find bending a pain. It's all metal, smooth edges, so comfortable and strong and can hang up easily without a strap, so not fiddly. My old plastic one snapped, that should never happen to this all metal one. I'm 6'1", so if you're fairly tall, this could be ideal. Full marks plus, way more than satisfied. Barry

Asus MeMo Pad HD 7 (ME173X) HD7 Multi-Angle 'Pen' Case with 2 in 1 Stylus / Biro Pen by LuvTab® (Black)
Offered by Laptop Kit UK

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but.., 17 Jan 2014
Doesn't stand up easily. Sound and on/off buttons on pad difficult to access when in case. Pluses, apart from this, fits well, front and rear camera lenses not blocked by case, neat holes in case over speaker, stylus pen writes easily and well and rubbery tip end doesn't leave any marks. Barry

Anker® Screen Protector for Asus MeMO Pad HD 7 [2 Pack] - Xtreme Scratch Defender Ultra-Clear High-Response Premium with Lifetime Warranty
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must, 17 Jan 2014
Goes on easily and , with care, no bubbles. Substantial and clear, now had on for a few weeks. Before, every finger touch showed, now hardly any finger touches show, so much less cleaning. Perfect fit, would NOT like to be without it.

Morphy Richards Accents 120001 Brita Filter Plastic Jug Kettle - Rose Red
Morphy Richards Accents 120001 Brita Filter Plastic Jug Kettle - Rose Red
Offered by Pricelover Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent value for money, less problems than much more expensive ones., 17 Jan 2014
Unlike my previous Brita kettle, this kettle 's lid opens in a flash, closes with a quick push down, is easy to use, still has attractive blue light when heating and is much cheaper than my previous fancy Brita kettle. Barry

Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Corded Rotary Lawnmower (40 cm Cutting Width)
Bosch Rotak 40 Ergoflex Corded Rotary Lawnmower (40 cm Cutting Width)

5.0 out of 5 stars Well used this summer, brilliant., 10 Dec 2012
Takes low and high grass well, even when wet. Has been reliable and mows right up to edge of grass. Had doubts about going back to cable, rather than battery. However, much more powerful and happily mow when wet or damp and large width of cut helps. Grass about 30feet x 25feet. Handle folds for storage too. Wrapping cable across top of handle seems fine when not in use.

Luckies Chain Floating Bottle Holder
Luckies Chain Floating Bottle Holder
Offered by Topnotchsales

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 10 Dec 2012
On the picture, the chain curves gently upwards to the bottle. The actual product goes from a flat curve along the base, to 90 degrees upwards to the bottle, so it loses the effect completely. This has stimulated me to get back to Luckies for an exchange to see if the do have any like the one advertised. If they do and explain why they sent the 90degree one, fine. If not, I'll feel conned.
However, it does hold a wine bottle easily, without tipping and stays upright when no bottle is installed.
Barry

GTECH HT05 Cordless Hedge Trimmer 14.4v Lithium Ion Battery
GTECH HT05 Cordless Hedge Trimmer 14.4v Lithium Ion Battery
Offered by Gtechonline

5.0 out of 5 stars Best hedgetrimmer ever, 5 Aug 2012
I lost the lightweight battery to my previous Bosche hedgetrimmers. I thought they were much lighter than the old heavy battery models. Then I recently bought this GTECH HT05 Cordless Hedge Trimmer. My previous two trimmers were also cordless. BUT this one, far lighter (about 3.5lbs) and less vibration - no more arm, wrist, hand and back ache. My hedges are over 7 feet tall and I'm a not too mobile 70 years. I just rest the blade on the hedge, press the angle adjust button and move the trimmer to the right angle I want - simple. With the extension too, it is brilliant for the tops, no more ladder with a prayer. My hedges are all shaped; no longer twisting myself into awkward angles to get an accurate shaped cut, I alter the angle and/or the extension. IT REALLY IS SIMPLE AND EASY to adjust. I read with another trimmer, not this type, that you need a lot of pressure to keep the "on" button pressed in - you don't on this one. My time to cut the hedge has literally been halved. I wouldn't use it on anything which is approaching branch thickness, after all they are trimmers not branch cutters!

