Profile for Lilli de la Field > Reviews

Content by Lilli de la Field

Lilli de la Field (Hampshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel: Starring Marius Goring (Golden Days of Radio)
by Marius Goring
Edition: Audio Cassette

5.0 out of 5 stars Something special, 7 Mar. 2009
A number of years ago I was suffering from a complaint (now cured), that often woke me up in the middle of the night with agonizing stomach pains, and after trying various ways of taking my mind off the pain whilst waiting an hour for the painkillers to kick in, I discovered "The Adventures of the Scarlet Pimpernel" (and the two others that followed), from the Golden Age of Radio. Created and taped in the fifties for radio, I was able to close my eyes and be transported back to eighteenth century France where a daring adventurer rescued victims from under the nose of Chauvelin himself.

It made me smile and laugh and cheer, and made that year of painful sleepless nights so much less painful!

Each play is not too long, maybe twenty minutes each, and so is easy to listen to and very enjoyable. The fact that it was recorded live is barely noticeable as the standard is high throughout. The musical score is typical of the times, but seems to add to the suspence nonetheless.

The Pimpernel is played here by Marius Goring, remembered mostly I suspect from his portrayal as the Heavenly Messenger from the classic film 'A Matter of Life and Death', although had I not known it, I would never have guessed it was the same man!

These are no longer in production, and it is a terrible shame that they stand in danger of being lost forever. They are a timeless classic that are well worth trying to preserve...if only to show that you can enjoy a good dramatized tale without having to stare at the t.v set all evening!

Anyone fond of the books, series or films based on Orczy's Pimpernel Novels would love these old recordings, and a good many people new to the character would love them too. If you can hold of them, don't hesitate!

Doctor Who: The Forever Trap: No. 2 (Dr Who Audio Original 2)
Doctor Who: The Forever Trap: No. 2 (Dr Who Audio Original 2)
by Dan Abnett
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 7 Mar. 2009
"The Forever Trap" is a great story, cleverly constructed and brilliantly read by Catherine Tate. Listening to her I could almost believe it was Donna Noble herself telling the story. She gave us ingenius and thoroughly believable voices for all of the different characters, and made the story really come alive. I loved David Tennant's reading of the first story in this series, 'Pest Control', but against all my expectations, I enjoyed this one even more. Brilliantly done all!!!

Well done Dan Abnett and Catherine Tate!

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 1 Box Set [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Christopher Eccleston
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 4 Mar. 2009
When I first learned that they were bringing back Doctor Who I was both tremendously excited and very worried too. We have seen nervous TV bosses cancelling a show after a few episodes if it doesn't immediately grab the audience figures they are after, and I was certain that bringing back Doctor Who as it had been when it went off the air would spell certain doom. I was very dubious that the makers of this new series would be able to both please fans of the original whilst attracting the new generation at the same time. My first glimpse of Christopher Eccleston as the Doctor did not make me change my mind straight away either.

However, the storytelling is such an important part of the show. I wanted to know why the new Doctor looked like an ex-army recruit, and why would he use explosives to solve a problem (as in the first episode ROSE) when the old Doctor we knew and loved would have been appalled at the idea? But the whole thing comes clear in the storytelling. It made sense that in the years since we saw the Doctor last, his life has moved on. Things have happened in his universe that we are not party to. Christopher Eccleston's take on the Doctor was perfect considering the mind-boggling backstory that was created for this new series. It also makes sense that even the Doctor would be severely traumatised by his experiences fighting in a war that saw his entire race of Time Lords and his home planet Gallifrey destroyed.

Treating the characters and their world as real rather than two-dimensional beings is what makes them so completely believable. I think this new series was very very brave, but absolutely perfectly done. Anything less would have flopped massively, and in that case the show would have sunk out of sight and would have been unlikely ever to re-emerge. The backstory also gives a good foundation for stories that focus on the heart of the characters rather than the same story week after week; (alien invades, the Doctor steps in and saves us all, everyone applaud). Instead we see cracking good scripts and wonderful performances.
This series is a good buy all round. If you have been living on the moon recently and have somehow missed the new Doctor Who...start here! You can't go wrong!

Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Complete BBC Series 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Tennant
Offered by Quality Media Supplies Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Pure Gold!, 2 Mar. 2009
The whole idea of bringing back Doctor Who after fifteen years off the air was a huge gamble in my opinion, because the only way to KEEP it on air is to guarantee high viewing figures. That means, in essence, making everyone love it! The younger viewers, the kids who weren't even born when the original series was cancelled, and the stalwart fans of the original. I was excited, but extremely doubtful whether they could pull it off...But they did, with nobs on! The whole thing is pure, 24 carat gold!

I thought the first series was great, and Christopher Eccleston did an amazing job of winning me over as a fan of the old series, and I was heartbroken when I found he had left at the end of the first series. I had never heard of David Tennant until his casting was announced, and to be honest I had my doubts about his ability to pull it off under the circumstances. I will never doubt the Doctor Who Production Team again!

To anyone who has yet to see it, hurry and do so because series 2 is a fitting follow up to series 1. The stories are bigger and better, the scripts brilliant, and the acting talent of the leading man in particular absolutely blew my mind. I had to buy this box set, and it is well worth the money. From the Children in Need special to the heart-wrenching finale where we see the Doctor bid a tearful farewell to a heartbroken Rose, it is an amazing ride, full of drama, laughter and tears.