Charging the battery took less than three hours (for the red charging light to go out) and lasted well over one hour when I was using it, when the leaves were wet! Also I can't lose the battery and don't have any fiddly job detaching it, as it's built in. I just push the little plug into the end of the hedge trimmer, switch the charger on and leave it.

My new neighbour has already decided to buy one.

I do light brush clean the blades after use and 3in1 oil the blades before each use - I want it to last!
Best garden product I've ever bought so far and it's over 47 years since I moved into my present home.

It also arrived within a few days of ordering, well packed and yet easy to unpack.

PS check the weight of any trimmers you are considering - I've seen quite a few other makes weighing 11lbs and more, and many extendable ones wouldn't be any good for close shaping, too big, heavy and clumsy. This one's ideal whether you're young and fit or old and pretty knackered, like me:-)

I did look fairly extensively at lots of others on the Net. For me, both on customer feedback and in actual use, if your garden isn't huge, this is ideal. I'm guessing my hedge is around 90' total length and 5'- 7'6" (varies) in height.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 28, 2013 12:23 AM BST

Balvi - Toothpick holder Help! ABS
Balvi - Toothpick holder Help! ABS
Offered by Miquel & Bover EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun and practical - it works, looks good and gets a smile., 6 Nov 2011
This review is from: Balvi - Toothpick holder Help! ABS
Excellent value, works every time, looks good, to refill, just lift the side case up and drop in tooth picks from the top. I haven't counted, but it holds quite a lot. They are a particular size, so I just got a small stock from the Net. Great as a present too.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2013 3:14 PM GMT

Hama Camera Strap Pro Ii
Hama Camera Strap Pro Ii
Offered by George and Freddie

5.0 out of 5 stars 100% happy customer, 6 Nov 2011
I have a Panasonic FZ38 Bridge camera,a Lowenpro TLZ Mini case and a Lowenpro SlingShot 200AW small camera rucksack.

On long trips, my camera & hood fitted in the Mini case, which in turn fitted in the rucksack.

When I'm just out and about, I don't generally need to carry all my "stuff" (telephoto lens, Macro lens, etc, etc) so I just took the camera and the small case slung over my shoulder. But, the standard camera strap was a bit too short to leave that strap over my shoulder while still in the case and nearly zipped closed.With the camera strap tucked away in the case with the camera, I often found that by the time I had got it all out and put the strap around my neck, I'd missed the shot!

So I looked for a longer camera strap and found the Hama Camera Strap Pro Ii.It also had these two little zip bag attachments and it was longer than my standard FZ38 camera strap. So I thought I'd try it.

Now I can have both the camera strap and the case strap around my neck, camera still in the case, spare battery at hand in the strap zip case, enough room for filters, cleaning spray and wipers,blower and brush, camera lens hood as well as the camera, without needing anything else. And I can have it out in a flash (sorry, with the camera strap already around my neck. It all also still fits neatly into the rucksack, with space for a sandwich or two and all the other accessories, with the ability to carry a tripod as well when I'm thinking of doing some telephoto shots.

I wouldn't even class my self as an amateur, after a year I've only just learn how to use manual focus..So you can see why no video review.. But, altogether I have great fun and that little strap with its two zip pockets have just made the experience perfect:-)

It also was delivered quickly and well packaged. Thanks Hama and thanks Amazon. Barry.

The Holy Bible: New International Version
The Holy Bible: New International Version
by International Bible Society (Editors)

1.0 out of 5 stars False Prophets, 30 April 2011
Compare this bible with the King James Version, 1611 and "The Bible Revised Standard Version" The British and Foreign Bible Society.
1 Corinthians 6:9.

(I've put the mis-translations in capitals)

Holy Bible New International Version:
"Do you not know that the WICKED will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the SEXUALLY immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor MALE PROSTITUTES nor HOMOSEXUAL OFFENDERS nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the immoral nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor sexual perverts, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God."

It adds "immoral" to "sexually immoral" .
It changes "nor sexual perverts" to "MALE PROSTITUTES nor HOMOSEXUAL OFFENDERS" (Doesn't even include female prostitutes - can you guess why?!:-))
It changes "nor revilers, nor robbers" to "nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers"

Whether you believe in the view that homosexuality is right or wrong, from the hundreds of versions and language translations that go to make up the Bible, for gross distortion like this, I can only guess that these translators of the New International Version will be seen as qualifying for deceit and immorality of the first order!

This so called Bible was used at a lecture to Keele University students by a fairly local preacher, the students included some from the African continent, where we know what happens to Gays. He stated that the bible should be taken literally and that challenging "the Bible" is a serious sin and will deny entrance to heaven. He read the new version about homosexuality and said it was a quote from THE BIBLE, not mentioned, until questioned, which version!

He refused to consider reading a rare book with the "Imprimi Potest"(Official permission by the Roman Catholic Church to print; mysteriously withdrawn two years later!)called The Church and the Homosexual by JJ. McNeill,S.J. (a Jesuit priest)Pocket Books New York 1978. He'd never heard of it, but had read something similar(!!-think about that!) from the Church of England and had found it "rather dark". And yet he and this bible are prepared to use a fake interpretation of the main English version of "the Bible", not even prepared to consider the counter view that the bible was never against homosexuality per se, only against promiscuity and a lack of hospitality, with original translations taking the original words in the original language out of context. So they should have been studied, back to source. (I'll bet someone will claim they have, knowing that hardly anyone will know the original language to be able to check for themselves, especially the context, hence the power of those who have that knowledge, genuine or not, competent or not!)

This is bad enough, but putting your own strongly held views, based on a book of books (some original books of the bible no longer included in more modern versions), not giving the opposing view a fair hearing "because I know I am right" or even a fair reading, smacks of extreme bigotry and acting as a "perfect" human being, a mini God.

And the consequences? Many millions of people in mental agony, some horribly killed, and, just maybe, a massive mis interpretation of the original bible books and a further deliberate distortion, to push a particular view with this new "bible". Throw it in the fire, this false prophet and any other false prophets who are absolutist.

"I know I'm right", are dangerous bigots and don't, in my imperfect view, represent any sort of loving, compassionate God. They are effectively mass killers, as history demonstrated so clearly. Follow our conscience, not these demi gods. As Cardinal Heenan said that if you follow the dictates of your own conscience and if you are mistaken, God will forgive you. I'm not claiming he is right, but that makes a lot more sense to me than the blind following of any book, a cop out from conscience.

Follow any book rigidly and moulding your conscience to suit a nice simple way of life to follow and threatening people with no chance of heaven, with massive rewards to follow that book, or the equivalent in different religions,scoring points for saving souls, those so called savers of souls are,I think, far more likely to finish up in hell than most of the one's they think are doomed! Unquestioning following of any religion is throwing away the conscience which maybe God given, for a rule book, all written by humans, mostly men - imperfect men, who other imperfect humans claim to be the words of God or inspired by God - how crazy! To be sure you have to be perfect in your reasoning and faith, but God says we are not! As Bronowski said, standing in the pool of ashes at Auschwitz Concentration Camp, something like, I beseech you from the bowels of Christ, think again.

Throw this rubbish away - either that bible or this note or both! Good luck and God / Allah bless us(if he/she/it exists). Isn't genuine love Godly? if practiced in a caring and conscience led way, is it not? Judgement and condemning to hell should be consigned to God, the same as the death penalty. While this isn't so, we'll continue to kill and make miserable millions of people and to execute some entirely innocent men, women and children. Christian? Muslim? My conscience tells me, rightly or wrongly, that the real God has no Denomination and will be like a loving parent, loving, compassionate and forgiving and certainly not happy for his/her/its children to have the power of death over their brothers and sisters of. We're not that clever, we're not that perfect and we shouldn't be that arrogant or ignorant, I think that this "bible" effectively encourages condemnation and death to gays because of some ignorant or evil "false Prophet" translators. It is wicked and it is not true or accurate enough to carry such a title.

I could go on,

Best wishes, I hope religious people will seek the real truth's or as close as we can get, through an open mind, not a blind following of any human rule book. If God exists, I believe our true inspirations will come from a combination of open mindedness and our own conscience and checking things out, not the easy lazy way!

I did.

Love & hugs to everyone

B
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 8:48 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2