To say what is best about the series is impossible. The cast is brilliant, the costumes beautiful, the sets are amazing and the CGI effects out of this world.

Included in the added extras is a specially filmed video-diary of David Tennant's first year in the part...very moving in places I thought, and gives an interesting insight into the hard work and the fun involved in the making of a series of Doctor Who.

The only criticism I would make is that the episodes of Doctor Who Confidential are edited to a very cut down version of each. It would have been nice to have been able to re-watch the entirety of each program; but the whole thing is beautifully done. Well done BBC and Russell T Davies! Long may the Doctor continue!

Goodbye, Mr Chips [DVD] [2002]
Goodbye, Mr Chips [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Martin Clunes
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Version Yet Made, 8 Oct. 2008
This version of Goodbye Mr Chips is in my opinion a superb production and by far the best version yet made. The story is familiar, a strict disciplinarian schoolmaster who mellows with age and wins the love and respect of everyone around him.

Martin Clunes was an inspired choice for the part of Mr Chipping, and his powerful performance was the most touching thing I have ever seen.... ever! I defy anyone with half a heart to watch this film and remain unmoved by it.

Martin Clunes played Chips from a young twenty-something, through to a caring and much beloved headmaster in his late eighties, and not only is his performance thoroughly believable, the make-up department also did a bang-up job in making him look totally genuine as an old man.

Also starring Victoria Hamilton as Chips' young wife Kathie, this is a beautiful film, and not to be missed...but keep your hankies handy!

Ramage and the Renegades
Ramage and the Renegades
by Dudley Pope

5.0 out of 5 stars a swashbuckling tale, 15 Sept. 2008
Dudley Pope's Ramage novels are all brilliant, although this adventure is my absolute favourite. Here we have Ramage sent on a peacetime mission during the brief peace in 1802 ( or thereabouts) to an island in the south seas where he has to fight pirates and rescue a beautiful damsel (along with everyone else on her ship of course); and falls madly in love with her. What better plot could you have for a dashing, swashbuckling adventure story?
Ramage is unlike Hornblower or Aubrey in that there is much less gore and more romanticism; but Pope is an historian and knows his subject well. A great book to take away on holiday and savour.
Why they haven't made these books into films beats me!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2012 7:54 PM BST

The Tomorrow People: The New Generation - Complete Series [DVD]
The Tomorrow People: The New Generation - Complete Series [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kristian Schmid

4.0 out of 5 stars not at all bad, 13 Sept. 2008
If you can take this modern version of the classic series on its own merits and forget the original series ever existed, then this is great, tops! The stories were great, the actors too and it had a great deal of potential that, sorry to say, was not fully realised. Had it been, this series might have had a much longer run. If it had been billed as a continuation of the original, and handled as such rather than as a remake, it would have gone a lot further toward winning over the stalwart fans of the original series.

Be that as it may, The New Tomorrow People is good stuff, and in my opinion still stands out as good solid and entertaining drama for kids and adults alike. (My mum likes this too...she's now in her 60s). Go on, try it!

Gremloids, Hyperspace [DVD]
Gremloids, Hyperspace [DVD]
Dvd ~ Alan Marx

1.0 out of 5 stars Gremloids?, 13 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Gremloids, Hyperspace [DVD] (DVD)
Perhaps I should sit down and watch this one again in view of the other reviews posted here, but my brothers and I got this from the video shop years ago and vowed never to watch it ever again.

Bad? Yes, this is definitely bad! The worst film I've ever seen. At the time I hated it...but as a spoof it does actually work quite well. I still can't work out if it is just a very good spoof or a very bad amateur production. The sight of a grown man striding around the streets with an upturned bucket on his head is a vision I have never been able to forget. It's worth seeing once, but as for buying it...on your head be it...!

102 Dalmatians (Live Action) [DVD] [2000]
102 Dalmatians (Live Action) [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Glenn Close

3.0 out of 5 stars here we go again!, 30 Aug. 2008
Actually this is an enjoyable enough movie for those who love Glenn Close or Ioan Gruffudd, and there are lots of fun elements to enjoy. The parrot who thinks he is a dog is an absolute scream, and the film itself is well made and well shot in my opinion. There is nothing really wrong with it except for the story itself. I can't even fault the script really...I think they did the best they could under the circumstances, and the actors all came up trumps...but as I say it's the story that lets the whole thing down.
Sometimes an original story based on established characters can work well (and has done), but this is not one of them. The story in my opinion is far-fetched even for a Disney film, and rather daft, but all in all it makes the most of what it has, and will certainly entertain the kids and undemanding adults.

Robin Hood - Men In Tights [DVD]
Robin Hood - Men In Tights [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cary Elwes
Offered by Bonkers4Bargains!

5.0 out of 5 stars unmissable!, 27 Aug. 2008
I've seen so many versions of Robin Hood...Patrick Bergin, Kevin Costner, Errol Flynn, Richard Todd, Michael Praed, Jason Connery...not to mention the recent tv series; but Cary Elwes really takes the mickey out of all those films in a brilliantly funny way. No matter how many times I watch this one, it has me in stitches from the opening credits, all the way through to the very end. Robin Hood - Men in Tights is not supposed to be a serious film. It takes the mickey out of the entire Robin Hood genre, and even out of itself. It is hilarious, irreverent and very, very refreshing to watch. Don't miss this film!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5